welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2/7 Hello Patriarchy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reader1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the story has sort of stagnated. the comic still has the same feel but the ongoing character development, conflict and drama that really makes it shine needs to be renewed. just in case tat actually reads these things ideas would be glossy falling in love with crim, nique trying to fix slick and him going though another round of rehab, lil'e getting his memories back and then having an internal battle for who he wants to be and doing major soul searching, fundie exploring his sexuality, or nique feeling like she doesn't have as much fun anymore and trying to balance her feminism with femininity
LarsenSan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reader1 wrote:
the story has sort of stagnated. the comic still has the same feel but the ongoing character development, conflict and drama that really makes it shine needs to be renewed. just in case tat actually reads these things ideas would be glossy falling in love with crim, nique trying to fix slick and him going though another round of rehab, lil'e getting his memories back and then having an internal battle for who he wants to be and doing major soul searching, fundie exploring his sexuality, or nique feeling like she doesn't have as much fun anymore and trying to balance her feminism with femininity

^
| THIS
joandark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reader1 wrote:
glossy falling in love with crim

1. It seems like Crim has enough love interests as it is. Fushia (of course), and Amber, from the way back whens, and who it seems like Tat might want to bring back. With all the drama his devil girlfriend is likely to have him in already, with devil still after her and all, I think he has enough to deal with.

2. I don't think that would go for the "I'm a strong independent woman who don't need no- Yowza! Look at that one!" angle with Xanthe. He might, but, I kinda doubt it would go down like that.

The rest of your ideas seem good.

Although, I would argue that conflict and drama were only fairly recent additions, for the most part. It was originally more about social commentary, and still sort of is.

Now, the fact that their IS drama and conflict is fine, but I would agree that it needs to be expanded upon, given closure if possible.
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joandark wrote:
2. I don't think that would go for the "I'm a strong independent woman who don't need no- Yowza! Look at that one!" angle with Xanthe. He might, but, I kinda doubt it would go down like that.

While I mostly agree with your post, this itches me the wrong way. Does being a feminist take away Xanthe's right to have a love interest? That's kinda closed minded.

You are right in a way, though, because Xanthe did already express her disinterest in associating herself romantically to anyone(The cupid comic. Don't want to dig it up.) And well... That's kinda what I don't like about Xanthe. Actively fighting for your ideals requires a certain level of open-mindness that she doesn't seem to have.
Reader1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although a lot of the social commentary has left, not sure i agree about the drama.
remember this one? http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2059

why do you think glossy would have a reaction like that? she'd have to fall for him because of who he is. the reason it would have to be crim is that he's the only male sinfest character that has never objectified women and could actually fit the part. besides if you want drama that would probably be the best place to look: glossy dealing with the idea that not all men are evil and that she might actually be susceptible to love, the feminists thinking their leader has gone soft, fusha feeling like she has lost the only person that ever saw her for human and dredging up the old self-worth problems, blue and devil corp trying to pull her back into the fold, green being displaced if she does go back, crim caught in the crossfire and back with the original gang when he needs support, he actually might get to be in a strip with someone besides fusha, then trying to reclaim his love after the misunderstanding

they don't have to actually go out, just get close enough to create a little havoc ;)
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea of Xanthe kind of developing a crush on someone - anyone - and suffering conflicted emotions about it would be kinda nice. She'd be conflicted because she doesn't really feel the desire to be in a relationship. And that, IMO, I think would be pretty great development for her, watching her deal with any aspect of dealing with a crush on anyone would be pretty interesting regardless of who it is. Personally I think it should be someone who is slightly misogynistic, though. Because honestly, she already KNOWS that men who aren't misogynistic or exist. She has for a while - that's why she gave Crim books when she could have given him a lecture, and gave Li'l E and Pebbles an idea for who they should fight instead of a lecture. She knows that there are good dudes who aren't sexist in the least in the universe. And so she doesn't bother them. Because they're good and have nothing to learn from her. Crushing on Crim isn't necessary because of that - plus he already has to deal with the haunting visions of Amber and we still have no idea what's up with THAT. However if it were someone misogynistic like say for instance, Slick, that she developed a crush on, she could deal with the conflict of having a crush on someone who is sexist and she'd obviously want him to change and become a better person. And I know you're thinking, oh, how could she possibly crush on a guy like Slick? I know, seems unlikely because he's sexist, but at the same time, he is a really sweet dude at times and cares about his friends, and he tries so hard all of the time. It's almost kind of adorable. It'd be a huge PERSONAL dramabomb for her, and dealing with all of the conflicting feelings that would result from such a thing would be really interesting!

(Seriously though what the FUCK is up with Crim being haunted by visions of Amber?)(WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THAT)(IS TAT GOING TO EXPLORE THAT?)(I WANT HIM TO SO BAD)(REALLY.)(IS IT A VISION OF THINGS TO COME?)(IS IT A REPRESENTATION OF HOW GUILTY HE IS WHEN HE THINKS OF HER FOR NEVER TRYING TO COMMUNICATE W/ HER AFTER THEIR DATE?)(WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON THERE)

But there are other potentials for such possibilities of a crush though that would have interesting results - like Li'l E, or the Tat fanboy, and who even says that she HAS to have a crush on a dude? Like, maybe she's not straight, huh? Ever thought about that??? She could crush on any one of the girls and it'd have interesting results.

joandark wrote:

If he can pull that card with Fuchsia he could fully well pull it with Xanthe. I don't put such things past him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it always feels like she thinks there's a bit of misogyny in all men, thatís my take on it. also whatís with everyone thinking amber is coming back? sure she was in a strip after being buried for so long but i think that was just tat giving blue another reason to dislike crim and worry about fusha more, a 'he did it before maybe he'll do it again" sorta thing.

the only way i see amber coming back is if blue brings her back to meddle with the happy couple

ps anyone remember when nique was like this?

Last edited by Reader1 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said that Amber was coming back. Tat doesn't seem very interested in the idea of physically bringing her back to interact with the main cast, but at the same time that's not the only recent strip with Amber in them.

We still don't know what the deal is with that strip. All we know is that it is not actually physically happening. Is Crim having a vision of the future? Or was he suddenly thinking about her while asleep and his conscious twisting that into a bad dream out of guilt for never interacting with her after their date? We don't know. He doesn't know. But I'm curious as to what is going on there since there is clearly no obvious answer.

I don't think Blue herself will bring anyone in to meddle with the happy couple - because why the fuck would Blue tell Crim not to break Fyoosh's heart only to do something she knows for a fact would break her heart? That's just it: she wouldn't.

I think it's obvious that she doesn't think that - in regards to Xanthe - because again. If she believed that she would likely have given a lecture to Crim, Li'l E and Gay Guy when given the chance. But she didn't. She does, however, know that Crim and Li'l E are - like everyone else - not aware of the patriarchy and its effects on them. She doesn't believe that there is misogyny in every male - just that everyone is a victim to the effects of the patriarchy even if they don't realize it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at this point i should probably point out that Tat is in fact literally making this all up as he goes, so looking for some grand overarching plan is probably a fruitless endeavor

in fact, i get the impression that when stuff from the archives actually does come back, it's more because Tat went back into the archives and saw something that he forgot he did seven or eight years ago and decided to make a comic about it
Reader1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
that's not the only recent strip with Amber

.....I did not notice that.......
huh.. weird

i get where you're comming from but that still feels like blue's doing: "suffer" in the cube (missed that the first time too). crim seemed oblivious back in the original strip

all in all i really don't care so much about where tat chooses to take the strip as long as he doesn't get too wild and actually moves on with the story line.
Holocauxt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarsenSan wrote:
It's simply that she should stop seeing life in black & white.

Oh the irony.

Miss Magenta wrote:
(Seriously though what the FUCK is up with Crim being haunted by visions of Amber?)(WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THAT)(IS TAT GOING TO EXPLORE THAT?)(I WANT HIM TO SO BAD)(REALLY.)(IS IT A VISION OF THINGS TO COME?)(IS IT A REPRESENTATION OF HOW GUILTY HE IS WHEN HE THINKS OF HER FOR NEVER TRYING TO COMMUNICATE W/ HER AFTER THEIR DATE?)(WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON THERE)

Jesus Christ, girl. Breathe. Don't go all Deadpool on us.
Opinions are like ass holes: everybody has them. Sometimes they're clean... sometimes they stink... and sometimes they're just full of shit. But if you love shoving yours up on other people's faces, then you're a fucking whore.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Does being a feminist take away Xanthe's right to have a love interest? That's kinda closed minded.

That certainly seems to be the implication, doesn't it? The liberated woman cares only for her own desires, right? Notice that 'Nique is no longer out to save the world, promote peace, improve conditions for the downtrodden laborers of Hell Inc., etc. Instead, her sole concerns, now, seem to be only to fight the nebulous Patriarchy and to do only what she wants. She specifically disavows any desire to "please men." (Ironically, would that mean a liberated man would no longer have any interest in pleasing women? If such is liberation, then, sorry, but I think I'd prefer to be a chauvinist in the eyes of the "liberated." I enjoy love, sex, and sharing too much, and politics far too little, to be willing to trade the one for the others.) So it definitely seems that Tat is at least tacitly assuming that those concerned with being liberated from their gender roles and stereotypes are no longer interested in love, romantic or platonic, nor in the true betterment of society.

It's rather ironic, but 'Nique was far more self-less--in the best of ways--before she took Xanthe's red pill.

It leaves one wondering whether Tat is endorsing a liberated view of society, or condemning it?
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
or condemning it?

Nah, that would be the most intricate plot twist in the history of webcomics. Tat clearly believes in what he writes and draws. Also the implication in this particular strip is that 'Nique doesn't NEED to satisfy men's desires so she chooses not to. Not that it's a bad thing, necessarily.

Last edited by Leohan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
LarsenSan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holocauxt wrote:
LarsenSan wrote:
It's simply that she should stop seeing life in black & white.

Oh the irony.

Ironic because that's old Nique. Yes, she used to have a wide array of colors in her vision. Nowadays she's so concerned about the Patriarchy that her vision has narrowed to a simple B&W.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walks into the sub-forum

looks around

walks right back out

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: