welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6109
Location: California

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if by "valid point" you mean "incoherent babbling and creepy zeal for totalitarianism"...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dennis J. Squidbunny



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3791
Location: AUSTRALIA YOU FAKIR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Thy, I usually enjoy your affable paranoid craziness, but you've dropped a lot of ridiculous shit in this recent Thysplosion, but you've really crossed into the pale with the accusation that Dogen's mum isn't blue collar enough.

Go fuck yourself, and your mum card. Seriously, take a fucking walk, you absolute douche.
_________________
"Eight hundred pounds of nitro, his boots are thunder as he plays."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3596
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: He started it. Reply with quote

Guess it's ok for Dogen to insult me whenever he wants, but not the other way around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dennis J. Squidbunny



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3791
Location: AUSTRALIA YOU FAKIR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, dude, when was the last time he questioned how hard your mum worked while she raised you and your two siblings alone?
_________________
"Eight hundred pounds of nitro, his boots are thunder as he plays."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10888
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can insult me any time you like. I'll hit you back, but it's not as though your opinion of my mother is informed. It doesn't even approach anecdotal evidence, and we all know how much I respect that. Knock yourself out.

My main problem is you don't even realize when you make irrational arguments. I imagine you sitting at home after a post, cracking your knuckles and smiling to yourself about how you just served us, meanwhile we're all like ಠ__ಠ

I don't know where you learned logic, but you suck at it.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Ill do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2444

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: "out of touch" criticisms abound Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
I clearly said it was an issue of time and being a blue collar worker

As mouse already quoted, Thy Brilliance wrote:
Someone like that literally doesn't have the time to sit down with their kids and have a talk about sex, when they are barely financially surviving.

You are quite wrong. I don't understand why you would lie about what you've said when anyone reading the thread can, with the push of a button, see for themselves.

You absolutely did say that teaching your kids about sex was literally a matter of having the time to talk to them. When Dogen pointed out that it didn't take much time, you changed your criterion to being physically tired. You have since changed it again - now it's about people not knowing how to raise their kids properly, and it has nothing to do with time at all.

mouse was perfectly on the mark that you are changing your metric to dodge arguments you find inconvenient, and the fact that you are pretending otherwise is deeply dishonest.
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3596
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: "out of touch" criticisms abound Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
I clearly said it was an issue of time and being a blue collar worker

As mouse already quoted, Thy Brilliance wrote:
Someone like that literally doesn't have the time to sit down with their kids and have a talk about sex, when they are barely financially surviving.

You are quite wrong. I don't understand why you would lie about what you've said when anyone reading the thread can, with the push of a button, see for themselves.

You absolutely did say that teaching your kids about sex was literally a matter of having the time to talk to them. When Dogen pointed out that it didn't take much time, you changed your criterion to being physically tired. You have since changed it again - now it's about people not knowing how to raise their kids properly, and it has nothing to do with time at all.

mouse was perfectly on the mark that you are changing your metric to dodge arguments you find inconvenient, and the fact that you are pretending otherwise is deeply dishonest.




Did you happen to notice the part where I said "Someone like that."?

It's referring to the blue collar worker.

Let's look up that word.

Google wrote:
Blue Collar

Blue-collar workers perform labor jobs and typically work with their hands. The skills necessary for blue-collar work vary by occupation. Some blue-collar occupations require highly skilled personnel who are formally trained and certified. These workers include aircraft mechanics, plumbers, electricians and structural workers. Many blue-collar employers hire unskilled and low-skilled workers to perform simple tasks such as cleaning, maintenance and assembly line work.



Are you guys playing a prank on me?

Cause this is pretty unreal.

I didn't change any criteria, when a person is physically tired from labor they (by definition) need to spend more time sleeping to recover.

Anyone who spent any time at a gym would know this.

ONE IS A SUBSET OF THE OTHER


How am I dodging anything when it is so easy to explain it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3596
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
You can insult me any time you like. I'll hit you back, but it's not as though your opinion of my mother is informed. It doesn't even approach anecdotal evidence, and we all know how much I respect that. Knock yourself out.

My main problem is you don't even realize when you make irrational arguments. I imagine you sitting at home after a post, cracking your knuckles and smiling to yourself about how you just served us, meanwhile we're all like ಠ__ಠ

I don't know where you learned logic, but you suck at it.


I'll tell you what my problem is dogen.

It's that I'm incapable of expressing myself properly.


I honestly feel that no matter how hard I try, I can't get someone to understand what it is I'm actually saying.


The way I've experienced the world is almost like an unreal dream.

I don't know how to describe it.

That being said, I really like you Dogen, because you can sometime clear through the clutter that I write, and you let me have my stupid pride while I'm at it even if I'm being insufferable, and I hope you aren't insulted by my almost mechanically cruel observations of your past, because like you said, I really know nothing about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2444

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: "out of touch" criticisms abound Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
I didn't change any criteria, when a person is physically tired from labor they (by definition) need to spend more time sleeping to recover.

So now you have explained and distilled your argument. It's not just about the time, it's about time plus the physical tiredness that . . . requires slightly more time to recover from.

There is no prank, I am not mocking; as far as I can tell I am not misunderstanding anything you just wrote - you literally just explained that being physically tired is different from normal work because it takes up more time in sleeping.

Calculate this in your head. Blue collar worker works 40-45 hours, and by your extended definition, needs perhaps an extra 7 hours of work per week. Dogen's example is of someone whose work takes up 60 hours of work per week.

By your newly explained criteria, you are still in the wrong.
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thy Brilliance



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3596
Location: Relative

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: "out of touch" criticisms abound Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
I didn't change any criteria, when a person is physically tired from labor they (by definition) need to spend more time sleeping to recover.

So now you have explained and distilled your argument. It's not just about the time, it's about time plus the physical tiredness that . . . requires slightly more time to recover from.

There is no prank, I am not mocking; as far as I can tell I am not misunderstanding anything you just wrote - you literally just explained that being physically tired is different from normal work because it takes up more time in sleeping.

Calculate this in your head. Blue collar worker works 40-45 hours, and by your extended definition, needs perhaps an extra 7 hours of work per week. Dogen's example is of someone whose work takes up 60 hours of work per week.

By your newly explained criteria, you are still in the wrong.



Usually when I have an unusually labor intensive day of work at my white collar job I just drop dead on the bed when I get home,

But that's not going to be enough to convince you.

How about time spent commuting for a blue collar worker as opposed to a white collar worker?

2-3 hours minimum spent commuting everyday is huge.

that's 10-15 extra hours every week.

Quote:
Occupation affects commuting because it is related to income, to job location, to socio-economic status and therefore to residential location, and possibly to attitudes about commuting. For example, Gera and Kuhn (1981) found that some occupational groups, particularly skilled blue collar workers, traveled considerably longer distances than the spatial structure implied they must. Cubukgil and Miller (1982) attribute this to both the high income of skilled blue collar workers--the same as middle managers and semi-professional--and to a greater propensity to commute. The variable job locations of construction workers might also be a factor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2444

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Usually when I have an unusually labor intensive day of work at my white collar job I just drop dead on the bed when I get home,

But that's not going to be enough to convince you.

You are right, it's not; because I have had all sorts of jobs, white collar and blue collar, including unloading trucks at UPS, and I didn't "drop dead" when I got home, except when I was ill.

Thy Brilliance wrote:
How about time spent commuting for a blue collar worker as opposed to a white collar worker?

2-3 hours minimum spent commuting everyday is huge.

that's 10-15 extra hours every week.

I read this, and then I read your quotation below it, expecting a source that said that blue collar workers, on average, spend 2-3 more hours per day commuting than white collar workers. I expected it to say that, because that's what it had to say to support your point. It didn't, and therefore it didn't.

I hereby contend that you will never find a source that claims blue collar workers spend 2-3 hours more per day commuting than white collar workers, because I feel quite confident it's not true. Actually, I don't think you can find anything that says blue collar workers spend 1 hour more per day. I think you must have read a random paper about a specific industry (construction?) and carelessly extended it out to all blue collar workers, which makes it very, very poor support for your point.

Why did you pick "2-3 hours minimum" as the figure to cite? From my view, it looks like the "extra sleep" point wasn't enough to justify your claim, and so now you've scrambled over to commuting, and when it's not enough, that you will scramble over to something else. This reads to me like you haven't actually put your argument together, yet, instead making it up as you go along. This might be the root cause of your inability to express your argument.
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitflipper



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Posts: 728
Location: Here and Now

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Isn't Iceland the warm one, mouse?

Relative to what? Average summer temperature for the southern parts of the island is 10C (50F) to 13C (55F). Average winter temperature is from freezing down to -10C (14F). That's pretty mild for a location north of 60 latitude, but still on the chilly side, for most folks.

I agree with mouse, on this one; landing someone on the Moon is a very, very different problem from regulating internet content and traffic. And, frankly, I don't think that, even if such regulation as Iceland's Minister Jonasson seeks is possible, said regulation will actually achieve the goal of protecting anyone from anything. Kids are pretty smart when it comes to satisfying their curiosity, and endlessly creative at circumventing limits placed upon them by their elders.
_________________
I am only a somewhat arbitrary sequence of raised and lowered voltages to which your mind insists upon assigning meaning
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10622
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceland is weird. I'm not saying it's a bad place, and there are lots of good things about it, but somethings are just odd.

Like the name list thing, where it become more acceptable to call a young woman 'girl' as opposed to her given name, because her name is not on the official approved list.

I mean, they're all green with geothermal energy but allow whaling -- what's up with that?
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6559

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Samsally wrote:
Isn't Iceland the warm one, mouse?

Relative to what? Average summer temperature for the southern parts of the island is 10C (50F) to 13C (55F). Average winter temperature is from freezing down to -10C (14F). That's pretty mild for a location north of 60 latitude, but still on the chilly side, for most folks.


Hah. Our winters are worse and our summers are nicer. (-15F to 90F)

But when I said "warm one" I was comparing it to Greenland. Someone told me once their climates were flipped compared to what you would expect.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bitflipper



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Posts: 728
Location: Here and Now

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
I mean, they're all green with geothermal energy but allow whaling -- what's up with that?

There's not much to eat on Iceland unless you're a sheep, or unless you're really into, ermm..., "well-aged," fish. I guess a whale would begin looking pretty tasty to me, too.

And that thing about the names? O-kay, so, it's the government they want (Iceland's a parliamentary democracy, one of the oldest in the world, from what I understand), but, seriously, acceptable names? Totalitarian, much? If the people are accustomed to requiring official approval for minutiae like that, I begin to see why the government believes it might be able to regulate internet content. (I still think they're sadly mistaken in that belief, but, hey, let 'em find out for themselves.)

Actually, that name issue strikes closer to the heart of this thread's topic than even porn does. Shouldn't a person (male or female, for that matter) be free to call herself whatever she likes?
_________________
I am only a somewhat arbitrary sequence of raised and lowered voltages to which your mind insists upon assigning meaning
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Page 167 of 317

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group