welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 312, 313, 314  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
wow

here, i'll just quote one of the comments

Quote:
Would people be as mad if it were a man’s severed torso?

Maybe if it were a man’s torso clad in nothing but a banana hammock with a clearly visible cucumber-shaped bulge…

…and maybe if video games didn’t have a history of hyper-sexualizing or objectifying women…

…and maybe if men were relentlessly mocked and belittled for their gender in video game culture…

…and maybe if men faced a disproportionate amount of sexual violence…

…and maybe if this hadn’t occurred so soon after 2012, the year when people finally started confronting the sexism in gaming culture en masse…

…and maybe if the developers of Dead Island: Riptide hadn’t previously run into trouble for the “feminist whore” scandal…

…and maybe if the statuette had been presented with any context as it relates to the actual video game…

…and maybe if…well, you get the picture.

...and maybe this isn't as a big of a deal as everyone's making this out to be.

This is only a big deal because people are making it one.

Had there been no press, demand for this would be down 5000%.

Now, the shitty game makers get tons of free press.

Also, that context quote hurts my brain.

The game is called Dead Island: Riptide. Riptide, something people generally associate with beaches and bathing. It's a torso in a bathing suit. The game is about killing and zombie's and dismemberment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

show of hands, who here is surprised that Darq officially Does Not Get It?

come on, don't be shy
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most effective way to fight this is denial of revenue.

Making a story of it increases revenue.

Making a story of it is not an effective way to fight this sort of sexism.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
...and maybe this isn't as a big of a deal as everyone's making this out to be.

Also, that context quote hurts my brain.

The game is called Dead Island: Riptide. Riptide, something people generally associate with beaches and bathing. It's a torso in a bathing suit. The game is about killing and zombie's and dismemberment.

First, the fact that they got free press is irrelevant to whether it's "a big deal." It's "a big deal" because it juxtaposes notions of women as objects, sexuality, and violence in one display.

That it was done intentionally for publicity is kind of obvious. It didn't make itself, did not evolve, nor was it an act of God, thus it was obviously done intentionally. Since packaging's purpose, aside from holding all the bits together, is to get people to buy a thing, it's fairly obvious this packaging was intended to get the game sold one way or another. So all of that is in the "yeah, we know" column.

However, doing something intentionally doesn't make it not a big deal. If you beat your wife as a way of garnering media attention it's still a big deal... in fact it's arguably a bigger deal because you're now using violence against women as a means to some other end (you can't even say she pissed you off, you just figured violence toward women was a handy tool to get what you wanted). Just so for this box set.

Also, your syllogism is false. The best way of fighting this isn't denial of revenue. It's education and changing minds so people don't think this "isn't a big deal." Which means making a story about it is an effective way of fighting this type of sexism. How would we fight it unless we knew about it? How effectively could you fight anything without ever talking about those things? That doesn't make any sense.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to put it more bluntly,

Quote:

is not a way of making the problem go away. it is a way of making the people who are pointing out the problem go away.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if they had released a male and a female version i would have just been like 'idgaf, it's just zombie horror'

as is though i would have quietly told them to put the kibosh on this because it's a uh

bad

idea
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaagggggghhhhhh!

Bolivian politician rapes colleague on the floor of Parliament, gets caught on video, it gets covered up, someone posts the video on YouTube, attorney general goes after sites hosting the video.

AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHH!
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i couldn't bring myself to actually watch that
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Partly why the CIA likes em so much Reply with quote

Bolivia: joke country with joke laws.
Him

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Partly why the CIA likes em so much Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:

Some sensible and insightful commentary on this serious crime at last.

Darqcyde wrote:
The most effective way to fight this is denial of revenue.

Making a story of it increases revenue.

Making a story of it is not an effective way to fight this sort of sexism.

Absolutely, the most effective way is to not bring up any issues with sexism in any media form, or indeed any commodity that is bought and sold, so as to by not bringing it up reducing the revenue they would've otherwise gained. If only more people were as insightful as you no doubt these things would go away by themselves since, without the attention brought to them by pointing out and analysing sexism, will practically make the respective companies go under in bankruptcy.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: knowhow lubricates joke joviality Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

Some sensible and insightful commentary on this serious crime at last.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Bolivia

http://www.smh.com.au/world/reclusive-sects--rape-gang-used-cattle-sedative-in-reign-of-terror-20110830-1jjcs.html

Bolivia Country Specific Information wrote:

THREATS TO SAFETY AND SECURITY: Protests, strikes, and other civic actions are common and disrupt transportation on a local and national level. While protest actions generally begin peacefully, they have the potential to become violent. The police have used tear gas to break up protests. In addition to rallies and street demonstrations, protesters sometimes block roads and have reacted with force when travelers attempt to pass through or go around roadblocks. You should avoid roadblocks and demonstrations. Demonstrations protesting government or private company policies occur frequently, even in otherwise peaceful times. If you plan to travel to or from Bolivia, you should take into consideration the possibility of disruptions to air service in and out of La Paz and other airports due to protests. You should monitor Bolivian media reports and the U.S. Embassy website for updates. The embassy strongly recommends that U.S. citizens avoid areas where roadblocks or public demonstrations are occurring or planned. Political rallies should similarly be avoided in light of press reports of violence at some rallies in various parts of Bolivia.

Visitors should be careful when choosing a tour operator and should not accept any type of medication or drugs from unreliable sources.

Express kidnappings are common in La Paz. The areas where these crimes are most known to occur include Plaza Humbolt (Zona Sur), Plaza Abaroa, Plaza del Estudiante, Plaza Isabel La Católica, Plaza San Francisco and through several places in the downtown section of the city. These incidents typically occur when the victim boards a taxi in which the driver is an accomplice. Once the victim is inside, an additional person or two (the kidnappers) board the vehicle. At this point, the victim is robbed of his/her belongings and/or driven to an ATM where he/she is forced to provide PINs for debit and credit card withdrawals. Recommended tips to avoid becoming a victim include using only radio taxis which one calls in advance and not traveling alone, particularly if under the influence of alcohol or out late at night.

We recommend that you avoid the Coronilla Hill, a Cochabamba landmark adjacent to the main bus terminal and near several markets, hostels, and restaurants. The Coronilla Hill has become an increasingly dangerous place for tourists and local citizens alike. The local police, tourist authorities, and press have declared the area off limits and cautioned people to enter the area at their own peril. U.S. citizens have been assaulted in the area. The police have made several sweeps of the area in an attempt to control the population of street people, most of whom are reportedly drug addicts and alcohol abusers. Nonetheless, incidents of crime continue. Police reports indicate that thieves in that area have gone from purse snatching and burglary to increasingly violent assaults on passerbys.

There have been reports of “false police” -- persons using police uniforms, identification, and even buildings modified to resemble police stations -- intercepting and robbing foreign tourists, including U.S. citizens. Under Bolivian law, police need a warrant from the “fiscal” (prosecutor) to detain a suspect. Any searches or seizures must occur at a bona fide police station in the presence of the prosecutor. The warrant requirement also applies to suspected drug trafficking cases, although such searches and seizures may occur without a prosecutor present. If detained, you should request to see the warrant and demand immediate contact with the nearest U.S. consular office (in La Paz, Cochabamba or Santa Cruz).

To steal wallets and bags, thieves may spray water on the victim's neck, and while the person is distracted, an accomplice takes the wallet or bag. At times, the thief poses as a policeman and requests that the person accompany him to the police station, using a nearby taxi. If this happens to you, you should indicate a desire to contact the U.S. Embassy and not enter the taxi. Under no circumstances should you surrender ATM or credit cards, or release a personal identification number. While most thefts do not involve violence, in some instances the victim has been physically harmed and forcibly searched for hidden valuables. This is particularly true in “choke and rob” assaults where the victims, including U.S. citizens, reported being choked from behind until they lost consciousness and later awoke to find all of their possessions gone. These assaults have happened during both day and night. You should avoid being alone on the streets, especially at night and in isolated areas.

VICTIMS OF CRIME: If you or someone you know becomes the victim of a crime abroad, you should contact the local police and the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate (see the Department of State’s list of embassies and consulates). If your passport is stolen, we can help you replace it. For violent crimes such as assault and rape, we can, for example, help you find appropriate medical care, contact family members or friends and help you get money from them if you need it.

Him

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, crime and poverty. What a laughfest.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one of those things where i'm not sure if this is a step forward or backwards. the u.s. military is lifting the ban on women in combat positions.

now, in one way, i am very happy about this. woman are already being exposed to combat situations, this way they can get combat pay, and get the promotions that seem to need combat experience. and they get the recognition that they, too, are willing and able to put their lives on the line.

on the other hand, i used to really want women allowed in combat situations because the notion of women being exposed to combat conditions and injuries seemed to send the powers-that-be into a tizzy, and i was hopeful that, in their desire to protect women from the horrific costs of combat, they might end up protecting men, too, by maybe taking a harder look at when combat is really necessary.

unfortunately, what really seems to be driving it is that the powers-that-be are getting used to women getting wounded and killed, and are just acknowledging the situation. so now there is actually less reason to seriously consider the costs of combat.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Yes, crime and poverty. What a laughfest.

You betcha!
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back in the kitchen and make me dinn. . . err I mean use these to stop those rapists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 159 of 314

Jump to: