Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 697, 698, 699 ... 750, 751, 752  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hotelfiveseattle.com/

We're staying at this hotel. I like quirky hotels. Sounds like there will be plenty to keep us and Patty busy and Dogen whenever he's available too. Smile
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Dogen wrote:
adult bakery in Wallingford

Is that like some sort of bizarre combination of an adult store and a bakery? o_O

Breast cupcakes, penis cakes, vagina cakes... exactly what it sounds like. Wink

You learn something new every day. Today I learned that there is a market for genital-shaped baked goods.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the internet. You'll find that there's a market for baked-goods-shaped genitals.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serious employment question:

So I worked for the bank for two years, was actually very good at what I did - says I, you have no way of verifying that - and still ended up fired over some bullshit. So then a guy gives me a hand, gives me a job, I do very well at it for over 12 months, and I ended up, well, not fired ... just left fucked, turned over and unemployed. I then do something which is a) right and b) is absoloutely not going to dispose him to write me a reference. (In the UK - I guess it's the same elsewhere - an employer can't write a poor reference for a former employee, but they can decline to offer any reference - the implication is plain enough).

So what are my serious options re: references? I've got interviews coming up. What I've done / considered so far:

1. I've generously altered my timeline so that the two years at the bank never existed (it's not relevant to the jobs I'm going for anyway)
2. I've suggested that the guy I worked for most recently has gone bust and his company no longer exists (which pretty much true, lol, and can be backed up by one employment agency I'm interviewing with later this week as they lost contracts to him, and have since regained them from him).
3. My sister suggested telling people my most recent employer is now deceased. I laughed, she said 'no, really'. My sister is the sharp, business minded one in my family.
4. I could tell people I've been self-employed for the last three years, be vague about the period 12 - 36 months ago, I can bluff the last 12 months as self-employed as I was effectively a sub-contractor (this wouldn't work with my ideal position, which I'm interviewing for on Friday as they were the original contractors).

Any suggestions? Don't forget, I once got off work for a day at the bank by saying I'd been laid down with concussion from being hit on the head with a cricket ball during a cricket match. I even got a lady friend to drop me in the walk-in clinic so they could give me the all clear (it was 30 mins in waiting, the rest of the day eating KFC and playing LEGO Batman with her). So I can sell most anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITT/ suggests was unfairly dismissed from old job, tells story about throwing a sickie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even going to attempt to give advice, but would they check to see that your former employer is really dead? If not, you could always just say that. The "-to me" part can just be implied. Wink
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrophy Annie wrote:
I'm not even going to attempt to give advice, but would they check to see that your former employer is really dead? If not, you could always just say that. The "-to me" part can just be implied. Wink

The idea of the company being liquidated and no longer contactable might be easier. I mean, no-one's going to check, necessarily, but still, suggesting that the guy is dead seems a little low.

Even for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! I just wanted to make the joke, anyway. I wouldn't really recommend doing it. Your way sounds much better.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Kay 'kay I understood it was a joke. But ... perhaps ... if an employer asks what I've been doing for the past three years ... I could ... maybe ... just say ...

PATTY

And then they'd be all like, wow.

I can't fake that shit though sisbro.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'd hire you on the spot. I'll back up your claims.
Snorri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
So then a guy gives me a hand, gives me a job,.

Nice of him.

trustedfaith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how it is over there but over here more than just employers can give references. Anyone that isn't a family member can be a reference here.

On our resumes/CVs we usually say "references available upon request." I use non-employer ones for the most part.

Also if you're worried about putting it on your CV, I have put places I was fired from on mine but told them truth. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Depends what you're comfortable with.

I'm also doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Halen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get tits McGee to write you one.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halen wrote:

And her Mom too.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eureka00 wrote:
Halen wrote:

And her Mom too.

Haha. ZING!

I'm also doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 697, 698, 699 ... 750, 751, 752  Next
Page 698 of 752

Jump to: