welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading . . . . Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234 ... 243, 244, 245  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have the subtitle of "Putting a Price on Irony"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Canopus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two comics:

47 Ronin, art by Stan Sakai. A nice gem if you ask me. I haven't kept up with the funny rabbit story in years though, so I think I'll look into that.

The Strain, yes, the one by Guillermo del Toro. I've found that the graphic novel format works better for depicting visceral horror than the novel. Not a masterpiece, but a nice nod with just a slight swerve away from convention. Better than a lot of the vampire television going on right now.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kami Garcia's & Margaret Stohl's The Caster Chronicles: Beautiful Creatures, Beautiful Darkness, Beautiful Chaos, and Beautiful Redemption. decent books? worth a read? or Twilight-esque trash?

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Superman! by Tom De Haven (2006)
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up Gun Machine by Warren Ellis from the library. I am very, very excited!

I am also rereading Broken Angels by Richard Morgan. Good stuff.

Finnegan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Kami Garcia's & Margaret Stohl's The Caster Chronicles: Beautiful Creatures, Beautiful Darkness, Beautiful Chaos, and Beautiful Redemption. decent books? worth a read? or Twilight-esque trash?

Has anyone read these? I heard that a movie version of the first book, Beautiful Creatures, is being released soon and I would like to form an opinion of my own on the series before the fandom biases me against it out of sheer annoyance. I'm just about finished Elif Batuman's The Possessed: Adventures with Russian Books and the People Who Read Them (which I recommend to anyone who is a fan of Russian literature) and before investing the time and money in a new series I would appreciate the opinion of someone whose taste in books I respect (i.e. not random internet reviews). My experience with young adult fiction is sketchy and with the popularity of series like Twilight I don't feel I can trust online reviews.

No offense intended to those 'festers who enjoyed the Twilight series. I know of at least one of you who mentioned being a fan whose taste in books I respect, it just isn't the sort of thing that appeals to me (not that I am even close to the intended audience anyway).

in short: has anyone read and can recommend Kami Garcia's Beautiful Creatures?

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can't help you in the least.

I'm almost done with E. E. Smith's Triplanetary, the retroactively "first" book in the Lensman series.
It's pretty terribad. If old sci-fi B-movies were books, this is what they'd be.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
in short: has anyone read and can recommend Kami Garcia's Beautiful Creatures?

nevermind. I found a torrent for the series on audiobook and finished Beautiful Creatures sometime late last night/ early this morning. It didn't suck but I'm not sure it would be something I recommend reading. So, yeah: didn't suck, doubtful I would suggest it to anyone, but good enough that I'm considering moving on to the next book in the series (you know, since I have it downloaded anyway, nothing else to do at the moment, and have issues not finishing stories... even when I don't particularly enjoy it).

Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my mom is looking for good books but her taste is VASTLY different than mine so I'm kinda ass at giving her recommendations. She recently read Forgotten Garden by Kate Morgan and loved it, she also said she likes stuff set in the 20's, 30's, and 40's a lot and that she likes realistic stories (this is the big sticker, almost everything I read is either sci-fi or fantasty). She doesn't need a happy ending, but she doesn't mind them either.

I figured... couldn't hurt to ask if anyone has any recommendations? I'd appreciate it!
Desire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help. I am a SF&F fan myself. And I have loved Jane Austen for many, many years.

My suggestion would be for her to look for used Literature books at a nearby College Bookstore. Especially Anthologies. You are bound to find a few new authors you may like that way. Then you can look for their books. I am sure there are Lit classes that focus on stories from that time period even. Find out what authors and textbooks they are using. Though, regular bookstores and libraries may also carry collections too. There are some authors I never would have read if I hadn't read a story of two of theirs in a collection and then wanted to read more of their works.
Snorri

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
So my mom is looking for good books but her taste is VASTLY different than mine so I'm kinda ass at giving her recommendations. She recently read Forgotten Garden by Kate Morgan and loved it, she also said she likes stuff set in the 20's, 30's, and 40's a lot

Buy everything from Wodehouse. Everything.

mouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and dorothy l. sayers.

man, i have been doing so little reading lately, it's just pathetic. i have absolutely no idea where to start.

but i really like dorothy l. sayers.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
I wish I could help. I am a SF&F fan myself. And I have loved Jane Austen for many, many years.
My suggestion would be for her to look for used Literature books at a nearby College Bookstore. Especially Anthologies. You are bound to find a few new authors you may like that way. Then you can look for their books. I am sure there are Lit classes that focus on stories from that time period even. Find out what authors and textbooks they are using. Though, regular bookstores and libraries may also carry collections too. There are some authors I never would have read if I hadn't read a story of two of theirs in a collection and then wanted to read more of their works.

I have a ridiculous collection of so called "classic literature". For some reason I just love reading them even though everyone around me thinks they're dull and boring. Right now I'm looking for a book that is more of an escape rather than intellectually stimulating.
Thanks for the suggestion, though, I am a big classics fan (except for Thomas Hardy. I hate you Harding, you suck! I'm still not sure why I read four of your novels but they were dry as fuck and I don't keep them on my bookcase anymore, so HA!

Sorry about the little rant there but I really dislike his weirting, and by extension, him. You said you were into sci-fi, any recommendations of a good book/ series I can escape into?

Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finn - Leviathan Wakes. It is AMAZING.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the things I would recommend are heavy into terrible. Most of what I remember the fondest is all tinged with nostalgia... upon re-reading it I have to really wonder how low my teenage standards were (hint: very very low.) Also I'm terrible and I don't read much new stuff lately.

Well, there is the Death Gate Cycle... a series of 7 books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman that I still love, so that's worth mentioning I guess.

Anyway, thank you everyone who made suggestions! I'll definitely pass them along to mom next time we chat. <3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 232, 233, 234 ... 243, 244, 245  Next
Page 233 of 245

Jump to: