Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ethical Dilemmas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you play the game?
Yes
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
No
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 6

Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It had me at "shadows on the wall of your cave." I was like, "but does the cave exist if I'm not there to see it!?"
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously a Cartesian demon is just deceiving you into thinking that

or is it?

YOU CANNOT KNOW
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Cartesian demon told me to pay my tuition in bitcoins
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pshaw. There is no evil demon, Descartes says so, because God is good and that's so obvious you can't even question whether it's true or not! And because he's so sunlight-ass-beamingly good, he wouldn't allow an evil demon to deceive us... even me, an agnostic... and even though he lets horrible shit happen all the time as part of his plan... but evil demons are totally over the line, so there.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's just what the demon wants you to think! it's all part of its complex plan to take away your guns and ship them to its real homeland of Kenya, where the terrorists lie, and then herd everyone into FEMA death camps

fortunately for all of you i uncovered this dastardly scheme by sitting by the fire in my pajamas and thinking really hard
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really think we need to do a sensitivity analysis. note that the number 5 keeps recurring. we need to test the same questions with a varying number of individuals to be killed. this would allow us to truly illuminate the number of lives worth one life, depending on whether or not you are the actor involved. as it stands, the responses we receive may just be a reaction to the number '5'. is 5 a lucky or an unlucky number? if you believe it is a lucky number, do you believe that you should not kill the five (because that would make 5 unlucky) or send the train hurtling down on them, because the inherent good fortune in the number 5 will cause the angels (or possible the angles - is the string of letters that comes out a typo, or does it reveal my unconscious mind?) to swoop down and save them?

in short, i believe you provide inadequate documentation for your choice of experimental design.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Dogen wrote:
This is why they invented the preview button.

Also, I can tell you statistically which answer people are more likely to choose for all of Mikewee's questions (because they're all variations on the Trolley problem, and it's been studied).

Personally, I like this one:

Ooh I like it.

I thank you for contributing. I'm not sure if I am supposed to express love or hate for you because of all of the negative peer pressure going on here. Maybe if I put on eye-liner, wear dark clothing and pretend to be depressingly apathetic it will please those here who are upset with me.
On second thought, that's a waste of time and money.
Philosophy is so silly.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't stand for these ethic slurs!
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikewee777 wrote:
Philosophy is so silly.

It's true. I hear Descartes was into prop comedy, known for visiting his favorite cafe wearing a giant pair of sunglasses and big, floppy clown shoes. And obviously Hume was gifted with a whoopee cushion.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and Berkeley thought that there was actually no much thing as matter, everything is actually ideas, which only exist as long as they are perceived, and the reason everything that exists persists in doing so when we don't perceive it is that God is constantly perceiving it

he was a hoot
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wipes a tear of laughter from his eye* Now tell the one about how he rejected Locke's position on primary and secondary qualities by describing size and motion as the products of associative learning rather than inherent qualities of objects! I love that one!
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, esse et percepi is the entire reason Kim Kardashian exists. To be, is to be photographed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's right, the stupid drunk one just burned Kim Kardashian with a reference to Bishop Berkley AND Jorge Louis Borges. We be getting our read on up in here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess taking three posts to go a) pretentious reference b) explain pretentious reference and c) acknowledge pretentiousness in a way that hopefully makes light of said 'not as clever as he thought he was but he kinda knew that' post is stupid behaviour. Ridiculation would not be too strong a word for it. But then posting three times in any Mikawee thread is fucking moronic anyway, so blow me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*whoosh whoosh*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: