Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1130, 1131, 1132 ... 1235, 1236, 1237  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out when the class I teach next term will be held, and I still can't find that information on the university website.

Related: I am filling out a bunch of university compliance forms about the company I am starting. One question is: will anyone from your research group be working a) less than 50% effort or b) greater than 50% effort at the company? Of course, someone will be, but working 50% effort. So do I say "no", check both, or what?
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's nice to know that they treat faculty as badly as the rest of us.

and that's an 'or', so it is true for everyone who is not working exactly 50%.
you should hire everyone on for 50%, say 'no', and then let them figure out what you are doing with all those employees, who apparently aren't working.

Michael wrote:
I guess you should start by learning how the export function works Wink

oh, don't even get me started on the hoops you have to jump through to get data out of the damn thing. that's when you find out they have assigned the whole damn question as the variable name.

it's competition is software that lets you name the variables whatever you like, and label them nicely (e.g., with the text of the question) - then exports everything into excel and strips off the labels.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael there's money to be made in making applications like graduate applications or form data compilers that aren't ridiculous. Save us from whoever is making the ones we have.

Just uploaded info to UIC. When you submit a PDF (you have to upload multiple) it thanks you for your upload, but doesn't give you a button or link to return to the page where you upload everything else. There are no links at all. Just a thank you, and I'm paranoid about using the back button on anything I have to login to.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, professors are like cats. Getting more than one of them to do anything, or getting any one of them to do something quickly, requires intense effort or a can of tuna fish.

I'm sure Dro is the exception. I don't know what he'd do for tuna.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suspect 'what dro will do for tuna' is one of those things that rapidly moves into TMI territory.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
As you would expect from XKCD, it's 100% true. It takes a half-dozen clicks just to get to a list of departments (you usually have to select a college first, which is a useless step, no one cares; just put up a damn alphabetical list). They also usually have a link to their graduate school, but there's no point in going there, because it will eventually (17.4 clicks later) direct you to the department website for the information you need, and there will be a link directly to the application from there anyway.

Again, Colorado State has done this brilliantly... there's an alphabet across the top of their home page that links you to everything you might want. Hitting P gets you a list of things like "Pingree Park," "Pagan Student Alliance," and, of course, "Psychology, Department of." I want to go just because of their website user-friendliness. Suck it, Vanderbilt.

My wife has been trying for over a month now to find out details about her school's Creative Writing masters program. All attempts at both contacting people and going through the website have lead back to the same generic brochure (I think we have four copies of it now). Apparently the school says that for her master's thesis she can either submit a portfolio or write a novel. So what she wants to know is a) how large does the portfolio need to be or b) how long does the novel need to be. She can get neither a) nor b) answered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does she have an advisor?... I thought they were the ones that are supposed to give you info like that.

Most of my university knowledge is grounded in undergrad though, so. Plus I spent most of undergrad without an advisor because nobody wanted me. I ended up sitting with the head of the department while she went through my transcript and just assigned things to be specific credits because classes I needed to graduate no longer existed.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well she's already graduated with her bachelors, but she did try her advisor. She didn't respond to my wife's email, she sent us one of the brochures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Does she have an advisor?... I thought they were the ones that are supposed to give you info like that.

Most of my university knowledge is grounded in undergrad though, so. Plus I spent most of undergrad without an advisor because nobody wanted me. I ended up sitting with the head of the department while she went through my transcript and just assigned things to be specific credits because classes I needed to graduate no longer existed.

I had a jerk for an undergrad advisor. He would send me 20-minute time slots for graduation credit advising, which takes more than 20-minutes, and then when I (my own fault) missed an appointment because I missed a bus he refused to see me again... like two weeks before I was supposed to turn everything in. I ended up walking down the hall to a professor who I was doing research with and asking her to do it, which was embarrassing.

Darq, I would find out who is the director of the master's program, then call the department office and find out when their office hours are, then go down there all polite like and ask questions in person. Bring a brochure in case they try to give you another.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Darq, I would find out who is the director of the master's program, then call the department office and find out when their office hours are, then go down there all polite like and ask questions in person. Bring a brochure in case they try to give you another.

That's a great idea . . . except her school is 7-8 hours away in New Hampshire Wink
The list of schools that have MA programs that don't residency requirements is very short. http://www.snhu.edu/online-degrees/graduate-degrees/english-and-creative-writing-MA-online/fiction.asp
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did eventually get Two Pints into bed, so we could watch Brave& cuddle & get high.

Only when I explained that I'm a total lightweight on weed, I think she underestimated me. I threw a total whitey and coma'd for two hours. Ruined the most fun night I could have imagined.

She's agreed to go out with me Thursday, but we both know I ain't gonna be bothering her pants.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy a hat.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
i suspect 'what dro will do for tuna' is one of those things that rapidly moves into TMI territory.

Dogen wrote:
I had a jerk for an undergrad advisor.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Michael there's money to be made in making applications like graduate applications or form data compilers that aren't ridiculous. Save us from whoever is making the ones we have.

Just uploaded info to UIC. When you submit a PDF (you have to upload multiple) it thanks you for your upload, but doesn't give you a button or link to return to the page where you upload everything else. There are no links at all. Just a thank you, and I'm paranoid about using the back button on anything I have to login to.

Just using dropbox, google calendar and other free online or offline tools the whole thing is fairly easy to organise (there's one for forms specifically whose name I can't recall right now), but that's not what universities (or companies) want, they want someone to come in and provide a system that does everything (and has some room for a logo somewhere) and then provide a certain level of support.

There's money to be made if you're willing to _hire_ a bunch of programmers and sit through a load of boring talks and pledge to spend the next few years of your life doing so.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. You should do that, for the sake of me and mouse and Dro. I nominate you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1130, 1131, 1132 ... 1235, 1236, 1237  Next
Page 1131 of 1237

Jump to: