welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 702, 703, 704 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
well all that turned out to be moot anyway because they didn't let me in, so no Jared Diamond for me :c

Do you want us to write you a letter of recommendation like we did for Gary?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be honored

and perhaps frightened
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
He has a MySpace link that doesn't work. I will try the PM. Thanks, guys.

if you connect with him, say hi for us.

or for me, at least.

and shadow, jared diamond doesn't know what he's missing. at least, we can hope he doesn't know. we'll try to keep the fembot thread out of the letter of recommendation.
Kitten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:

well all that turned out to be moot anyway because they didn't let me in, so no Jared Diamond for me :c

ugh, sorry. those classes are super competitive. welp, if you're really annoyed you can tell the peta picketers that jared diamond is pro-animal testing and send them off to his lecture.

on the bright side, if your classes get lame you can get ice cream sandwiches at diddy riese! Very Happy
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an ice cream sandwich is almost as good as jared diamond

i get the feeling from the wording of the syllabus that lil' old philosophy major me was only going to get in if they couldn't find fifty geography/anthropology/environmental science majors to take this class so i guess it was a long shot anyways. oh well
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreams are always good.

and now that you know about the class, you have a starting point for stalking him.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stalking him, hell, i have the material to start down the long road to supervillainy now

and that's what really matters
jwing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago I had an alcoholic drink recipe that tasted like a chocolate covered cherry. The kicker was there was a marischino cherry in the layered shot; you had to be careful knocking that thing back or else you'd choke on the cherry.

I can't find the blasted recipe anymore!

Can someone help me?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it that drink with grenadine on the bottom, a cherry, Kalua, and topped with Bailey's Irish Cream?
jwing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!! that could be it. any idea on measurements?
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I know is pretty simple; half-ounce of each. Pour carefully or the layering won't work. It helps if the liquors are slowly running down the inside of the glass instead of just being poured into the center.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For optimal results, I've seen bartenders do a trick where they pour it over the back of a spoon that is just touching the surface of the liqueur. This prevents it from "falling" into the layers below and mixing. Also, keeping the liqueurs cold can help too, they are less liable to mix then.
Jinx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Finnegan wrote:
-trying to fill yourself up with water and salad to ease hunger won't work. your brain doesn't associate a full stomach with being satiated. you need protein for that. serotonin imbalances can also effect this.

This is a good point, but it's also worth noting that dehydration can feel like hunger. So it works both ways. If you're getting enough water it won't make you full, but if you're not getting enough it can make you think you're hungry. Since most people don't get enough water, drinking a glass or two when you feel hungry won't hurt.

Drinking plenty of water is generally a good thing. It's much harder to overdrink than underdrink. So, if in doubt, have some water.

In addition to dehydration feeling like hunger, I read something a few months ago that basically said when you are underhydrated, your kidneys aren't doing their job as efficiently. This can cause your liver to "help out" and start processing toxins out of your bloodstream. When doing this, your liver is less efficient at metabolizing fats.

LSS - keeping sufficiently hydrated can help prevent a situation in which your body won't burn as much fat. (That's awkwardly worded because I loathe saying things like, "drinking water burns fat." That's BS. But not drinking enough water apparently can reduce the fat your body burns.)
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jinx wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Finnegan wrote:
-trying to fill yourself up with water and salad to ease hunger won't work. your brain doesn't associate a full stomach with being satiated. you need protein for that. serotonin imbalances can also effect this.

This is a good point, but it's also worth noting that dehydration can feel like hunger. So it works both ways. If you're getting enough water it won't make you full, but if you're not getting enough it can make you think you're hungry. Since most people don't get enough water, drinking a glass or two when you feel hungry won't hurt.

Drinking plenty of water is generally a good thing. It's much harder to overdrink than underdrink. So, if in doubt, have some water.

It's also kind of a downward spiral from experience. Once you enter dehydration mode you have very little will to get up and hydrate yourself. Or maybe that was the malnourishment portion. Or the meds.

I don't know, dehydration sucks.
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen, Finn, DeD - Thanks for the advice. I was already cutting down on my servings and have a five-pound bag of those mini-Fuji apples for snackies, so I should be alright.

Dogen: I found the book you mentioned through the Inter-Loan Library here, so I'll be reading that book in a few weeks.

Speaking of water, which is healthier: Tap or bottled? I'm currently drinking 16oz bottles of the local supermarket brand because I do not know what is in the tap. How can I find out what's in either?

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 702, 703, 704 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 703 of 755

Jump to: