welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 661, 662, 663 ... 812, 813, 814  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
I think everyone could get behind persecuting juggalos.

dude you clearly haven't thought about magnets
I mean really thought about them
and nah man I don't want to talk to no scientist
y'all motherfuckers lying, and getting me pissed

Darqcyde wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
So, this happened.

My fear of a real life 1984 is somewhat tempered by my relatively high dislike for most of the people associated with the OWS movement.

Say what? Who do you speak of when you say "most of the people"? Victim's of overly aggressive police? Victims of predatory scholastic lending practices? People who give a damn that pay rates have effectively gone down over the past twenty years while corporate profit margins are the highest they've been in the history of the US?

YOU KNOW PEOPLE LIKE THAT???

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it's another school shooting - but note highlighted bit:
Quote:
A student armed with a shotgun opened fire at a California high school on Thursday, critically wounding a fellow student before two adult staff members talked the boy into giving up his weapon, and he was arrested, authorities said.

The shooting comes less than four weeks after a December rampage at a Connecticut elementary school where a gunman killed 20 children and six adults in an attack that shocked the nation and has fueled a heated national debate over gun control.

The latest shooting unfolded Thursday morning at Taft Union High School in the Kern County town of Taft, about 30 miles southwest of Bakersfield and about 100 miles north of downtown Los Angeles

One student critically wounded by gunfire was airlifted to a nearby hospital, Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood said.

A second student received minor injuries while falling over a table trying the flee the classroom, and a third student was taken to a hospital complaining of hearing loss from the sound of a gun blast, Youngblood said.

The lone suspect, a 16-year-old male student, was arrested after a teacher and a school administrator who confronted him persuaded the boy to put his gun down, Youngblood told a televised news conference.

His identity was not immediately released, but police said the suspect apparently had a disagreement with the student who was critically injured.

Sheriff's deputies called to the scene went room-by-room to secure the school, and television news images showed students lined up on the sidewalk outside the school, with parents stopped in cars to pick them up.

(Additional reporting by Tim Gaynor; Writing By Cynthia Johnston; Editing by Paul Thomasch and Carol Bishopric)

so apparently it isn't absolutely _essential_ that teachers gun down disturbed students - although i'm sure the NRA will have reasons why this is not a viable option.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were distracting him while the gunmen could reload, I suspect. Bit of a fluke that it ended there.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think, if the teacher had been armed we could have had only two gunshot casualties instead of the massive one- wait, what?
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I read, it seems like the shooter was trying to murder a specific student he had a grievance with, rather than an attempted mass shooting. Apparently he told the teacher he didn't want to shoot him, and specifically named the person who he wanted to shoot.

( http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/state&id=8949117 )

I'm appalled that a highschool feud could get to the point of attempted murder with a firearm. I had a pretty shitty highschool experience, but the worst violence I ever experienced was being stabbed in the arm with a penknife. And that was half-accidental.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youngblood is a pretty awesome name for a sheriff.
Him

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
So, this happened.

My fear of a real life 1984 is somewhat tempered by my relatively high dislike for most of the people associated with the OWS movement.

You're telling me you're not a fan of drum circles?
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
From what I read, it seems like the shooter was trying to murder a specific student he had a grievance with, rather than an attempted mass shooting. Apparently he told the teacher he didn't want to shoot him, and specifically named the person who he wanted to shoot.

but if the teacher had listened to the nra, and had a gun, and started shooting instead of talking, he could well have shot and killed the student. so we still would have had a higher body count.

i'm in the school that says if you shoot a 16-yr-old kid, even one who intends to kill others, you've still shot a 16-yr-old kid. which i'm kind of against.
Jinx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, that's why we need to train them to be excellent shots, so they can just shoot the gun out of their hands, simply injuring them rather than killing them.

Win-Win
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt I wanted to comment, so I came out of occasional lurking. =P

-------------------------

If only we could reach a happy medium in all this. Gun control especially to specifically regulate and monitor the stockpile of weapons, increased mental health awareness, working to change a society that causes disorders and problems to begin with (without jumping to the the obvious scapegoats instead of the problems that have caused those scapegoats), and even the idea of armed guards in schools.

And to address this, since it'll probably be the only part of my message anyone is interested in, yes, I actually am in favor of having a police officer in schools. My hometown had one in our high school. It wasn't threatening or anything. He was a laid back guy that was their only for security. His name was Monty. To say as we're saying here, that if he'd been at that school in California, he'd just have SHOT the kid and now we'd have a BIGGER body count is naive. Even if it's not always the case, security should be held to the same account as our police force, that shooting is supposed to be the last resort to a situation that seems to have no other outcome. I just wonder...Do we think the first response from having police will always be to shoot first? On the street, do many police forces put so much emphasis on not shooting their guns, that they have to write a thorough explanation for even firing their gun, even if it hit no one?

The same should go for security in schools. In fact the position should be even higher, that you want someone who can rationalize and talk someone down. Someone that's been trained to do so, and took the job knowing they might be putting themselves in harm's way. We're lucky to have compassionate teachers that will reach out to a student, but that's not always the case. That's not their job, nor should it have to be forced on them. You want to hire security that you know will be willing to put themselves at risk for safety, not let that be your stipulation for hiring teachers instead of better criteria like which provides their students with more knowledge.

And Republicans have been quick to point out that Obama's kids' school has several armed guards. Really, that's neither here nor there and is trying to distract from the issue. Still, I think that simply having someone on staff at schools that's trained to talk someone down and put their life on the line through either discussion or stopping someone that is intending more harm doesn't hurt. And I do believe that the knowledge that there's a cop or something there CAN dissuade someone, just as people slow down when they see a white car, not sure if it's a cop. Granted, this is not just handing guns to the teachers and Principal. That's not the way to handle this and is not the same thing, even though so many Republicans tout it as the same.

With so many small schools though, is it plausible to put a security officer in every school? In our current climate? Maybe...but probably not.

Is it the only factor even in the slightest to curving our overall problem in the country? Not even. We need all the other aspects to change the nature of the circumstances, not just address the effect by talking down or shooting the one's that turn to violence.

Last edited by Adyon on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:

but if the teacher had listened to the nra, and had a gun, and started shooting instead of talking, he could well have shot and killed the student. so we still would have had a higher body count.

i'm in the school that says if you shoot a 16-yr-old kid, even one who intends to kill others, you've still shot a 16-yr-old kid. which i'm kind of against.

Wut. I didn't even mention the NRA. Or giving teachers guns.

I was just saying it seemed like a targeted hit rather than an all-out mass shooting.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i'm a bit fixated on the nra's 'solution' to shootings in schools.

i guess, in general, my reaction to gun violence is like my reaction to medical issues in general - it's better to prevent than to have to treat. arming anyone in the school is treatment. treatment tends to be both more expensive and less effective, and it usually doesn't kick in until some damage has been done.

and that's true whether you are talking a cold, or cancer.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLARENCE THOMAS SPEAKS IN COURT although apparently it's not too clear what he actually said.
Quote:
Justice Thomas leaned into his microphone, and in the midst of a great deal of cross talk among the justices, cracked a joke. Or so it seemed to people in the courtroom.

The official transcript confirms that Justice Thomas spoke, for the first time since Feb 22, 2006. It attributes these words to him, after a follow-up comment from Justice Scalia concerning a male graduate of Harvard Law School: “Well – he did not —.” That is all the transcript recites.

Though the transcription is incomplete, people in the courtroom understood him to say that a law degree from Yale may actually be proof of incompetence.

whatever, doesn't seem to have actually been anything relating to the case they were hearing. give him another 7 years, i guess.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Do US schools have liaison officers? Like, a school police officer?

My school did, he used to sit in on our law classes and answer questions from students. Other than that, he mostly just patrolled the halls and school grounds, and talked to students who had got caught with drugs or alcohol.

But being a police officer, he was always packing his service pistol, baton, pepper spray, and for a while a taser as well. I guess it seems weird that one side is arguing that we need more guns in schools, while the other side is arguing we need no guns in schools, meanwhile I saw the liaison officer almost every day, either in the halls or in law class, and I never really gave it a second thought.

Funny thing actually, about the taser. He stopped carrying it after the Vancouver airport tasering. We asked him about it, and he said that it was a combination of bad press pushing officers towards not carrying one, and tightening of the police armory's requirements on taking them out on duty - officers had to do a ton of paperwork and get training re-certified every 3-6 months.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books with happy meals in uk. Think this will actually get more kids into reading. If it gets 1% of the kids into books (into reading them), it's a success.

http://www.geekosystem.com/happy-meal-books/

Part of the article:
Quote:

Instead of the usual cheap plastic toy, for the next five weeks McDonald’s is offering children in the U.K. books with their Happy Meals. That probably means there are a lot of disappointed British children, but for the faction of nerdy little Britons who love books as much as we do, it’s a banner day under the golden arches. During the promotion, McDonald’s intends to give out one book with every Happy Meal they sell. If that’s true, it will inadvertently make them the largest children’s book distributor in the United Kingdom.

The “Happy Readers” campaign kicked off this weekend, replacing toys for books, and it’s already getting support from the British National Literacy Trust (NLT.) The NLT has found that 30% of children in the U.K. don’t own any books. I tried finding the corresponding statistic for the U.S. but my search came up empty-handed.

Each Happy Meal comes with a non-fiction book by publisher DK Books, and book retailer W.H. Smith is working with McDonald’s to allow customers to redeem a book of their choice. This is the latest move by the fast food giant to make Happy Meals more appealing, if not to children than at least to their parents. They have already started offering healthier food options like apple slices instead of french fries. It seems like the next move is to help children become better readers, and that’s wonderful.

A pilot version of this program last year saw McDonald’s give out 9 million books, and if this round of promotion is a success then it may catch on in other countries. It wouldn’t be the first time a fast food chain has bribed children into reading with food. I have fond childhood memories of Pizza Hut’s Book It! program, which offered kids a free pizza in exchange for logging a certain amount of time reading.

more on
http://www.geekosystem.com/happy-meal-books/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 661, 662, 663 ... 812, 813, 814  Next
Page 662 of 814

Jump to: