welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1153, 1154, 1155 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a tracking number, but FedEx says they never got the package. I guess it's being looked into now. I just want an answer soon so I can replace the order if I need to and I don't have to get something with windows 8 and figure out how to install 7 (legally) on it without spending all of my money.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yeah that happens. It's usually a vendor that created the label but didn't actually stick it to the package and send it out. It's possible they sent it out with a different label and tracking number, or it's possible they never sent it out to begin with (possibly ran out of stock).

Keep houdnding the seller until you get an answer. Good luck!
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I hope they find it.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a refund, ever thought of doing a custom built? I'm pretty sure for $700 you could get a better computer that way, even including the Win8 price. I'll see if I can throw together a parts list for funsies.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh but the point is I definitely do not want Windows 8 at all. It is not about price because the same computer with 8 is actually priced identically. It just sounds like an abysmal operating system and I want to avoid it as long as possible.

I'm pretty sure you could build something from scratch for less, but I have never done that before.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woops, I thought you were going for Windows 8.

Anyways, building from scratch is really easy. I mean, you are looking at only like 8 components or so for a basic build. Just mount the CPU into the socket on the mobo, put the cooler on, screw the mobo into the computer case, slot in graphics card and ram, plug in CD drive and Hard drives, hook up power cables to the parts that need power (IE the mobo, the disk drives and hard drives, and the graphics card). Boot 'er up and stick in the install CD and you should be done.

Once I built my first computer, I realized how easy it was. Really, anyone (bar mac users) can work on their own machine and really shouldn't be scared of opening the case up and working on it.

Also, I hear you on the Win8 being abysmal. some buddies have comps running it and playing with them makes me cringe.

Question: Do you have your heart set on an AMD FX processor? Because the previous generation Phenom II quad and hex cores are more than adequate for pretty much any computing task I can think of, while being cheaper and having more parts available for them.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down for anything that has an HDMI port and the ability to play games like WoW and Sims 3 and maybe some newer ones on at LEAST medium settings. I'm so sick of playing with the shittiest graphics options ever.

The HDMI is for hooking it up to my TV, aw yis.

I think if I did put my own together I'd harass one of my computer savvy friends into at least hanging out with me while I did it. Just to be safe, like I get that it's fairly simple and normally I'm all for that kind of thing but if I wrecked an expensive part I'd be super bummed.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thrown together a quicky parts list. It gives you the same processor, 8GB of 1600MHz RAM, a better graphics card (a 7750 vs a 6670), 1TB of hard drive space, a decent, albeit non-flashy case, 500W power supply and DVD/CD reader/burner. And a copy of Win7 Home Premium 64-bit. Also an aftermarket CPU cooler, since you're doing some gaming.

New parts list, total cost is $694.90 + Shipping. If you needed to cut costs down, you could probably forgo the CPU cooler and get away with using the stock one, or cut the hard drive down to a 500GB one.

CD/DVD Burner and Drive: $19.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Antec 300 Case: $59.99:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

Seagate 1TB HDD: $79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

Gigabyte GA-970 Motherboard: $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128521

Sapphire HD7750 Graphics card: $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969

Silverstone 500W Power Supply, 80+ Certified: $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256061

8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 RAM, G.Skills: $49.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

AMD FX-4100 CPU, 3.6 ( 3.8GHz ) GHz Quad Core: $104.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103996

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64Bit: $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

CoolerMaster 212+ CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

There you have it. I didn't include a keyboard or mouse, but that's more because I don't know your personal preferences on them (You'd be amazed how defensive people get about ergonomic keyboards) and also because you might have a perfectly good one you intend to re-use.

So, with this you get:

1) A better graphics card. a 6670 is okay, but won't handle 1080p very well or anything, a 7750 should easily handle 1080p with WoW and the Sims. Overall you'll just get a much higher fps and it'll run any game better than a 6670. And it has the HDMI support you needed.

2) Double the hard drive space.

3) USB 3.0, along with Sata 6gb/s.

4) a 500W power supply, versus a 400W.

5) Better cooler for the CPU, which does make a difference.

6) Extra x16 PCI-E slot if you ever feel the need to buy a second graphics card and do a crossfire/SLI dual-card setup.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! For now I'm stuck seeing how this investigation goes, but I'll definitely keep this page handy.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best luck with it, Samsally. If the opportunity presents itself, I'd give some serious consideration taking Fritters up on his implied offer; that piece-parted machine has got better specs than the CybertonPC package, from what I can see.

Fritt, do you put your boxen together yourself? And, if so, what kind of after-purchase service and support do you offer?
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why she would need a cpu cooler that isnt stock if she isn't going to heavily OC. Also, if you're going for something like the fx-4100, you'll get identical performance with a phenom II x4 965 for 20-30 less bucks, which she can then drop on a 7770. Perhaps even something even better when replacing the case with something cheaper, as well as the PSU (try looking for cases with integrated psu/case). The trick to building budget gaming rigs is to fit in as big of a gpu possible while not having totally sucky components. And if you aren't going to OC it is really worth it to check intel since amd only gets good when OC'ed

Also, if you have Medion in America, check it out, they have an i5/650 gtx pc on sale for about 700 dollars.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Best luck with it, Samsally. If the opportunity presents itself, I'd give some serious consideration taking Fritters up on his implied offer; that piece-parted machine has got better specs than the CybertonPC package, from what I can see.

Fritt, do you put your boxen together yourself? And, if so, what kind of after-purchase service and support do you offer?

Oh no, I don't build them for profit. This was just a suggestion. My work on computers is simply a hobby for me. Building computers for other people is no fun, you have to deal with warranties and insurance and unpleasantness. Not to mention there isn't much money in it, at least for someone like me who would be ordering individual parts and assembling it by hand.

MrMoustache wrote:
I don't see why she would need a cpu cooler that isnt stock if she isn't going to heavily OC. Also, if you're going for something like the fx-4100, you'll get identical performance with a phenom II x4 965 for 20-30 less bucks, which she can then drop on a 7770. Perhaps even something even better when replacing the case with something cheaper, as well as the PSU (try looking for cases with integrated psu/case). The trick to building budget gaming rigs is to fit in as big of a gpu possible while not having totally sucky components. And if you aren't going to OC it is really worth it to check intel since amd only gets good when OC'ed

Yeah, that's what my original thought was, I have an OC'd x4 955 myself. Great little processor that can overclock really nicely.

As for a cheaper PSU, I'd be wary, especially case/PSU combos. Cheap gray-box PSUs bring a whole host of problems, voltage regulation on them can be wonky as hell, they tend to be vastly overrated (IE a 700 Watt PSU only puts out 400 watts), power surges that can kill your components and the good old fashioned BBQ when the sleeve bearing in the psu fan fails and wiring starts burning. I have personally suffered the BBQ, it's no fun when smoke starts coming out of your case.

Also, the bigger-is-better GPU isn't necessarily correct. A lot of non FPS games out there can put some pretty significant strain on the CPU; Minecraft comes to mind. Also, I don't think Samsally clarified if it was purely a gaming machine or a gaming desktop that also has to do work.

Can't really comment on the Intel vs. AMD thing since I have been an AMD fanboy since Intel's integrated graphics decided to screw around with me. Although I disagree with the "Only good if OC'd statement, as tests have proven that AMD provides a decent product for the pricepoint while not being able to compete in the top end bracket.

EDIT: Sorry if that came out a little snarky. I didn't really intend for it to sound like that. I was more just aiming to provide a computer with better specs than the one posted; while at the same time costing more or less the same amount. Went with a well rounded computer seeing as I didn't have much to go on other than HDMI output, Sims 3 and WoW.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Oh but the point is I definitely do not want Windows 8 at all. It is not about price because the same computer with 8 is actually priced identically. It just sounds like an abysmal operating system and I want to avoid it as long as possible.

I've been running Windows 8 on three machines since August. While I was dubious at first as I got used to the differences, I now think it's an excellent operating system, and I'm not just saying that because the company pays my salary. With the most significant update to the user experience since Windows 95, there's a bit of a learning curve, and Microsoft didn't help things any with their poor discoverability of how to do things the new way. On the other hand, Windows 8 does everything Windows 7 does, only faster and more securely. It can run all the same desktop software, plus the new "Windows Store" applications. Some time spent on learning the new ways of doing things will be amply rewarded.

Or, you can stick with Windows 7. Nothing wrong with that.
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:

EDIT: Sorry if that came out a little snarky. I didn't really intend for it to sound like that. I was more just aiming to provide a computer with better specs than the one posted; while at the same time costing more or less the same amount. Went with a well rounded computer seeing as I didn't have much to go on other than HDMI output, Sims 3 and WoW.

Np man, I am building a rig myself atm and have just been doing some research. I dunno if it is the same in the us, but on amazon/ebay you can find upgrade kits with a mobo, processor and RAM for a discount. (Fx-6100 + decent mobo + 8 gigs for 240 usd). If you guys have Medion (or Aldi) they have an amazing offer with an i5 + 660gtx for about 700 usd. Its with windows 8 but worth it. Anyhow, good luck!
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:

Samsally, I would start small if you've never done any of it before. Upgrade the RAM in a system. The hard drive. The video card. Stuff like that. If you bend a pin on either the motherboard or the back of the CPU you'll void your warranty (you can bend them back sometimes, though) and have to buy another. It's kind of difficult to bend them under normal circumstances, to be honest, but one of those things you need to know walking into it.

Also, if something breaks you have individual warranties on the pieces (which are often longer than the warranty offered on a pre-built system), but you have to figure out which piece is broken before you can get it replaced. If you can handle that, though, it is kind of cool to build your own PC. Or, it was for me... and I'm not a nerd or anything!

>.> <.<
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1153, 1154, 1155 ... 1244, 1245, 1246  Next
Page 1154 of 1246

Jump to: