welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155 ... 312, 313, 314  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
In Iowa you're too sexy for your job, too sexy for your job, job's going to leave you.

can the iowa supreme court be a single entity i can punch in its fucking teeth
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to point out, that fedoras are totally okay hats to wear.

Although I personally prefer bowlers and trilbys.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Dogen wrote:
In Iowa you're too sexy for your job, too sexy for your job, job's going to leave you.

can the iowa supreme court be a single entity i can punch in its fucking teeth

Right? Your boss has the right to fire you for being attractive and doing a good job and not doing anything inappropriate... uhh... I'm sure there's a, oh Iowa is a right to work state? Yeah. Tough luck, babe. Ugly yourself up so the menfolk won't be distracted.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oop, but if you ugly yourself up you're less likely to be hired in the first place

if only you would just stop being a woman that would solve all your problems
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to dress up the perfect amount to titillate the men in the room during your interview, but then dress frumpy at work so as not to distract the married guys... but still be sexy so you seem available to the single guys. But don't be slutty, or a tease.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to repeat "I still believe in nice people." over and over again until the urge to set things on fire goes away.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a girl who was once a police officer in Jersey, but they bsically told her "You're too hot and sexy for people to take you seriously." Now she's part of the police force for the local high school.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Sometimes, we fail more than others as human beings:

http://news.yahoo.com/india-police-water-cannon-tear-gas-gang-rape-105338680.html

Note those are only the reported figures, the actual ones are way higher.

That reminded me about another local issue : Dowry death. Oddly Wiki mentions husband first, then inlaws when locally it's the other way around. The stepmother rules her house with and iron fist, and woe to any girl that doesn't fit her standard as long as the couple lives under the parent's roof.

Now, throwing acid to the face of an ex-lover, that's a man thing (mostly seen in Pakistan). Sati, burning the widows along with her recently deceased husband is thankfully becoming more rare.

And while we're all fluff, ponies and love, let's not forget forcing a girl back into her father's country to get wed to an illiterate second cousin; honour killing along with latest variant honour forced suicide.

These exist, there is no denying that, and women' condition in India isn't improving much since 47. It's improving still, but not from the top end, politicos aren't doing much, when they're not actually hindering the process.

As for police reaction. It's pretty typical whatever the reason people demonstrates on the street; the title was a bit misleading that way.
Samsally

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always makes me a bit on edge when people want to talk about the conditions of a country I've never even visited, let alone lived in. It also worries me that many people from well-to-do countries (and lets be honest, 'murca's pretty notorious for this) like to look into other countries and go "OMG YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" and get all social justice on them -without bothering to fix their own damned problems first-.

Like, that world is so far away from mine there is no way in hell I would ever be able to make a truly informed opinion, let alone actually do something to change people's lives for the better.

I don't want to seem like I haven't got compassion for people in those situations, because believe me, every time I hear these stories it breaks my heart. But lamenting it on a forum so far removed from the reality of the situation isn't going to help anybody.

The point is to help people, and I'm not convinced one country pushing their weight around in another country is the way to fix this sort of problem. Too much existing prejudice, too many sweeping generalizations, and too many misunderstandings that lead to angry people with guns making poor choices.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
It always makes me a bit on edge when people want to talk about the conditions of a country I've never even visited, let alone lived in. It also worries me that many people from well-to-do countries (and lets be honest, 'murca's pretty notorious for this) like to look into other countries and go "OMG YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" and get all social justice on them -without bothering to fix their own damned problems first-.

Like, that world is so far away from mine there is no way in hell I would ever be able to make a truly informed opinion, let alone actually do something to change people's lives for the better.

I don't want to seem like I haven't got compassion for people in those situations, because believe me, every time I hear these stories it breaks my heart. But lamenting it on a forum so far removed from the reality of the situation isn't going to help anybody.

The point is to help people, and I'm not convinced one country pushing their weight around in another country is the way to fix this sort of problem. Too much existing prejudice, too many sweeping generalizations, and too many misunderstandings that lead to angry people with guns making poor choices.

Re: what happens elsewhere.

The problem with only talking about known coutry/culture is that you're left with actually a local solution to what is a global problem; and one size doesn't fit all.

The problems mentionned above exist, thankfully they're not that often on the frontpage. Not because newspapers are talking about something else, but because they're actually being addressed, but at their own pace and in their own time. Sometime it takes one a trip half the world away to help understand something lying right at one's doorstep. It's fair to say I'm one of the most travelled fester currently. From my own experience so far, even with clashing cultural differences there are a lot of common issues we face daily.

Lamenting is useless, granted, sharing ideas and ways out isn't.

---
Add India is a lovely place to visit or live in; you're missing out really.
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sam: you should shut off or replace your avatar - I can't view any page that you have posted in because the image is hosted by a known malware propagator

re: india ó i have plenty of coworkers from india. The four girls talk about returning there with dread, absolute dread. They call it a corrupt miserable country that treats dalits and women like trash, and dalit women doubly so, and they cannot abide spending any longer than absolutely necessary in it, even if their family is there, and they pretty much can't wait to peace out back to 'muricah once they get updated work visas.

rape is commonplace and as i have noted before you can buy off an entire police force and rape with impunity. just don't let a mob of the literally hundreds of women you've raped catch you in the courtroom and you're good
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam the Eagle wrote:
Re: what happens elsewhere.

The problem with only talking about known coutry/culture is that you're left with actually a local solution to what is a global problem; and one size doesn't fit all.

Okay, so you're referring to sexism as a global problem and dismissing local solutions? There is no global solution that I know of, sexism is a vast diverse thing. Just as diverse as the cultures it resides in. Even if there is an all encompassing solution here is no good way to police it. It does no good dismissing local solutions as generally they are the only ones that we have power to implement.

For instance, I'm kinda new at this and I'm not well versed in politics, so I'm starting small and stick to pointing out problematic things I personally encounter. Sometimes, when people have problematic behavior pointed out to them in a reasonable way they will reevaluate their position and choose to change for the better. I'm not going to rock the world with my methods, but occasionally I get through to people and every little bit helps.

Sam the Eagle wrote:
The problems mentionned above exist, thankfully they're not that often on the frontpage. Not because newspapers are talking about something else, but because they're actually being addressed, but at their own pace and in their own time. Sometime it takes one a trip half the world away to help understand something lying right at one's doorstep. It's fair to say I'm one of the most travelled fester currently. From my own experience so far, even with clashing cultural differences there are a lot of common issues we face daily.

Lamenting is useless, granted, sharing ideas and ways out isn't.

It's lovely that you want to start sharing ideas and solutions to sexism. Please be sure to post them here when you've come up with any.

Sam the Eagle wrote:
Add India is a lovely place to visit or live in; you're missing out really.

I'm sure it is, but I will pass. I don't have the kind of money I would need to travel safely at this time.
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
sam: you should shut off or replace your avatar - I can't view any page that you have posted in because the image is hosted by a known malware propagator

re: india ó i have plenty of coworkers from india. The four girls talk about returning there with dread, absolute dread. They call it a corrupt miserable country that treats dalits and women like trash, and dalit women doubly so, and they cannot abide spending any longer than absolutely necessary in it, even if their family is there, and they pretty much can't wait to peace out back to 'muricah once they get updated work visas.

rape is commonplace and as i have noted before you can buy off an entire police force and rape with impunity. just don't let a mob of the literally hundreds of women you've raped catch you in the courtroom and you're good

Avatar : Done. Willem already told me it was the host, still looking for one.

Re: rest. I don't want to derail this thread. The point was not to defend one's country blackest sores, dalit and women' condition; but you're broad brushing here. Women condition in Delhi is not the same as it is in Kerala or Naxal or Kolkata (last place: yeew).
Sam the Eagle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:

misreading, zealous anger, high horsing, asshattery.

Not replying to your shit but this point:About India, and specifically Delhi, I have a few practical ideas actually. But since you're the kind to need a tank to feel safe before going into any place, you wouldn't have the proper mindset to hear them.

Stay safe in your bunker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 154 of 314

Jump to: