welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It had to come to this (do Martian Kyo a favor thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: It had to come to this Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:

I like it. The categories thing is interesting and quite intuitive. I dunno about the feed being to the right, it feels slightly weird.

So there's something a bit off in the article placing, dogen noted that it could be given more space.

Do you mean to say that if the interface was to the right would be more natural to you?

Glad to hear you found it intuitive, one of the main goals when making this was to make the search more fun, and reduce the need for typing in things.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, just out of interest, what's your part in this and which bits are your friend?
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mostly my friend's brainchild.
He did the design, and the original idea.
Technically I mainly contributed with coding, mostly server-side stuff and some javascript.

Working at a bank for almost 5 years killed any aesthetic sense in me, so I stayed away from design.
Snorri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: It had to come to this Reply with quote

Martian Kyo wrote:
Snorri wrote:

I like it. The categories thing is interesting and quite intuitive. I dunno about the feed being to the right, it feels slightly weird.

So there's something a bit off in the article placing, dogen noted that it could be given more space.

Do you mean to say that if the interface was to the right would be more natural to you?

Well more that it should be more in the centre as it now feels like it's too much to the side. But that might be helped by making the feed bigger so that the empty space is reduced.

Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martian Kyo wrote:
This was discussed often, and there's very selfish reason for not adding this, neither me nor my friend don't have interest in male beauties and neither of us wanted to fill content for that category so we left it out.

You aggregate all of this stuff by hand? That sounds like a lot of work.

Quote:
Thanks a bunch Dogen, you've put a lot of though into these.

I can only tell you what I like, but as a non-designer with no education or experience on the production side of web design that may amount to just making your page look like everyone else's (recognition breeds comfort, after all). So take my advice with a grain of salt.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take even my opinions with a grain of salt...and usually a slice of lemon.

Again thanks for the feedback, it really was useful.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the new version of the site is out.

I don't mean to spam, the main reason I am posting, is because some of your suggestions have been considered and actually implemented. Namely clickable articles.

And I know I like to see when my opinion counts, so you might as well.Smile

We added a simpler voting mechanic (the little star). The votes count, and display but you can't search or order by top voted or display things you voted for...yet.

Thrown out some of categories and so on.
Added a little help link
Give it another look if you want, more thoughts and opinions are always welcome.

Sorry if this is spammy.Very Happy
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much nicer now that there's some content in it! I like it Smile

Small point: The preview text is now in a <div> with some javascript to make it clickable (like you mentioned), but since it's not marked as a link you can't do things like Ctrl-click it, or any of the options for links. So uhm.. use the right html elements for things

(If you have the web developer toolbar for firefox installed (not the new built-in one, the old one that comes as an extension) you can use "Disable Styles" from the css menu to check what your page looks like without styling. The result should be something ugly but usable, if you got the html semantics right)
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble we encountered with using proper html instead of jquery is that using proper html techniques quite often gave vastly different results in different browsers.

The corner animation was initially done with css, but some browsers just didn't handle it, while others gave different results so we had to go back to jquery for those to get the same results.

That being said...the clickable div thing, yeah I will look into a nicer way to do that.

I am all for using html and css, but browser reality usually forces you down the javascript road.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, but jquery doesn't care if you say $('div.text') or $('a.text')! Ideally, you start with semantically sensible html (which helps for any application that tries to machine read your page, such as browsers for disabled people or google) and then add the javascript and css on top of that

I'm not madly in love with css and would never even have considered doing animations with it, but I like the html tags to indicate the document structure. Another benefit is that when things break down (as they always will, for example on mobile phones or resized pages) the browser will at least display it in a broken-but-readable way. Tags like <div> don't say anything about the role of that tag in the document, so browsers that don't accept your css (for whatever reason) have no way of knowing how to represent it. This is why html5 contains tags like <article> and <section>
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(that's a lot of text for a div... I really like your site!)
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the technical feedback....
It did get me thinking why didn't I just wrap the whole div into <a> tag instead of catching the event of div tag.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we are finally taking the whole thing out of the garage (so to speak).
It's not perfect, but we could tinker with it endlessly.

For purpose of marketing and reaching out to our audience have a facebook page (yeah I know, it's a dying platform)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tsosm/189785581190821
So as my bestest internet friends, I invite you to like it, if it doesn't go against your principles and all that.

This is the last time I reviving thins thread to ask something off you. I am sure I'll earn millions on this so the next revival so the next revival of this thread will be me inviting you to a we-just-earned-a-million party or something. Very Happy

Thanks again.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine on Opera 12.16 on Win7.

Just a suggestion though: give the Tsosm logo (/resources/pics/home/logobeta.png) a couple sentences of alt text relevant to the website's content. Helps with SEO.

Of course, don't just stuff it with keywords or anything, lest Google decide to penalize you.

I'm digging the graphical method of finding and organizing content though.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea...the site lack a bit of quirkiness...it's too clean. Alt text is a good SEO tool as well as a nice way to add a personal touch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: