Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1155, 1156, 1157 ... 1236, 1237, 1238  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I have no intentions of pirating Windows or using Linux.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It skeeves me out for those two things to be said in the same sentence.
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I dunno why anyone would pirate Windows, though. The only thing I use that needs Windows is paint tool SAI and I like MyPaint just as well anyways. And it sounds strange, but I think certain linux distros are more user-friendly than Windows nowadays, too.

For instance, I have a relative who occasionally requires help with even simple tasks such as sending email, and he has an easier time with things on Ubuntu.

Pretty much the only scenario I would ever use Windows in would be working for a corporation that required Microsoft crap, and that definitely precludes pirating it. This is closely related to the only situation in which I would use OS X, which would be to develop for iOS - which also happens to be the only reason I would ever use an iPhone...

In summary, even after spending however long thinking about it as it took to write this post, I still don't understand why anyone would try to pirate Windows, especially since whatever money saved is probably nullified by the effort involved in getting a functional installation free of malware.

Besides the obvious games compatibility?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play computer games.

also I keep getting bombarded with the fact that Steam is now on linux even though I don't particularly care
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

Anyways I hear Steam is on linux now so that's become a moot point.

with around 50-80 compatible (mostly indie games) it hasn't, and it won't be comparable for a long while before linux is even remotely close. Hey, I like Ubunutu and have used it for years, but it simply isnt't the same if you like to do something like gaming or high quality video-editing in premiere pro or final cut.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

Why?
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mac and a PC. I've built computers (depending on how you decide, it's either a couple of computers or five or six inhabiting the same two cases). And I don't really have any intention of using Linux, because despite any benefits, I just don't have the time or interest to learn a third OS and the benefits at this point in my life are practically nil. I know how to do everything I want to do in the two OS's I use, and re-learning simple stuff like installing a printer or setting up a network (which probably takes 10 minutes, for both) just isn't worth the time investment.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Moustache wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

also I keep getting bombarded with the fact that Steam is now on linux even though I don't particularly care

with around 50-80 compatible (mostly indie games) it hasn't, and it won't be comparable for a long while before linux is even remotely close. Hey, I like Ubunutu and have used it for years, but it simply isnt't the same if you like to do something like gaming or high quality video-editing in premiere pro or final cut.

The point of that post wasn't "oh hey it actually is compatible, neeener neener," it was "I don't play computer games"

There actually is one thing and one thing only that I would willingly, albeit begrudgingly, install Windows for for personal use, and that's to use Adobe software. Adobe won't port to linux because even though a decent portion of their users would appreciate it those users end up buying their software anyways; they just have to buy Windows first.

kch, I can't wait for Microsoft to die. They're already going downhill. It's just a matter of time, now.

Dogen wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

Why?

feels too much like equating the two
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish for a world where all OSs can live in peace and harmony together.

Except for Macintosh.

Fo' reals though, Linux does a lot of stuff better than Windows, but Windows is better for gaming and some proprietary applications. I dual boot Win7 and Linux Mint, and have a couple live CDs with SliTaz and BackTrack for emergencies.

Up until 2010 I was still using a Windows 3.1 computer though, so I might just be insane.

EDIT: Windows is certainly going downhill however.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft actually does provide an important service. They give corporations someone big to yell at when stuff goes wrong with their software. This doesn't actually help anything, but corporations like to have someone big to yell at.

I'm pretty sure this is the only reason their sinking ship is still able to stay afloat in the market. Most of their revenue comes from the corporate side of things. You can contrast this with Apple, which mostly targets the consumer market by making shiny new toys, which is something that Microsoft would like to do, too, but consistently fails at.

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess for gaming n' stuff on Linux you could take a look at Wine. Does a decent job as far as compatibility goes but games that update frequently seem to cause issues.

Hey HR this might be a stupid question but have you tried running your art programs through Wine?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Up until 2010 I was still using a Windows 3.1 computer though, so I might just be insane.

You just really loved a maximum partition size of 512mb? The max of 256mb of RAM?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I use WINE to run is IrfanView when I need to flip through a few thousand images. Because I like IrfanView, and the people who develop it officially endorse that as the way to run it.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
You just really loved a maximum partition size of 512mb? The max of 256mb of RAM?

I'll say the thing I miss most was 3.5" floppies. Those things were just so satisfying to use. The weight, the loud ka-chunk sound as it was locked into the drive... USBs and DVDs aren't nearly as satisfying.

Also, I miss when people made computer advertisements like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1IqqlW1U4k

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:

Hey HR this might be a stupid question but have you tried running your art programs through Wine?

oh, right:

me, elsewhere, wrote:

I can get SAI working under WINE pretty easily, but not with pressure sensitivity.

anyway it's not like SAI is some "killer app" that I just gotta have
no
it's an app that I like approximately as well as several other apps

aaa beee booo bah doo-dah dah
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1155, 1156, 1157 ... 1236, 1237, 1238  Next
Page 1156 of 1238

Jump to: