Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-02-17: Angel Hoodie 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joandark wrote:

That's like asking "why don't the police stop criminals before they commit crimes?" Cause they have to commit the crime to be considered criminals. Bullies have to physically bully to warrant a violent response. The reasonable response to teasing is not to lash out at the teaser.

Not quite, as you're referencing something much more broad. If we're talking about the same situation(or situations with the same immediacy), the police can totally make the people leave before stuff gets out of control.

Similarly, Pebbles could totally have stepped between them. I didn't say she had get violent.
Zot the Wise wrote:

These things tend to happen very quickly. What's more, sometimes the sheer audacity of a persons actions can be such a shock that it can leave you stunned. It can happen to anyone. Out of nowhere a violent event will occur and we just stare in surprise for a moment thinking "What the...!?" before reacting.

I agree, but Pebbles seems aware that these guys are up to no good. I think she could have reacted by the time the guy rips Lil'E's wing off, although maybe she really didn't expect them to get physical.

That said, I didn't really intend a serious discussion on it. I understand that people react differently in these circumstances. I just remembered real life situations I've been in/seen others in, and people often respond way faster than Pebbles did. It caused a 4 a.m. kneejerk response from me.

Last edited by lol on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Raal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last five panels made me teary-eyed :'c
just look how heartbreakingly adorable he looks in the first of them.
SomeGuy411

Location: Lost somewhere in space/time, as far as I can tell. Last known location: Canada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it with those bullies and beating up the weaker friends of devil girls?
http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4247
You would think this would still be remembered. And after Big D deals with them...well, my imagination fails me at what punishment he COULD mete out for attacking his son, if he doesn't think pebbles did enough that he doesn't have to tip his hand.
Have a pleasant day
Shadow Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand this trope.

Why is it that there is NEVER a bully or group of bullies who are actually strong enough to do whatever they want and get away with it, because anyone who tries to punish them for it gets beaten up too?
John in Tronna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Master wrote:

Why is it that there is NEVER a bully or group of bullies who are actually strong enough to do whatever they want and get away with it, because anyone who tries to punish them for it gets beaten up too?

Maybe because so few people actually like to see the bullies triumph.

I know when I read, I prefer the "happy ending". If I want to see instead where bullies, or evil greedy SOBs, or sociopathic poers-that-be, triumph -- well, I'll watch the news. There's enough of that shite out in the world that I'll gladly look at a comic where the baddies at least from time to time get their comeuppance.

BTW: why do you want to see the bullies get away with it?
bitflipper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John in Tronna wrote:

Speaking for myself: because it took me too damned long to realize that life isn't fair, thanks to the Disney world of "happily ever after" I was immersed in as a child. I'm still a little bitter about it, actually.

It's not that I'm in favor of the bullies, not at all. It's that I get sick of being constantly fed this syrup of an idea that there is something out there called "justice" and that it's any more real than my most fevered dreams.

Life truly isn't fair. In fact, it is utterly incapable of being fair. And the supreme irony of it is that none of us are going to get out of it alive!

It's taken me far too long to learn how to laugh at that fact, because I kept whining for a pipe-dream called "justice."
redshirt26

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many word-less Sunday strips has this been in a row? All of them have been very effective.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
John in Tronna wrote:

Speaking for myself: because it took me too damned long to realize that life isn't fair, thanks to the Disney world of "happily ever after" I was immersed in as a child. I'm still a little bitter about it, actually.

It's not that I'm in favor of the bullies, not at all. It's that I get sick of being constantly fed this syrup of an idea that there is something out there called "justice" and that it's any more real than my most fevered dreams.

Life truly isn't fair. In fact, it is utterly incapable of being fair. And the supreme irony of it is that none of us are going to get out of it alive!

It's taken me far too long to learn how to laugh at that fact, because I kept whining for a pipe-dream called "justice."

Oh, I don't know. Sure, of course life isn't fair. But I've never regretted speaking out or defending someone weaker (in real life of course, not white knighting on the interwebs), even if I lost or was made fun of. The choices you make matter. That person will remember that someone stood up for them, and that there is good in the world.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I don't dispute that there is good in this world, nor even that it is rewarding to do good. I dispute that there is any justice beyond what we can make for ourselves. Nature--where "might makes right"--is not just; justice is only a figment of our imaginations. An important one--we'll fight and die for it. But that doesn't make it any more real; it's only an idea, not a physical principle.

I wonder, even, if there is balance? I hope there is, but, I must confess, it's only an article of faith for me. I can't say I have definitive proof that such a thing exists any more so than justice.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SudokuX wrote:
Am I the only one who thought about sephiroth after seeing the last panel?

NO
Leohan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Master wrote:

Let me kinda rephrase you for a moment.

"Why is it that the overlord NEVER takes over the World or Universe? He is always this close and then some punk appears and takes them down in the last stage of their plans. Can't there be an overlord competent enough to finish what he starts?"

The answer is no, because, while Luke Skywalker by no means is nearly competent enough to throw down Darth Vader, not having him do so would disrupt the narrative and what we hope will happen. Same with bullies. In storytelling you introduce them when you want there to be someone that's immediately detested. Having them win alienates audiences.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well you might like this one ongoing work where the bullies frequently get away with bullying people

it's called "reality"
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
well you might like this one ongoing work where the bullies frequently get away with bullying people

it's called "reality"

You could also call it the "Bible" [Are you sure that's reality?].
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/inj/long.html

I started a list about how people were getting their identity stolen, getting swallowed by the earth randomly, pinned to boards, salted and other nonsense but then I forgot that someone listed 1500 of 3000 injustices in the bible. Just pick and choose your favorites and pretend that the contradictions didn't happen. Then you'll be just like every other in-compassionate fundamentalist war-hawk. Nonsense be praised! @_@
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikewee777 wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

it's called "reality"

You could also call it the "Bible" [Are you sure that's reality?].
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/inj/long.html

I started a list about how people were getting their identity stolen, getting swallowed by the earth randomly, pinned to boards, salted and other nonsense but then I forgot that someone listed 1500 of 3000 injustices in the bible. Just pick and choose your favorites and pretend that the contradictions didn't happen. Then you'll be just like every other in-compassionate fundamentalist war-hawk. Nonsense be praised! @_@

...Is it me or are you preaching atheism?
bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Mikewee777 wrote:
Nonsense be praised! @_@

...Is it me or are you preaching atheism?

Discordianism.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: