Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 663, 664, 665 ... 784, 785, 786  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, both sides have been complaining about that lack of data. That's an absolute good.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's kinda what I tought about the proposed independent research into video games. excellent political move, but kind of a shame about the money
Him

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting: Dennis Kucinich Joining Fox News
The friend who shared it's take on it: "It's shocking at first, until it sinks in to me that it's actually pretty apt in how it fits with his role he's already played (full bias disclosure: working on his campaign was the experience that broke me away from the Dems forever). Token progressive giving left cover to the totally morally bankrupt Democratic Party becomes token progressive giving left cover to the totally morally bankrupt Fox News."
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kucinich is an idiot, but if he wants to be a punching bag and a tool in fox's arsenal for making democrats look ridiculous, that's his prerogative
kame

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
kucinich is an idiot, but if he wants to be paid a large sum of money to be a punching bag and a tool in fox's arsenal for making democrats look ridiculous, that's his prerogative

FTFY
Canopus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's one of those guys just born to be 60.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/teen-planned-attack-walmart-killing-family-154951568--abc-news-topstories.html

This is singlehandedly the most fucked up thing I have ever read. Hands fucking down.

A 15 year old snuck into his parents room while his other was sleeping, got guns out of an unlocked closet, and shot his mother dead while she slept. He then showed the head to his 9 year old brother, who started crying. He then shot his brother in the head. After hearing his sisters, ages 2 and 5, crying, he shot them in the head as well.

His father, a former pastor, came home at 5 am, not knowing what had happened. The kid then shot him with an AR. He texted pictures of his dead mother to his 12 year old girlfriend, and contemplated going on a shooting spree at the local Walmart, as well as killing his girlfriend's parents. He then spent the day with his girlfriend, before going to the local church and saying his parents had been killed in a car accident. Someone at the church called 911.

He then lied to investigators, saying he had come home at 5 am and found his family dead, and had taken the guns as protection. After being pressed, he admitted to killing his family. He's being charged with murder and child abuse, and is being tried as an adult.

And apparently he talked to police a bunch about violent video games he loved to play - Modern Warfare and GTA.

Well, I guess we know where the blame is heading with this one, if the media has any say about it. But seriously, this is just so fucked up. I can't get over the fact that after killing his whole family, he spent the day with his girlfriend and then went to church and told them his family died in a car accident. I mean, he's fucking 15. And his girlfriend is 12. TWELVE. That'd mean she's still in grade school, for fucks sake.

The world is an appalling place.

And this is all going to be blamed on violent video games.

Last edited by fritterdonut on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doublepost.
Canopus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's regrettable, but these things happen all the time. One thing I never understood is why they try to take down as many people with them. It's not like anyone's going to pat them on the back for a kill/death ratio. Confused
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High scores.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canopus wrote:
It's regrettable, but these things happen all the time.

maybe there should be a way to prevent it
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canopus wrote:
It's regrettable, but these things happen all the time. One thing I never understood is why they try to take down as many people with them. It's not like anyone's going to pat them on the back for a kill/death ratio. Confused

The Columbine shooters wrote about revenge and social darwinism.

Breivik is a neo-nazi who hates the Left.

The UNABOMBER was a luddite whose manifesto was based on anti-industrialism.

Lepine had a hatred for women and feminism.

I'd say the common link is mental illness. These people don't think rationally.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/teen-planned-attack-walmart-killing-family-154951568--abc-news-topstories.html

This is singlehandedly the most fucked up thing I have ever read. Hands fucking down.

A 15 year old snuck into his parents room while his other was sleeping, got guns out of an unlocked closet, and shot his mother dead while she slept. He then showed the head to his 9 year old brother, who started crying. He then shot his brother in the head. After hearing his sisters, ages 2 and 5, crying, he shot them in the head as well.

His father, a former pastor, came home at 5 am, not knowing what had happened. The kid then shot him with an AR. He texted pictures of his dead mother to his 12 year old girlfriend, and contemplated going on a shooting spree at the local Walmart, as well as killing his girlfriend's parents. He then spent the day with his girlfriend, before going to the local church and saying his parents had been killed in a car accident. Someone at the church called 911.

He then lied to investigators, saying he had come home at 5 am and found his family dead, and had taken the guns as protection. After being pressed, he admitted to killing his family. He's being charged with murder and child abuse, and is being tried as an adult.

And apparently he talked to police a bunch about violent video games he loved to play - Modern Warfare and GTA.

Well, I guess we know where the blame is heading with this one, if the media has any say about it. But seriously, this is just so fucked up. I can't get over the fact that after killing his whole family, he spent the day with his girlfriend and then went to church and told them his family died in a car accident. I mean, he's fucking 15. And his girlfriend is 12. TWELVE. That'd mean she's still in grade school, for fucks sake.

The world is an appalling place.

And this is all going to be blamed on violent video games.

Is there a feeling past jaded? Complete apathy maybe? I'm also sick, so maybe that's part of it.

Anyhow this story, to me, and sadly too many others is now "one of those stories", which is itself probably more atrocious than anything else.

Nothing is going to change anytime soon until one thing is realized: this is not shocking at this point. This isn't strange. This is bizarre, aberrant behavior like it once was.

This is the end result of the sum total of our societal cesspool.

Like what's his nuts in Newtown (I've committed myself to forgetting all "these peoples" names), this was simply an eventuality BECAUSE of how the US currently is.

I guess I'm not really apathetic, I hate everyone on all for this. Look at the games he was playing: Modern Warfare and GTA. Neither of those is rated for a 15 year old to play. But I'm sure most people think it's normal for a 15 year to be playing them.

IT's not.

It's TYPICAL, but it shouldn't be considered normal. It's a ubiquitous failing of enforcement of societal standards.

This should bring about the question: "What's the point of the ratings system then?" because that's why it's there. It's to prevent subject matter deemed inappropriate for certain groups be made unavailable to these groups.

The rating on a games is verification that we, as a society, through our agents, have said "WE deem this game not suitable for age group X".

But no, this apparently failed. I'm willing to bet most people made assumptions, before they were even done with the article, that he was playing games he shouldn't have been.

AND THAT'S THE MOTHER FUCKING TIP OF THE ICEBERG, A SINGLE STRAW ON A CAMEL'S HUMP!

This kid wasn't the result of a single failing, a single incident. Him, his parents, everyone they all interacted with, all have some blood on their hands. Like has been said, it's going to keep happening again and again.

Bah, whatever: Mother jones with some numbers:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map?page=2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
Canopus wrote:
It's regrettable, but these things happen all the time.

maybe there should be a way to prevent it

Ban free will.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because free will is totally a thing we have control over, as opposed to the existence, number, and access to firearms, which we have no control over at all.

God you're fucking stupid, how have you not drowned while looking up at the sky wondering where the water was coming from yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 663, 664, 665 ... 784, 785, 786  Next
Page 664 of 786

Jump to: