Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 268, 269, 270  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

she died

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20860569

she got gangraped and beaten so hard on a bus she died
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gender roles in North Korea are shifting. Because if they didn't, everybody would starve to death.
I wish I could say this is a sign of progress within the state but it's really a complicated, nutso situation all around. Definitely deserves a read.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i listened to that on the way home from school. it's pretty amazing; the kind of completely fucked up situation only the DPRK could create by accident.

well worth listening to.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death of India rape victim stirs anger, promises of action
By Ross Colvin and Kevin Lim | Reuters – 12 hrs ago
Quote:
NEW DELHI/SINGAPORE (Reuters) - A woman whose gang rape provoked protests and rare national debate about violence against women in India died from her injuries on Saturday, prompting promises of action from a government that has struggled to respond to public outrage.

The unidentified 23-year-old medical student suffered a brain injury and massive internal damage in the attack on December 16 and died in hospital in Singapore where she had been taken for treatment.

Protesters rallied peacefully in the capital New Delhi and other cities across India to keep the pressure on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's government to get tougher on crimes against women. That was in contrast to the pitched battles protesters fought with police last weekend.

The six suspects held in connection with the attack on the student on a New Delhi bus were charged with murder following her death, police said. The maximum penalty for murder is death.

Authorities, worried about the reaction to the news of her death, deployed thousands of policemen, closed 10 metro stations and banned vehicles from some main roads in the heart of New Delhi, where demonstrators have converged since the attack to demand improved women's rights.

Despite efforts to cordon off the city centre, more than 1,000 people gathered at two locations. Some protesters shouted for justice, others for the death penalty for the rapists.

Most sex crimes in India go unreported, many offenders go unpunished, and the wheels of justice turn slowly, according to social activists who say that successive governments have done little to ensure the safety of women.
Political leaders vowed steps to correct "shameful social attitudes" towards women in the world's biggest democracy.

"The need of the hour is a dispassionate debate and inquiry into the critical changes that are required in societal attitudes," the prime minister said in a statement.

"I hope that the entire political class and civil society will set aside narrow sectional interests and agenda to help us all reach the end that we all desire - making India a demonstrably better and safer place for women to live in."

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/india-gang-rape-victim-dies-singapore-hospital-002303027.html

This article is more about the political response.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meanwhile in pakistan, the war on educating women continues

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/first-malala-now-teachers-shot-on-bus/story-fnb64oi6-1226546757502
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the right place for this:
The Long Life of the ‘Perfect’ Woman
By PAM BELLUCK Published: January 2, 2013

Quote:
What did happen to Elsie Scheel, the “perfect” woman mentioned in an article in Wednesday’s New York Times that described how people considered overweight had a slightly lower risk of dying than those of normal weight?

A century ago, at age 24, Miss Scheel was the subject of a spate of news media coverage after the “medical examiner of the 400 ‘co-eds’ ” at her college, Cornell University, described her as the epitome of “perfect health,” according to a 1912 New York Times article. That article and others also gave her dimensions: 5-foot-7 and 171 pounds, which would have corresponded to a body mass index of 27, putting Miss Scheel in the overweight category. Miss Scheel, it turns out, lived a long life, dying in 1979 in St. Cloud, Fla., three days shy of her 91st birthday.

But though it may be tempting to conclude that Miss Scheel’s longevity exemplifies the benefits of a not-too-low B.M.I, her case is only one anecdote, of course. And, according to family members and to hints provided in early articles, she was a person who valued being active and athletic, had a strong and confident attitude, and, as a daughter of a doctor and a mother of a doctor, may have been steeped in healthy habits that were much more relevant to her survival than her weight.

“She never took an aspirin or a Tylenol,” a granddaughter, Karen Hirsh Meredith, of Broken Arrow, Okla., said in an interview Wednesday. She kept up hobbies like stamp collecting and wrote pieces for the St. Cloud newspaper. And, Ms. Meredith said, “she was still driving late in life.”

Ms. Meredith said she did not recall her grandmother having any illnesses or being hospitalized except for shortly before she died, when she went into the hospital with stomach pain. She ended up having surgery for a perforated bowel and died the next day, Ms. Meredith said.

A death notice said Miss Scheel, who was Mrs. Hirsh when she died, had been a “practical nurse,” although Ms. Meredith said the family believed she did not work after she had children. In 1918 she married Frederick Rudolph Hirsh, an architect who supervised the building of the New York Public Library and who was a widower with two children, Frederick Jr. and Mary. He died in 1933 at 68, leaving his wife to raise a son, John, and a daughter, Elise. She moved to Florida from Mount Vernon, N.Y., in the 1940s and never remarried.

Miss Scheel’s mother, Sophie Bade Scheel, a physician educated at New York Medical College, maintained an active medical practice at a time when relatively few women did. And Miss Scheel may have benefited from good genes: her three siblings were 79, 88 and 93 when they died.

Published reports from 1912 and 1913 provide glimpses of the type of person Miss Scheel was and of her immediate-post-"perfect” experience.

She participated in many sports, playing basketball at Cornell. “I play a guard, where my weight helps,” she told a newspaper. She was a suffragette and, the Times article said, “doesn’t know what fear is.”

She ate only three meals every two days, loved beefsteak and shunned candy and caffeine. An article in The Oregonian asked her about her advice for healthy living, reporting that “Miss Scheel feels that the average girl does too much of the wrong sort of thing — too many dances and not enough good bracing tramps. I just got back from a 25-mile tramp to Enfield Falls.”

Some of the news media coverage was catty, even brutal. And it was extremely detailed. Her particulars — the size of her chest, waist and hips — were compared to the Venus de Milo.

Full Story: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/02/health/the-long-life-of-the-perfect-woman.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerda Lerner is dead.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't as horrific as it first seems, but still some fucked up shit. I mean, 140 year old rape laws are just as good as any other, amirite?
Judge: Law won't protect unmarried victims in rape
Associated Press – Thu, Jan 3, 2013
Quote:
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A California appeals court overturned the rape conviction of a man who authorities say pretended to be a sleeping woman's boyfriend before initiating intercourse, ruling that an arcane law from 1872 doesn't protect unmarried women in such cases.

A panel of judges reversed the trial court's conviction of Julio Morales and remanded it for retrial, in a decision posted Wednesday from the Los Angeles-based court.

Morales had been sentenced to three years in state prison. He was accused of entering a woman's bedroom late one night after her boyfriend had gone home and initiating sexual intercourse while she was asleep, after a night of drinking.

The victim said her boyfriend was in the room when she fell asleep, and they'd decided against having sex that night because he didn't have a condom and he had to be somewhere early the next day.

Morales pretended to be her boyfriend in the darkened room, and it wasn't until a ray of light from outside the room flashed across his face that she realized he wasn't her boyfriend, according to prosecutors.

"Has the man committed rape? Because of historical anomalies in the law and the statutory definition of rape, the answer is no, even though, if the woman had been married and the man had impersonated her husband, the answer would be yes," Judge Thomas L. Willhite Jr. wrote in the court's decision.

The appeals court added that prosecutors argued two theories, and it was unclear if the jury convicted Morales because the defendant tricked the victim or because sex with a sleeping person is defined as rape by law.
The court said the case should be retried to ensure the jury's conviction is supported by the latter argument.

The decision also urges the Legislature to examine the law, which was first written in response to cases in England that concluded fraudulent impersonation to have sex wasn't rape because the victim would consent, even if they were being tricked into thinking the perpetrator was their husband.

Willhite noted that the law has been applied inconsistently over the years in California.

In 2010, a similar law in Idaho prevented an unmarried woman from pressing rape charges after being tricked into sex with a stranger by her then-boyfriend.

The judge called what happened "despicable" but said the state's law left the court with no choice. Idaho's law was amended to cover all women in 2011.
Morales' attorney Edward Schulman declined comment when reached by phone Thursday.

Prior to the conviction, Schulman had argued Morales believed the sex was consensual because the victim responded to his kisses and caresses, according to the decision.

Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
This isn't as horrific as it first seems, but still some fucked up shit. I mean, 140 year old rape laws are just as good as any other, amirite?
Judge: Law won't protect unmarried victims in rape
Associated Press – Thu, Jan 3, 2013
Quote:
The appeals court added that prosecutors argued two theories, and it was unclear if the jury convicted Morales because the defendant tricked the victim or because sex with a sleeping person is defined as rape by law.
The court said the case should be retried to ensure the jury's conviction is supported by the latter argument.

This is the part that's fucked up. They argued two theories, one of which is clearly illegal regardless, and the jury found him guilty. That's what I call throwing out the baby with the bath water.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo this links to a 1920's guide to bad parenting: http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/1920s-guide-bad-parenting-slideshow/baby-unhappy-cross-photo-2563458-204300979.html

Which was mildly amusing, and surprisingly not as bad as I thought it was going to be (YAY for advocating breastfeeding)

But then I re-read it, reading the author's comments on the right . . . so bathing your baby is optional and a joke . . . um I understand not bathing newborns daily because of skin irritation issues and what not, but that is not at all how this author seems to come across. It seems like she's trying to say "Oh, well I'm so busy, if I have the time and chance I'll get to that" which just seems like a really odd tone to be taking.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, it is ~100 years old.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the comments are by the person posting the pictures, i think, not the author of the pamphlet. i am guessing she is a typical overwhelmed mother.

what i particularly liked was the first one: baby will be unhappy and cross if taken to the movies. that's one that should definitely stay in the roster.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
the comments are by the person posting the pictures, i think, not the author of the pamphlet. i am guessing she is a typical overwhelmed mother.

what i particularly liked was the first one: baby will be unhappy and cross if taken to the movies. that's one that should definitely stay in the roster.

Yeah, I meant the yahoo author, not the pamphlet author, sorry for the confusion.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
she died

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-20860569

she got gangraped and beaten so hard on a bus she died

Rape apologism -- Guru style:
Quote:
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Comments by an Indian spiritual leader that a gang-rape victim shared blame for her assault disgusted many in a country shaken by the crime, but his view represents a deep streak of chauvinism shared by a broad swathe of a society in transition.

The 23-year-old physiotherapy student and a male companion were left bleeding on a highway after she was raped and beaten on a moving bus in New Delhi on December 16. She died two weeks later in a Singapore hospital from internal injuries.

"Guilt is not one-sided," the guru, Asaram Bapu, told followers this week, adding that if the student had pleaded with her six attackers in God's name, and told them she was of the "weaker sex", they would have relented.

Such views have caused outrage among India's growing urban middle class. Protesters burned effigies of the yoga guru near his headquarters in western India, media reported, and Twitter exploded with posts calling him "medieval" and a "misogynist".

But he is not alone.

Similar opinions are being expressed by leaders in the mainstream of society, not just on the fringes.

Some politicians have called on schoolgirls not to wear skirts and told women to dress soberly and not venture out at night.

Yeah, that's only an excerpt, but it goes downhill from there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 268, 269, 270  Next
Page 157 of 270

Jump to: