welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-1-30 Patriarchy Blockers Engaged
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, when people try to say that Nique lost her "fun personality" I just remember that she has frequently had suicidal thoughts, bursts of extreme self-loathing and tended to hold herself in a negative light on a frequent basis. Honestly, it didn't seem like it at first but I think she just might be happier now than she's ever been before. Someone who is happy on the surface isn't always happy to the core.

Since being awoken to the patriarchy, not once has she risked her well-being for the sake of being noticed. Not once has she said herself "I wish I were dead." Not once has she felt that she needed the attention of others to have any sort of self-worth - and not once has she referred to herself as a "stupid ho," or any other demeaning phrases she could think up for herself. But now she is definitely comfortable with who she is and genuinely enjoys it - she's proud of who she is and is genuinely happy with herself.

So uh, isn't it supposed to be a good thing? 0_0

(edit: I would have preferred it if this weren't a page topper but okay then)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maaan, I don't even know anymore.
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Man, when people try to say that Nique lost her "fun personality" I just remember that she has frequently had suicidal thoughts

With due respect, thinking to oneself "I wish I were dead" does not constitute a suicidal thought any more than "I wish I were rich" constitutes an actual effort to make money or "I wish I were over there" moves you so much as an inch in any direction.

A suicidal thought is when you start thinking about how to make yourself dead, and AFAIK 'Nique has never done that. You can be depressed without being suicidal.

AFAIK the only character who's ever harbored suicidal thoughts is Squig (when he attempts to hang himself because of a sports setback OSLT) and that gets played for "laughs."
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
A suicidal thought is when you start thinking about how to make yourself dead, and AFAIK 'Nique has never done that. You can be depressed without being suicidal.

By this rationale you also can't know that she hasn't had suicidal thoughts, which makes having an opinion on them rather pointless. You could say there's no evidence she ever made plans to harm herself, but at the end of the day you're still trying to prove something doesn't exist (her suicidal thoughts) which is for most intents and purposes is impossible (you can only say there's no evidence to support their existence).

I just applied the scientific method to the thoughts held by a comic strip character. I think I need to go to bed...
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
By this rationale you also can't know that she hasn't had suicidal thoughts, which makes having an opinion on them rather pointless. You could say there's no evidence she ever made plans to harm herself, but at the end of the day you're still trying to prove something doesn't exist (her suicidal thoughts)

Actually, I can easily prove that 'Nique's suicidal thoughts don't exist because none of 'Nique's thoughts exist. 'Nique herself does not exist. She has only the thoughts which Tat depicts her as having, and he has AFAIK never depicted her as having suicidal thoughts nor offered any evidence to suggest or imply that she has such thoughts.

One could just as easily say that we can't prove that 'Nique has never had homicidal thoughts about (random example) Seymour. What does that prove? That's no reason to presume that she's ever in fact had such thoughts. Any character could have any kind of thought, but we go by the ones we "see" them having. If we start presuming that the characters aren't "who" Tat tells us they are, well, where does that stop?

'Nique is who Tat tells us she is, and AFAIK he has never told us that she is or has ever been suicidal. It'd be a bit presumptuous to decide that we know more about a character than her creator does.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really like those italics and bold BBCodes, don't you?

Sure, you can say 'Nique has no thoughts other than those described explicitly, since she's essentially dark pixels on a white background. Indeed, she doesn't even have the feelings she's depicted as having, because she isn't real. She has no thoughts or feelings, makes no movements, says nothing, and takes no actions. She's not even a she, maybe not even an it. That slippery slope works in either direction.

She's either anthropomorphized into a living thing or she isn't. If she is, then MM can read into her actions just like she can the actions of any other living thing, but you can't say she doesn't have a particular thought (only that there's no evidence). If she's not viewed as a living thing, then you're right but it's moot because she doesn't even have the thoughts/feelings you think you can ascribe to her.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 2 pages? Come on you guys, I need a use for my popcorn.
Vancore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:
Maybe the glasses can somehow tell with that intent a line is written? They're clearly magical! The implication that they are designed to make men out as douchebags seems a bit silly to me.

It'd be nice if there were goggles/glasses that really could tell legit nice guys from "nice guys." (And that could do the same when it comes to females too of course.)

Clearly you haven't seen They Live. OBEY! CONSUME! SHAKE DAT ASS! all the same thing reading between the lines. Also you Would be able to tell who the nice guys were, they are the ones without their faces melted off.
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only point, such as it was, is that "I wish I were dead" thoughts don't equal suicidal thoughts. Trust me on that one.
Leohan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that matter, how do we know that she isn't currently having suicidal thoughts? It's all speculation at one point.

About 'Nique losing her fun personality... Dunno for sure. She lost lots of personality, though, without a doubt. Suffices to read her in any year from 2004 to 2009 to realize that she was a very multidimensional character. Nowadays she's still fun, more often than not, but she has become a bit more predictable and single minded.
Holocauxt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a strip where the sisterhood engages the Patriarchy Blockers on a guy and nothing changes.
Opinions are like ass holes: everybody has them. Sometimes they're clean... sometimes they stink... and sometimes they're just full of shit. But if you love shoving yours up on other people's faces, then you're a fucking whore.
Rothide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holocauxt wrote:
I would love to see a strip where the sisterhood engages the Patriarchy Blockers on a guy and nothing changes.

If they ever did Jesus, they probably would have it. Say what you want about the religion now, but he was shown to be progressive when it comes to women.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holocauxt wrote:

I would love to see a strip on the sisterhood where people didn't respond with "BUT THE MISANDRY!!!"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6519

A strip about the sisterhood that garnered no mention of men in either positive or negative fashion!

Ironically one of the few Sisterhood comics that does pass the Bechdel test.
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Peanut Gallery wrote:
http://www.sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6519

A strip about the sisterhood that garnered no mention of men in either positive or negative fashion!

Ironically one of the few Sisterhood comics that does pass the Bechdel test.

Well, except that there's no actual talking.

I'd forgotten there was a "littlest sister" (the one receiving the martial arts training). Maybe she'll become Minique's pal and further usher her into the Sisterhood's ways. Or maybe not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: