welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii U Death Vigil (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 350, 351, 352 ... 445, 446, 447  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Didn't cause the calamity, but certainly did terrible things. Even ignoring all the Ura killed, all those gasbags and beasts were both sentient and intelligent. The gasbags were a part of Ceylondian society before the calamity put them at cross purposes with the kid. That's why Rucks feels the need to point out that the Bastion will make everything better for everyone by resetting things. He's trying to justify sending the kid out, while knowing what caused everything, and knowing that the kid's going to have to fight and kill. But all that death, all that murder, just to make an airship?

That's what makes it an interesting decision. Do you reset things? Knowing that there is absolutely no guarantee that history won't loop over and over again, or maybe even come out worse. Or do you set in stone a series of actions that (in hindsight) are downright barbaric, and try to move forward from that?

Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a Brazilian team just beat a Korean team at League of Legends at IEM Sao Paolo.

That sound you just heard, that was a thousand oddsmaker's heads exploding in unison.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lucky gambler just earned a brazillian dollars.
eureka00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally is playing WoW again yay! Razz
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotline Miami - in which you massacre large numbers of stereotypical 80's organized crime members in white leisure suits, while under the influence of heavy drug use and for no other reason than your answering machine asked you to.

Although I must say, the synth music is catchy.
CTrees

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many words have been written by various video game wonks about what Hotline Miami is trying to say in regards to the player being a terrible person. Last year had a few interesting games addressing the player (see: Spec Ops: The Line).
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Many words have been written by various video game wonks about what Hotline Miami is trying to say in regards to the player being a terrible person. Last year had a few interesting games addressing the player (see: Spec Ops: The Line).

Not gonna lie, it amazes me that people are reading so much into a game in which mysterious people in animal masks that may or may not be hallucinations leave messages on your answering machine telling you to murder a bunch of dudes. Not to mention dudes that walk around their houses with shotguns and baseball bats in leisure suits. It amazes me even more when the people who are "Astounded by it's violence" are people who post about 5-headshot streaks in Counterstrike on their Twitter and profess that they love Manhunt.

Especially when the game tries pretty hard to point out that the player is fucked in the head and getting progressively more so throughout the game.

Honestly this guy:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DevinWilson/20121026/180284/Why_Hotline_Miami.php

Just pissed me off after he tried to defend himself with:
Quote:
In Counterstrike: Global Offensive, I sort of see through the violence into the play structure underneath, and I think a lot of other people do too. It's not exactly about "shooting people in the head", it's about clicking the left mouse button when my cursor is on the opponent's player model. It becomes much more abstract. The primary interaction of a CS: GO match is not "kill the other team". It's not even "destroy/protect the bomb site". It's "win more than half of the possible rounds" (so, win 16 rounds if the halves are 15 rounds each).

I mean fuck, having been an avid Counterstrike player for years I can tell you that it, of all games, lacks any kind of story what-so-ever and is focused solely on search-and-destroy.

Although it might just be that I'm a sucker for top-down games and always have been.

As for Spec Ops, I haven't played it yet, but from what I've heard it borrows heavily from Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I really enjoyed Heart of Darkness, so I might look into getting Spec Ops. Although unfortunately I already know the endings, so some of the story value is gone I guess.

Edit: In retrospect I guess I kind of see Hotline Miami as being American Psycho-esque. I mean, it doesn't glorify violence - it takes it to such a surreal level that it makes you think "wow - this is pretty fucked up".

And I reiterate, the soundtrack is fantastic.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out for a bunch of errands this weekend, ended up stopping at best buy for a game with my gift card.

Got Far Cry 3.

Contrary to my belief before playing it, you are not in fact the Khal Drogo looking dude on the cover. That's my only real complaint. That and the terrible, TURRIBLE, handling of vehicles.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WoW quote of the day: "Buff priests, even the pope is rerolling."
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam For Linux just went official, and of course the news was kicked off with a big week-long sale for all the games that will run on Linux. 57 titles with 50-80% discounts, which also apply to any Windows or Mac versions of the same games.
Also, TF2 item for Linux users.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, System Shock 2 is finally legally acquirable again via GOG.

This took a ridiculous amount of lawyering to make happen.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on the new PS4 controller?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe I'm still so into GW2. Though I'm honestly more addicted in mix and matching armor outfits. <.<
Mini J

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped GW2 shortly after halloween. Not by any conscious choice either; just one day I said "eh, I don't feel like playing today", and I never logged in again.

Pity too, I never did quite reach the endgame. I think I hit 72 and stopped there.
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't seem to get interested in the PS4. It's like, okay, it will get closer to PC-level graphics, has a ton of social features I don't care about, added a touch thingie to the controller, can beam to the Vita (which is kinda cool, but I don't have one), and gave up on backwards compatibility. Essentially, it's given me no reason to not be happy with the PS3+PC combination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 350, 351, 352 ... 445, 446, 447  Next
Page 351 of 447

Jump to: