welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ought Comedians Tell Rape jokes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

There are some lines Comedians ought not cross.
Of course.
43%
 43%  [ 19 ]
No, nothing is sacred.
56%
 56%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 44

Author Message
Snorri



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 10878
Location: hiding the decline.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Ok, CIS means straight right?

This is a serious question. Or do straight people just get +0 and aren't on the scale.


CIS means your biological gender matches up with your self-identification of gender. It's not about your orientation.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10566
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Arc Tempest wrote:

Also: please don't necro shitty threads to make shitty posts.


To be fair, it wasn't mikewee. it was that other guy.

Actually it was him, the other guy posted on 07 August 2012.

Also, that whole little test is highly flawed.

And lastly, Mikewee777 is still an idiot and wrong and apparently closed minded and willfully ignorant.

Or a troll.

In which case, whatever, enjoy the snack, choke on it and die.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Finnegan



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 1080
Location: in that cool mountain air, on an appalachian trail

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, -120 (-135 if I add the saturday night points), that's not even on the scale. Oddly, I feel overly privileged when I compare myself to others.
_________________
Formerly Green_Finn

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10566
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call shenanigans on the whole thing. I'm anywhere from -115 to -35, I'm not sure how I should rate some of these. Like for race: do I pick Latino? White? Black? There's no multi-racial category. Also, the attractive scale doesn't make sense either. I know that there's definitely people who find me attractive while there are also others who wouldn't give me the time of day. Overall, it seems like some /b/ bs.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mikewee777



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 529
Location: 0_0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This chart is not mine and I don't take it seriously. That's why I was being sarcastic and rude about the plight of the wealthy elite of Dubai and Saudi Arabia.

I don't really feel motivated enough to create a superior info-graphic chart on something I don't believe in because I ran into information overload and a ethical paradox when I tried to add a category to every part of the body that could be missing [or filled with tattoo thread and steel rings] but still keep the human alive. Then I had to debate on the ethics of someone who is missing limbs against their will or missing limbs because they wanted them gone due to their personal insanity [Matthew 5:30]. Then there's the debate on the true intentions of agenda 21. Either way, it's pointless if we all turn out to be brains in a jar.
So I didn't add any numbers to this chart. Do it yourself.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/check-your-privilege


    Once again, I apologize. I've blundered into the problematic
    territory of honor shaming, thus opening the floodgates to the
    myriad ways one may be disadvantaged upon by it's
    staggering shame radius. I forgot to check my piety privilege,
    and here we are. I was going to cover the topic in a much
    later chapter of my lecture but we've gotten badly derailed
    here.


    Privilege score of a classy human:
    [People love their nationally approved ritual cults +Add points]
    [People hate atheists -Subtract points]

    Approved traditional ritual cultist
    Agnostic Superstitious
    Secular

    Pretty/healthy.
    Painted/drugged.
    Hideous/severe illness.

    Sheltered and clean.
    Parents provide shelter.
    Un-sheltered and dirty.

    Local resident that can vote.
    Second class prisoner/soldier.
    Alien terrorist.

    Reveals a true desire to breed.
    Reveals no desire to breed.
    Silent on desired choice.

    Add your nation's carbon print divided by your own.
    [http://www.bestfootforward.com/resources/ecological-footpri

    nt/]
    [http://www.nature.org/greenliving/carboncalculator/index.

    htm]
    [http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/gr

    eendex/calculator/]
    [http://footprint.wwf.org.uk/questionnaires/show/1/3/16]

    Subtract by your Body-Mass-Index score.
    [http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi

    /english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.html]

    If disabled were you:
    Born disabled [Subtract for each part]?
    Intentionally trying to be disabled [Subtract *2 for each part]?
    Intentionally trying to be poisoned by banned substances [- all

    parts]?

Just now, I realized that everything in these charts is painfully outdated and the positive and negative scores change according to region.
Let's just assume that anyone who talks about privilege is a stupid racist cunt that hasn't gotten laid because of how annoying they are.

[img]http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/photoshop/9/7/5/166975.jpg?v=1[/img]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10566
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikewee777 wrote:
Let's just assume that anyone who talks about privilege is a stupid racist cunt that hasn't gotten laid because of how annoying they are.

The irony: it doth overfloweth Rolling Eyes
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr Gary



Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 6259
Location: Some pub in England

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to believe that my painfully massive penis is the reason for my current drought (6 weeks yo!) and not my privilege. Though I am a bit cunty about the whole thing.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6080
Location: California

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so i took that test as if i were an other-raced (?) gay intersex genderqueer trans black middle eastern jewish homeless institutionalized disfigured blind paralyzed retarded scientist dodger (??) who can't add and i got -3210

then i took the test as a tall white male cisstraight European attractive, able-bodied Jewish investment banker plutocrat and got 1220 so WOO HIGH SCORE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mikewee777



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Posts: 529
Location: 0_0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Mikewee777 wrote:
Let's just assume that anyone who talks about privilege is a stupid racist cunt that hasn't gotten laid because of how annoying they are.

The irony: it doth overfloweth :roll:


I know I am talking badly about myself. I seem to do that often.

Also I am envious of the girth of "Mr Gary". In fact, I can't ignore it.

I'm totally not gay. I'm just fabulously delusional.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lasairfiona



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9702
Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait wait, I thought Gary was getting laid regularly??
_________________
Before God created Las he pondered on all the aspects a woman might have, he considered which ones would look good super-inflated and which ones to leave alone.
After much deliberation he gave her a giant comfort zone. - Michael
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darqcyde



Joined: 11 Jul 2006
Posts: 10566
Location: A false vacuum abiding in ignorance.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, it's almost too easy to be snarky with that kind of setup.
_________________
...if a single leaf holds the eye, it will be as if the remaining leaves were not there.
http://about.me/omardrake
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dennis J. Squidbunny



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3750
Location: AUSTRALIA YOU FAKIR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNGH Darqcyde don't you have your own children to be an embarrassing dad too? Why do you have to come here and be our embarrassing dad as well?
_________________
"Eight hundred pounds of nitro, his boots are thunder as he plays."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Monkey Mcdermott



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 3316

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop hate flirting with darq Dennis.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
trustedfaith



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3366
Location: My own little world...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did get a chance to comment on this. Although it's way too late and belated; I wanted to give my two cents anyway.

I don't think that anything is off limits to comedians. If they can make it funny then they've the right to use it for material. I mean, that's the point of stand-up comedy anyway... to find humor in life, to laugh at ourselves, to find a way to joke about it. Laughing is a great way of healing.

Also, if you don't care for a particular comedian's comedy then don't watch their shows or go out and see them. It's your choice and you've the option of turning the channel or watching another comedian instead.

This original idea behind this thread was because of the Daniel Tosh rape joke. Let's be realistic here. Daniel Tosh is a very well known stand-up comedian that not only tours the country doing stand-up but also has Comedy Central stand-up specials. On top of this he also has a weekly show called Tosh.O. I don't believe anyone who says that they went to a show of his and had no idea who he was or what type of humor he has. Besides the three reasons I just gave, there's this thing called the Internet that you can use to look him up before you see his show. Or if you're really in a bind, asking other people attending the show is an option too.

Try and keep in mind that none of us were there and there was no recording of what happened. In fact, the story got into the news because a friend of the girl wrote something in her blog about it. And since then, other people (besides Tosh) from the comedy club have come out and said that the account of what happened on that blog is wrong. So I already don't believe what the blog says about what happened. We're not getting it direct from the woman supposedly affected and other people are disagreeing with the story.

Not to mention that you are fair game to any comedian once you heckle them at their shows. It is so unbelievably rude to talk, shout, or yell out to them while they are performing. This is also common knowledge. If you decide that you want to do this -- you deserve anything and everything that comedian says to you. You are interupting a performance and you wouldn't dare think to do this at a broadway show. A comedy show is no different. You are being disrespectful not only to the comedian but to everyone around you that paid for that show.

Lastly, it's not up to the comedian to tailor their show to your needs. It's up to you to determine what type of comedy you find funny. The performer doesn't need to filter their performance for you -- you decide what performance you want or don't want to see. You are not their responsibility. You are your own responsibility.

It's laziness if you are easily offended and don't find out beforehand what kind of comedy a comedian does and then cry foul at their show when their comedy offends you.

That scenario really makes me think of this e-card meme:



There's no reason why any comedian needs to censor themselves for your sensitivity. Comedy will always be subjective anyway. What you find funny might not be funny to the person next to you.

Some of the best comedians are the best because of their ability to push the envelope and make great jokes from some of the most tragic things. That doesn't mean that because they've made a joke that they're taking away any importance of it -- they're just using comedy and laughter as a way to get through it. And personally I think that's a very effective way to do that.

Ok I'm done. Sorry for the really late contribution. <3
_________________
I'm doing the twitter thing; you should stalk/follow me: http://twitter.com/sillygurlroo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bitflipper



Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Posts: 728
Location: Here and Now

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As could only be expected, several people have brought up freedom of speech, so I'm going to drudge up this vague memory of a quote I have from way back (assistance in finding the quote's original speaker/author would be appreciated.)

"Freedom of Speech works like this: like Voltaire, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. You need never worry about the Man hauling you away for speaking forbidden words or concepts, so long as I and others of like mind are vigilant.

"I do not guard your Freedom of Speech from any humanitarian motive, but, rather, from a quite selfish one.

"For, in defending your right to say whatever you will, I also protect my right to mock you mercilessly for saying such silly things!"
_________________
I am only a somewhat arbitrary sequence of raised and lowered voltages to which your mind insists upon assigning meaning
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group