welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1627, 1628, 1629 ... 1716, 1717, 1718  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a guitar after 9 months of not owning one... its good to play again (and my fingers hurt!)
Canopus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky. I was never able to get very far with guitar because my fingers are so pudgy.
jwing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class started again tonight. I have 10 students in my beginning class and soon 3 in my intermediate. I only had one in the later class because of sickness with the other two, so we had a private lesson. It was a lot of fun; I made her howl with laughter several times.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy doing nice things for people, especially when they're so appreciative. I feel like I don't get to do that often enough.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I helped a stranger today. Nothing major, but something more than holding a door open, or picking up a key they dropped.
I won't go into details, cause if I do it's going to be an egoistic post.

I would usually help if people ask me to, but this time it was different, I actually took the initiative and offered help.

The only downside of this is me realizing how selfish I have been in life, still am, and probably will be.

Still feels a egoistic posting this, but this really made my day.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

State Inspector came to my classroom to do our QRS assessment today. NERVES STRESS AHHHHHHHHHHH!! Fortunately I was able to stuff my nerves, put on my Suzy Sunshine teacher face, and rock those assessors like a hurricane or like a blizzard in my case. Since there was in fact one outside and we closed early. Thank goodness my husband was lovely and left one of my favorite coffee drinks in my car for me this morning.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you got home okay Eure!

Martian Kyo wrote:
I helped a stranger today. Nothing major, but something more than holding a door open, or picking up a key they dropped.
I won't go into details, cause if I do it's going to be an egoistic post.

I would usually help if people ask me to, but this time it was different, I actually took the initiative and offered help.

The only downside of this is me realizing how selfish I have been in life, still am, and probably will be.

Still feels a egoistic posting this, but this really made my day.

C'mon, humblebrag brah!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started watching Never Mind the Buzzcocks. I'd heard about it because I've watched every episode of QI, and some of you had mentioned it. I started with series 19 when Simon took over and, thanks to being congested from a cold, almost died when he said, "There are some things I cannot read. Stephen Fry wouldn't read 'pussy-friendly finger!'"
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
I started watching Never Mind the Buzzcocks. I'd heard about it because I've watched every episode of QI, and some of you had mentioned it. I started with series 19 when Simon took over and, thanks to being congested from a cold, almost died when he said, "There are some things I cannot read. Stephen Fry wouldn't read 'pussy-friendly finger!'"

I don't know that it'll translate as well as QI, which is a funny, general interest show ... but NMTB is frequently hilarious. It was very funny when Mark Lamarr was host, but reached enormous levels of dick-engorging hilarity when Amstell took over. The episode that won't mean anything to you, but was especially brilliant, featured 'Preston' from the landfill indie band 'The Ordinary Boys'. He was especially famous for having married vacuous Paris Hilton impersonator (really) Chantelle Houghton. Amstell did nothing more than read extracts from Houghton's autobiography. Preston went apeshit. It was hilarious.

Also look for Amstell v Donny Tourette.

Amstell is the greatest wind-up merchant since Dennis Pennis, but for real.

Of course, if you're getting in to 'jokes first, questions later' British panel shows, you'll need to start watching Shooting Stars. Anywhere. It's brilliant. If you need background info on the show, ask Michael. I'm pretty sure it's going to be his Mastermind subject one day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
Of course, if you're getting in to 'jokes first, questions later' British panel shows, you'll need to start watching Shooting Stars. Anywhere. It's brilliant. If you need background info on the show, ask Michael. I'm pretty sure it's going to be his Mastermind subject one day.

I've seen most QI episodes three or four times by now, so I think I'd have to pick that one instead :)

As for shooting stars... I really love it but it's quite obviously, blatantly cheap, easy, and at times just bad. Love it though <3
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
I don't know that it'll translate as well as QI, which is a funny, general interest show ... but NMTB is frequently hilarious. It was very funny when Mark Lamarr was host, but reached enormous levels of dick-engorging hilarity when Amstell took over. The episode that won't mean anything to you, but was especially brilliant, featured 'Preston' from the landfill indie band 'The Ordinary Boys'. He was especially famous for having married vacuous Paris Hilton impersonator (really) Chantelle Houghton. Amstell did nothing more than read extracts from Houghton's autobiography. Preston went apeshit. It was hilarious.

It doesn't translate well in that I don't know a lot of the people they have on there. But Simon, Phil, and Bill could be talking in Simian and it would be hilarious, so it's all good. I've noticed that there's often one guest who is not enjoying being mocked as much as the others, and Simon hones in on them. I really liked the episode with Amy Winehouse. Simon alternately mocked the hell out of her and seemed genuinely concerned for her (and she, at one point, says, "in another life we'd have been married," which sounds like the most dysfunctional marriage ever).
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never get the music-guessing ones, though, even when I think I know the song. One time I was like, "That's Rock Lobster!" and it was "Gay Bar" by Electric Six.
jwing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My troupe likes the ridiculously involved routine I made up for them! And the little bit that we learned tonight is even better outside my head.
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my taxes last night before I went to bed and by the time I woke up this morning I had a text saying my federal taxes have already been approved.

Cool!
Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, samsally! that's kinda getting me excited to do my taxes this weekend so i get my refund, too. blah, taxes! but at least that's over.

pleasure: i think i'm gonna get a new tat this weekend. i'm trying not to be impulsive but i'm itching for some new skin and playing around with some old and new ideas to come up with something and meet up with an artist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1627, 1628, 1629 ... 1716, 1717, 1718  Next
Page 1628 of 1718

Jump to: