welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-02-20: Bring Back Old 'Nique
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:

I really think the whole feminism thing was more something added then something lost. As for changes in characterization, most of the changes from earliest comics were quite gradual. The comic has hardly changed overnight.

You win this thread.

It's crazy that people get so caught up on the stuff they want to see. Yeah, we may get more feminism strips one week, but Sinfest still follows other storylines. I mean seriously we JUST had a Pebbles comic unrelated to feminism. Seymour showed up recently. There was the strip about Monique and Slick's friendship. Slick interacted with Tat. Feminism is clearly a theme now, but it really isn't the sole theme people make it out to be.

It feels like butthurt mansplainers trying to disguise their butthurt as literary criticism. "Waaah, he strayed from form" seems to translate to "Waah, he called out sexism as an institution and now I feel uncomfortable. I'll complain about the story lacking subtlety so I won't look sexist.....even though Sinfest was never subtle."

Last edited by lol on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Reader1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

random question, have buddha and glossy ever met? (hopefully ms m is lurking)
Reader1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these two seem very similar

relevant:
Leohan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:
I really think the whole feminism thing was more something added then something lost. As for changes in characterization, most of the changes from earliest comics were quite gradual. The comic has hardly changed overnight.

I agree, mostly. The feminism thing hardly happened overnight and yeah other things are still going on.

I still do maintain that 'Nique, in particular, has gone a bit one-dimensional, though. But that attitude can hardly be said to have started with the feminism plotline (At this point I kinda hesitate to call it a plotline or an arc, though... Era?) so I'd say that even so feminism can't be fully "blamed" for the changes in Sinfest.
Arkhron

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they havent. It would be amazing... Would Buddah zenboost her? Would Xanthe awake him to Patriarchy? That would mean a less mellow Buddah? Or a more relaxed X? Who would break the other character?

Could Mr. Tatsuya find a way to mix them without break anything?

and, at last...

Why I always do so many questions?
fanboy2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reader1 wrote:
what i'm hoping the next comic looks like (forgive the rough look, i'm working w/ ms paint)

What happena my handle? wrote:
:Sigh:

We've been assuming that Tat is a cranky feminist who despises his old work and is trying to alienate his old fans, but really he's just having trouble coming up with ideas.

agreed

Oh Yes!! I see this as an amazing alternate decoding solution as well!! Maybe the decoder could be reprogrammed by Reader 1 to take a more sympathetic view of the speaker? Smile
Smooshie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least we've gotten to the bottom of the issue here... sort of: poor guy really is lost and lonely and apparently terribly needy. Poor 'Nique, too.

I love you.
Reader1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... it would be fun if they switched glasses
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reader1 wrote:
random question, have buddha and glossy ever met? (hopefully ms m is lurking)

They have not.

They should, though. Because Buddha is cool.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This strip reminds me of #1 in this article: http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-truths-that-will-make-you-better-person/

Yes, people are right in saying that Slick only cares about his needs. But that's the only reason we interact with people outside of our immediate family. When we help people, it's because we benefit from it in some way, even if it's the satisfaction and joy from helping someone.

So I don't blame Slick for being upset that Monique has changed in a way that widens the once close and comfortable bond between them. Is it her fault? Of course not; she has never been shown to be cruel to Slick.

But whatever the reason for it is, they no longer meet each other's needs, and thus have drifted apart. And that's really sad.
Smooshie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:
When we help people, it's because we benefit from it in some way, even if it's the satisfaction and joy from helping someone.

So, is there no such thing as altruism?

Quote:

So I don't blame Slick for being upset that Monique has changed in a way that widens the once close and comfortable bond between them. Is it her fault? Of course not; she has never been shown to be cruel to Slick.

But whatever the reason for it is, they no longer meet each other's needs, and thus have drifted apart. And that's really sad.

Sad

I love you.
Reader1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkhron wrote:
No, they havent. It would be amazing... Would Buddah zenboost her? Would Xanthe awake him to Patriarchy? That would mean a less mellow Buddah? Or a more relaxed X? Who would break the other character?

Could Mr. Tatsuya find a way to mix them without break anything?

and, at last...

Why I always do so many questions?

buddha needs to stay primarily an ideal: god, devil, jesus, dragon. glossy on the other hand is working her way toward becoming a more fleshed out character so i would say if either were to change it would be her. if she mellowed out a bit it would also give tat an extension on the whole "revolution" thing. not sure what he's up to with that but i don't think he's ready yet

Last edited by Reader1 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Reader1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooshie wrote:
diagram12345 wrote:
When we help people, it's because we benefit from it in some way, even if it's the satisfaction and joy from helping someone.

Quote:

Sad

while true, that's sort of a glass half empty viewpoint. "benefit from it in some way" in particular is rather gloomy. said another way humans don't do anything without a reason, some feedback that makes us happy or decides that whatever we are thinking of doing is worth doing.

from the looks of it tat feels the same way and there will be some sort of closure with this, right now i'm leaning towards them getting closer again. how long that will take is something only time will tell
Leohan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooshie wrote:
diagram12345 wrote:

Interesting topic! Count me in!

In my opinion? No. Altruism is not a thing. Every action that any living being ever attempts is because said living is expecting a result that will prove beneficial to their environment. This can be the immediate environment (I have to work because I will receive my pay and I'll be able to buy an I-Phone) a more distant environment (I have to recycle because if I don't then any moment now the whole World will be a dumpster) or any layer in between. That does include helping other people. You do it because you will feel better with yourself doing it, because you want those people to think better of you, because you want to tell someone else at some point and want that other person to think better of you or, in some cases, because you expect repayment from either an afterlife or karma.

Of course this is absolutely oversimplified, but that's my general perspective. Not a human thing either. Every single living being lives this way, unless perhaps you are mentally ill and your actions have no expected reaction at all.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is no one talking about how cute Minique looks in those glasses? Shame on you all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: