welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Movie Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 336, 337, 338 ... 346, 347, 348  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitflipper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw The Hobbit, today, myself. Plenty of action. The Song of Lonely Mountain is inspiring, even brought tears to my eyes. Some of the "padding" one may have heard about is actually just placing events related in the past tense in LotR into their proper time and sequence in the overarching story of Middle Earth. And, some of it, is just to give the SFX, sound, foley, and camera crews some chances to over-stimulate the audience--still pretty cool. Jackson manages to make the most of the comic opportunities in the tale, and the cinematography is as visually stunning and breath-catching as ever!

But, I have come away from the experience with a disturbing question which I don't recall puzzling me when I read the book years..., alright, decades ago in my youth: Why is it that damned-near everything in Middle Earth is hell-bent on eating Hobbits and Dwarves?!?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They taste like chicken?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'aight, you convinced me. Imma listen to the ost even if I don't watch the movie itself.
nathan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nature of Existence

I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that "spiritual" people are essentially star trek fanfic writers with grander ambitions.
Canopus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some spiritualists. They might use pretty words about the world, but when it comes down to money and eating to survive, most of them are as petty as any ordinary person.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Martian Kyo wrote:

2D...I avoid 3D screenings. For some reason I don't see the 3D effect, my eyesight ain't perfect, and my eyes get tired if movie's too long.

my brother has that problem, it's something to do with the balance between his eyes (the relative dominance between the two, something like that). he hasn't been able to watch 3d at all, it gives him a headache. this year he went to some sort of doctor and has been doing exercises - hopefully it will help, because it seems like everything is going to 3d.

It's pretty similar.
My right eye is dominant, it does seem that much like Ded I never watch things with both eyes.
Let me know if these exercises help.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Les Miserables was amazing. Crowe as Javert was pretty solid, everyone and everything else ranged from very good to flat-out brilliant. Hathaway's scenes leading up to and including Dream were the most intensely emotional sequence I have ever seen in any form of media. She and Jackman both legit deserve Oscars.
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParaNorman
Justice League Doom
Batman The Dark Knight Returns Part 1
I Am Number Four
Rifftrax Live: Reefer Madness

and assorted Christmas movies
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Saw The Hobbit, today, myself. Plenty of action. The Song of Lonely Mountain is inspiring, even brought tears to my eyes.

The dwarves singing Misty Mountain was awesome.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

List of movies I've seen recently:

1. Twilight - Breaking Dawn Part 2 - You're not going to like it unless you're a Twilight fan. However, it is the best out of all of them. They do some interesting stuff at the end.

2. Life of Pi - Really really well done. Visually and digitally awesome. I know people who've read the book are not as excited about it as I am. However, no movie from a book is ever as good as the book. This movie is very raw and effed up on all kinds of levels but sooo good.

3. Ted - I watched the unedited version. Not sure what the version was like in the theatres but I thought this was dumb comedy at its worst. I like Seth MacFarlane. I think he is super talented. But this just came across as "let's just throw a bunch of raunchy jokes teenagers would tell in a movie with Mark Wahlberg....oh and we'll add in a digital teddy bear to make it original -- how many movies have digital animated toys right?!."

Granted, I am not a huge fan of the dumb comedy genre but if it's funny enough I will like it. This was not funny at all. Honestly, the only jokes I found humerous were the ones Ted was making about 90's music when he was doing karaoke. On a sidenote to this, when I saw the trailers for this movie I thought it was Vince Vaughn doing the voice of Ted and not Seth. Whoops.

4. Les Miserables - I saw this on Christmas Day with a jam packed theatre and it was absolutely brilliant. There are so many things I like about how they did this movie and who they picked. I like that the actors are singing live on set whilst taping and they added the orchestra later. It made it stay somewhat true to what people know and not some big movie production.

I love that they picked Hathaway for Fantine. That's her real hair they are cutting in that scene. I like that she saw Les Miserables when she was seven and watched her mother play the role of Fantine -- that it was the deciding factor on her wanting to act and sing. I like the sets and the costume design. I thought they were just magnificent.

The only thing I wasn't that impressed with was Russell Crowe. He wasn't bad by any means and they should cut him some slack on the singing because I think he sang well. I just think he was forgettable and his character isn't the forgettable type.

5. Stuck On You -- I accidentally watched this while I was doing things on my laptop. Again, dumb comedy and not my genre but while this movie was stupid it had some funny bits to it. I laughed more at this movie than Ted, so that's saying something.

I really really want to go see Lincoln now.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Martian Kyo"]uote="mouse"]
Martian Kyo wrote:

Let me know if these exercises help.

we didn't get to find out. We were going to see "life of pi " in 3d, but they were sold out. He said his doctor told him he should go see a 3d movie, though, so I told him to go see one when he got home, so hopefully he will let me know how it goes.
and I have managed to go out to absolutely nothing on my own. I did finally watch "breakfast at tiffanys " from netflix, which has only been laying around here forever.
Snorri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put on The Hobbit, then got bored like 20 minutes in and put on Django Unchained.

Damn that is a good film. Not much to say about it at the moment but seriously, good film.

Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw Dark Knight Rises, I liked it. It wasn't OMGAMAZING, but it was damn good.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done naught much but watch movies this week:

Lawless, C+
The Sweeney, D-
Pan's Labyrinth, B
Cabin In The Woods, B-
Dark Knight Rises, B-
Prometheus, C+
Avengers Assemble, A+ (perfect structure, like Chris Hemsworth's cheekbones)
Dredd, C-
Expendables II, D
Killer Joe, C- (or should that be 'kfC-' lolololol)
Sherlock Holmes: Game Of Shadows, F-
Game Of Thrones season II, A-

There, how's that for insight. A reg'lar Pauline Kael over here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
Pan's Labyrinth, B

Only a B? Pistols at dawn, good sir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 336, 337, 338 ... 346, 347, 348  Next
Page 337 of 348

Jump to: