welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-1-30 Patriarchy Blockers Engaged
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LadySunami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
LadySunami wrote:
Maybe the glasses can somehow tell with that intent a line is written? They're clearly magical! The implication that they are designed to make men out as douchebags seems a bit silly to me.

It'd be nice if there were goggles/glasses that really could tell legit nice guys from "nice guys." (And that could do the same when it comes to females too of course.)

What makes you think they're not intended to show you the true feelings behind the expressions people make? There's nothing in this comic that suggests it makes all men look like douchebags, just that this guy is disguising his objectification of 'Nique as an appeal to being "fun."

That's what I was saying actually, in response to the offended posts before mine. I did word it a bit strangely though. Sorry about that.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I see what you mean. I misread you. Sorry about that. Very Happy
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
About 'Nique losing her fun personality... Dunno for sure. She lost lots of personality, though, without a doubt. Suffices to read her in any year from 2004 to 2009 to realize that she was a very multidimensional character. Nowadays she's still fun, more often than not, but she has become a bit more predictable and single minded.

no, no - you can't just _talk_ yourself into the strip, we have to see more concrete evidence that tat is thinking of _you_.

and not all the other guys posting her who really want 'nique to get off that feminist kick and get back to being 'fun'.

and i would suggest that while "i wish i were dead" is not necessarily suicidal, it certainly does suggest one has a positive self-image and is feeling good about oneself.
Psiwrite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other side to the issues regarding Nique's change make me wonder about how they relate to Fangirl. Why exactly is she a Nique supporter? She became enamoured of her during Monique's whole "It-girl" phase, which has been some time ago. At that time she was a simple one-dimensional gag support character pretty much identical to Lil'E. Since then even she has progressed. We've seen her being disgusted about commenters wanting "It-girl" back, and this strip is the continuation of that theme.

It's probably the usual adolescent-finding-popularity-appealing issue, but it'd be interesting to see what it is about Nique that makes her continue to support her even now.
redshirt26

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta admit, the shades make the squirt look badass.
Confuzledish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comic may have translated to me differently than what the author intended. The goggles are a metaphor for blinders, the girl only is reading what she WANTS to read out of the post not what is actually being written. Everything she perceives with her 'Patriarchy Blockers' is exactly what she wants to see.
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
no, no - you can't just _talk_ yourself into the strip, we have to see more concrete evidence that tat is thinking of _you_.

I'm not completely sure of what you mean here, but I will speculate that you think that I'm taking Tat's comic as a parody of my own self. I'm not, I'm just following the conversation of the post.

If you don't mean that please tell me, though!
Succubus1982

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happena my handle? wrote:
:Sigh:

Who should play 'Nique in a live-action version? I'm thinking we should try to find a young Christa Miller type.

I believe Tat already covered that in one of his Sinfest the Movie strips. If I recall he chose Mila Kunis to be her.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
mouse wrote:

I'm not completely sure of what you mean here, but I will speculate that you think that I'm taking Tat's comic as a parody of my own self. I'm not, I'm just following the conversation of the post.

no, i think you are providing an example of exactly the sort of poster minique is reacting to. albeit unintentionally.
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Leohan wrote:
mouse wrote:

no, i think you are providing an example of exactly the sort of poster minique is reacting to. albeit unintentionally.

Oh. I see how you could think that. Well, my purpose was honestly just to point out, as objectively as I can, my opinion about Monique's attitude change. I feel that she is a lot more single minded and in a way predictable. That doesn't need to be a bad thing, really, but in this case I believe that it is.

I don't even mind her being a feminist, really. I just wish Tat could return to exploring other sides of her personality.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure. like shaking her ass.

because, really? for all the complaining people have been doing about post-enlightened monique? she's still mostly doing the sorts of stuff she's always done. like angsting about her poetry, and making friends with minique.

you guys are just looking at her through you 'oh god, she's a feminist!' goggles. which make you see only her overtly feminist actions.
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

because, really? for all the complaining people have been doing about post-enlightened monique? she's still mostly doing the sorts of stuff she's always done. like angsting about her poetry, and making friends with minique.

you guys are just looking at her through you 'oh god, she's a feminist!' goggles. which make you see only her overtly feminist actions.

Nah, couldn't care less about her ass shaking. And again, not her feminism either. In fact I could say that her big personality change was not the feminism thing but the environmentalism thing. It was just not as obvious then. The important thing to have in mind is that 'Nique always has had man facets to her personality. Hell, a running gag was her trying on different costumes and acting accordingly. What happened to that? I'm sure that she still does have a lot of her old character quirks, but why not show them?

For instance, this right here is my favorite strip of this comic that I absolutely love. It's about 'Nique and Slick mocking each other, then sharing their problems and working them out together with some humor, finalizing with probably the sweetest final panel in Sinfest:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3099

Can you see a scene like that happening at this stage of Sinfest? I know, if you really try you can link me to something like this with Crim and Fuchsia, and there's another thing: What we used to call tertiary characters are the only ones that seem to be evolving, and at a snail's pace, now that we are at it. What the hell happened to Blue? She seemed to be going in an interesting direction! The buttocks bots got more character development in these months than Slick and 'Nique combined!

'Nique was always a tad obsessive, but it was really fun how quick she was to change obsessions. As long as her character continues to be so single-minded, I don't see any form of character evolution in the foreseeable future. And stagnant characters are not fun characters.

EDIT: Although, all things considered, 'Nique is not a boring character, exactly. It's just the unexplored potential that makes me sad.

Addendum: Tat, if you are reading this, please prove me wrong.

Last edited by Leohan on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

No no, I think they have on "Misogyny Blinders". Those would be like regular equestrian blinders, except they look at things through a very narrow view, effectively blocking out everything that does not support their own views.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing is already 3 pages in, and I'm too lazy to get involved.....

...but SMH @ people misrepresenting feminism just to fit some bullshit, imaginary paradigm.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I get the joke now. This artist is a sex-starved terrorist and he desires to turn America into: Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria, Vietnam, Tunisia, North Korea,China and whatever other oppressive nation that I did NOT list here.

I do NOT apologize for how Americans will never be as rapey as India [also the other nations listed above] but that's because we actually enforce prison population laws, we have a popular religion that prevents men from seeking sexual gratification. With the planet running out of food to feed this over-population, you'd think that there would be more emphasis on a: cleaner environment, smaller living quarters and less human sex. It's a shame that feminists will continue to ignore this crisis.

Why don't we just censor/ replace everything out of context while we are at it?

http://chinachannel.hk/
http://code.google.com/p/simpleprofanityfilter/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/search/?q=censor&appver=&platform=
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: