welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading . . . . Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 231, 232, 233 ... 244, 245, 246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the arrival of my Kobo Glo, I'm finally getting a chance to burn through those electronic books I cleverly and wisely bought during the Humble E-Book Bundle, plus other assorted brick-a-brack reading materials I've accumulated over the years with my unerring foresight and perhaps also pack-rattish tendencies a bit maybe.
XKCD: Volume 0 was easy to go through in a night, being pretty much just one-to-three of the comics per page with some additional notes and errata. The black-and-white stick figure art suited my e-ink reader well, but being in a PDF format made my 6" screen less than convenient. I would have loved an Epub version so that I didn't have to zoom in and drag the page around to see everything.
Just finished John Scalzi's Old Man's War, a sci-fi story about a future where Earth's elderly retirees are recruited into the off-world Colonial Defense Force to keep humankind from being subjugated under the constant onslaught of thousands of alien races. A little contrived in places, but I had a hard time putting it down.
Now I'm a good ways into Bob Altemeyer's The Authoritarians, which (according to itself at least) is an insightful and career-spanning look into one prevalent personality type that has an outsized impact on society.
Snorri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up Bad Pharma by Ben Goldacre. It's more densely filled with data and a bit drier than his previous book, but it's still engaging.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a whole boatload of Kierkegaard

i love him, i really do, but god damn if he doesn't sound like a whiny teenager sometimes
Canopus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh man, I'd think you'd know enough about his life to know he earned a little self indulgence. You also know enough about yourself to know the irony of you saying that.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find it a little difficult to say he earned his self-indulgence when the things that happened to him were his own deliberate doing
Canopus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you put yourself through the same lens?
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is ShadowCell equally self-indulgent?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well

i

sometimes

sometimes...i get seconds on ice cream

*sob* i have failed
Death Ray

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished "The Conscience of a Conservative", the manifesto that launched the conservative movement. Behold the cover design that cost Goldwater the election!

Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished A memory of Light...mostly out of pure stubbornness since around book...oh 7 or 8ish reading the series was more about "goddamn I've read this far i'm going to see it through to the finish."

Probably should have expected a disappointing ending.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're more stubborn than I am... I read the first 10 god damn books, and was really slogging through the last two or three out of will. I didn't have it in me to read 4 more. I read Crossroads of Twilight the week it came out, and by the time Knife of Dreams was released two years later I just didn't care.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and some other guy. Meh. It would make a much better movie. SOOOOOO much of it was cool and SOOOOOOOO much of it just tossed me bodily out of my suspension of disbelief. Worth skipping.
kame

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
You're more stubborn than I am... I read the first 10 god damn books, and was really slogging through the last two or three out of will. I didn't have it in me to read 4 more. I read Crossroads of Twilight the week it came out, and by the time Knife of Dreams was released two years later I just didn't care.

You couldn't possibly be more stubborn than a Two Rivers woman whose braid stiffens like a cat's tail.

God Robert Jordan lost his way after book 5. His wife failed spectacularly in reigning the needless repetition and overkill descriptor that crept into the series and eventually choked it to death.
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kame wrote:
Dogen wrote:

You couldn't possibly be more stubborn than a Two Rivers woman whose braid stiffens like a cat's tail.

God Robert Jordan lost his way after book 5. His wife failed spectacularly in reigning the needless repetition and overkill descriptor that crept into the series and eventually choked it to death.

There are days when I get curious about the weel of time, but then I read comments like those and I'm glad I didn't even start it.

I just finished "The amazing maurice and his educated rodents" by Terry Pratchett.

It is not part of one of the "main" cycle of stories but I think that the story it tells could only be told in the Discworld.

The humor and the funny moments are there, and the plot flows quite well. It even manages to give a little thought to the meaning of self-awareness.

It left me quite satisfied.
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently reading Cool Capitalism, by Jim McGuigan. Deals with how capitalism survives by the absorption, manipulation and marketing of dissent. Besides dealing with the obvious, like the popularity of Che Guevara merchandise, and the popularization of formerly counter-cultural groups into mainstream music and media, it also looks at artists throughout the 19th and 20th century, such as Picasso's involvement in the communist movement while simultaneously being one of the most valuable living artists in the world.

Overall quite a fascinating book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 231, 232, 233 ... 244, 245, 246  Next
Page 232 of 246

Jump to: