welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feb. 9: Not the same.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chuckled. Anyone else see this as a gentle jab at the people complaining about the Patriarchy strips?
TheJabawack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one side I can understand why Slick complains. When I see an old friend wich I haven't talked to for a while I'd like to actually communicate with them.

On the other side Monique seems to be perfectly comfortable with just sitting these with Slick so she probably still thinks about him as a friend...

Maybe now they'll finally talk a bit. (Or next strip could be about something completely different ).
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth
lol

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
I chuckled. Anyone else see this as a gentle jab at the people complaining about the Patriarchy strips?

I do. The recent strips seem like direct addresses to the forums honestly.

It's interesting because Slick is the one who's uncomfortable here. Some may paint 'Nique was the "downer", but she seemed content hanging with Slick.

I'd like to add that your relationship with your friends can change, and you can still remain friends despite that. Slick and Monique are young, and any shifts in identity may change how they relate to one another. It's pretty normal.

Last edited by lol on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laughed..."I'm sorry am I doing it wrong?"

I figured Nique and him would eventually parody this. I do love that Tat seemingly responds to the forum in such a way, if that's what this is of course.

Either way, just a fun strip. She's just so "Okay, let's hang out" and they do. But it shows the strip has been moving with character progression for both of them. Slick has been changing in his own way for a long time, slowly growing more troubled with finding love and Nique, even though dealing with his obsession with lust still. And Nique started having doubts about herself being all about boys. Then the Sisterhood was introduced and we got some big story changes that pushed both of them farther down this road.

Can't wait to see where the strip goes in the future. It should be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:

Tat definitely is reading the forums.
Leohan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:

I wouldn't discard the possibility of Tat just getting nostalgic, himself.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be because it's a pretty clear jab at you and the stances you and others have supported in this very forum.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm detecting some slight confirmation bias here.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps just a bit, but the evidence certainly leans that direction given how often arguments being put forth on this very forum are lampooned in the strip.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really mind if it's a jab, an agreement or a general acknowledgement, really. It makes me happy.
Reader1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a one track mind is a powerful thing, when a person becomes so focused on something that it pervades every aspect of their lives it pushes the boundaries of what they can do and inspires those around them. at the same time this works like a set of blinders, causing them to have a disproportioned view of reality and pass over things that may be even more important than what they are pursuing. being well rounded and taking something in from anotherís perspective from time to time, especially those with a greatly differed point of view, makes us better human beings... plus i'm tired of reading the same thing every strip
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic newbies keep going on about how Sinfest is being repetitive while at the same time moaning about how they want it to go back to the way it was.

I'd call it irony, but it's really just contradictory. You can't have both.

And hey, let's be real. Tat's just gunna bite his thumb at you if you act like you can tell him what to do, anyway.
Reader1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just want stuff to happen... there's been no real character development, sinfest's primary plot device, since this happened 3 months ago

amusing but kinda weak. besides that the story's all over the place and tat can't really spread out any more or else he's going to be telling multiple stories, its sorta already like that. to move on with things he has to consolidate his story lines

Last edited by Reader1 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all about new 'nique expressing gender nonconformity and being true to her identity, not society's expectations. I can't help but think that some of her "grab life by the horns" attitude, her owning and being empowered by her sexuality, her devil may care attitude/ carefree spirit in the face of misogyny has been put aside in favor of nonconformity. Now it's like she is passively resisting the system by removing herself from the binary where as before she was actively co-opting the system by taking societal preconceptions and making them her own by subverting them into a source of strength and power. Both are valid approaches to the problem (I, myself, tend to favor the former) but 'nique seems somehow diminished in this role, lacking that spark of life that led her to fight to change things, rather than stand part and hold herself up as an example of change.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Tat's just gunna bite his thumb at you if you act like you can tell him what to do, anyway.

nice, I like that.

Reader1 wrote:
besides that the story's all over the place and tat can't really spread out any more or else he's going to be telling multiple stories, its sorta already like that. to move on with things he has to consolidate his story lines

splitting the characters up into their own storylines is were their development comes from. crimmy never would have gone anywhere if he just stayed slick and squigg's nerdy friend. fuschia never would have been anymore than a devil girl if she stayed in hell with baby blue. look at what pairing them off in their own storyline has done in adding depth to the world of sinfest. the dynamic between lil e and pebbles as fantastic and has really given new life to the occasionally funny but pretty dimensionally limited character of lil e.
The same characters interacting with the same characters everytime doesn't leave much room for development. pair off two unlikely characters with each other, though, and tat can explore new aspects of those characters.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: