welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading . . . . Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 230, 231, 232 ... 244, 245, 246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
eureka00 wrote:
As much as I enjoyed plowing through Ender's Game I think I'm going to hold off reading any of the sequels or books of the same universe for a bit. I think The Chronicles of Amber are next. It's a big book I need to move off my nightstand (dear hubby, why didn't you buy me the kindle version?), and most sci-fi/fantasy enthusiasts worth their salt love it. I have a whole week off to get some reading done. ^_^

Yay yay yay! That goes both for the Amber books (my hands down favorite ever) and for not reading more Ender's Game. You have to treat the rest of the Ender's Game series as a completely different series of books. The backstory of Ender's Game really isn't even necessary to read them. If you skip them, it isn't such a big deal.

Yeah, my hubby said the same thing about the other Ender's Game books. He said that I might enjoy them, but that they are completely different and a couple he didn't really like. I guess it sounds like I could just avoid them altogether. I have a lot of other more interesting sounding things to read. I raided last night and more raiding tonight and I'm potty training my daughter this week, but I'll try to fit in some reading time when I can. Smile
Sojobo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:
Yeah, my hubby said the same thing about the other Ender's Game books. He said that I might enjoy them, but that they are completely different and a couple he didn't really like. I guess it sounds like I could just avoid them altogether.

The following books are indeed completely different, and after Speaker for the Dead, the quality does jump around a bit, but you would be doing yourself a tremendous disservice to stop before the second book.

Everyone remembers Ender's Game more fondly (what young adult Sci-Fi fan could fail to identify with a protagonist marginalized for his intelligence?), but Speaker is just as well written, and the themes of inter-species communication and ethics are explored much more thoroughly.

The Amber books are good, but Speaker for the Dead is much better.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remember ender's game more fondly because, shamelessly, its adolescent power fantasy done right.

I have generally recommended to people that they quit after Speaker, AND that for the love of god they do not research Orson Scott Card at all while reading the books.

(he's a complete shithole of a human being)
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'll keep Speaker of the Dead in mind. It's hard to ignore two such glowing reviews. And I've heard plenty about Orson Scott Card..ugh.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like Ender's Game at all. I didn't get much farther than half way through before I gave up on it.

That was a while ago. Now the only thing I really remember about it is that it was so masterfully descriptive of horrible violence it managed to make me feel a little sick.

(God damn, I swear every time I come in this thread I'm the Queen of Unpopular Opinions.)
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Ender's Game

still struggling to keep the author's bigotry from ruining it for me, though

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
still struggling to keep the author's bigotry from ruining it for me, though

Yeeaaah... It's better to read what you can of the Ender series and forget he wrote anything else ever. Anything.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good god, the more I learn about this guy the more I'm kind of pleased with myself that his book creeped me out so bad.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more orson scott card

Quote:
Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society.

Quote:
The dark secret of homosexual society -- the one that dares not speak its name -- is how many homosexuals first entered into that world through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse, and how many of them yearn to get out of the homosexual community and live normally.

Quote:
Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn. Biological imperatives trump laws. American government cannot fight against marriage and hope to endure. If the Constitution is defined in such a way as to destroy the privileged position of marriage, it is that insane Constitution, not marriage, that will die.

dude is all kinds of messed

some people have looked at his writing and started to wonder if he's a closet case. it does seem abnormally probable.
Canopus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katharine Harmon - You Are Here

It's about destroying homosexuals and their filthy presence upon God's beautiful earth.

But really it's about maps both real and abstract. Or something like that.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, disregarding my own advice and looking over a lot of Card's crazy editorials, it seems that he has a real fixation on conspiratorial happenings and they're-not-saying-it-but-they're-all-thinking-it explanations. The media is secretly colluding to promote Obama and destroy Fox News. Homosexuals are secretly ashamed of being gay and know it's the result of emotional trauma or some kind of choice. Scientists are secretly disquieted by Intelligent Design arguments, or secretly know that global warming is more dogma than science. It's like he has to explain everything not encompassed by conservative politics in terms of secrets, ulterior motives, and fronts at some level.
The people who disagree with him on the facts not only have to be wrong, they have to KNOW they're wrong.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah also check out his latest on global warming that just came out.

The IPCC is a buncha liars! evil mendacious fact twisters. And global warming actually will do us right and will be good. more crops! something something about trees and carbon,
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

school has resumed, so, among other things:

The Shattering of the Union by Eric Walther, about the 1850s in US history and the various crises that culminated in the Civil War. the current gun debate isn't exactly comparable, but i'm struck by how similar the rhetoric of today's NRA and its satellites is to the rhetoric of Southern slaveholders back in the day.

On Philosophy: Notes From a Crisis by John McCumber. the cool thing about reading a book written by a teacher whose class you are taking is that you can go to their office hours and be all "wtf does this mean"
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I mentioned in the Q&A thread, I just read The Professor and the Madman, and it was pretty awesome. I had no idea dictionaries had such an interesting history, with murder and asylums and whatnot.

Now I'm finally reading In Defense of Food, which I feel like I should have read ages ago.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back in time a bit and reread Iain Lawrence's The Wreckers.

It was Lawrence's first published work (1998), and I originally read it in elementary school; grade five I think. It was one of my first forays into more adventurous literature, and I loved it. It helped spark my interest in reading, which more or less helped me through most of school.

Looking back on it, I still love it. It might be simplistic, but the plot is still as horrifying to me now as it was back then, perhaps even more, now that I know it is based on Cornish legend. Maybe also because I've gone sailing now, and have actually almost managed to run aground at night (anchor slipped).

It makes me wonder what kid's literature is like now days. I grew up on Charlotte's Web, The Indian in the Cupboard, and Aesop's Fables. Definitely feel like I need to go back and reread those.

On a completely different note, I finished reading the much more adult Archangel, Fatherland, and Imperium by Robert Harris. All thoroughly enjoyable books based off of alternate timelines of historical events. Fatherland gets a little disturbing, insofar as how things could have played out if Germany had managed to build the atomic bomb and successfully hide the Holocaust. Archangel was good (albeit gritty), and made me want to watch the BBC mini series.

Overall, it's been a good last couple weeks of reading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 230, 231, 232 ... 244, 245, 246  Next
Page 231 of 246

Jump to: