welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-02-23: Good-bye
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: 2013-02-23: Good-bye Reply with quote

Hmm . . . One would almost think that this is a message of some sort . . . I wonder who it's directed towards Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Random Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, if you really think something has gotten too boring to keep watching/reading, you don't make a big fuss about it, you just yawn and change the channel/walk out/take a nap/load up a different webpage. Yelling about how you're going to storm out means you're still invested. If you're really tired of it then you just won't care, and you won't even go to the page in the first place.
The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never understand the drama addicts need to advertise their exit. It's like they don't realize everyone else is thinking "STFU and GTFO."
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Peanut Gallery wrote:
I will never understand the drama addicts need to advertise their exit. It's like they don't realize everyone else is thinking "STFU and GTFO."

And that's exactly why the joke in this strip works.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vancore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you say goodbye I say hello.

hello, hello?
KDX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this strip was in reference to someone making a stormy exit earlier. However, if people say they don't like what you're doing and are threatening to leave, it's not wise to make fun of them.

A lot of people threaten because they are invested and they don't want to leave. If there's a change, there's room for an "I always had faith," "glad they listened to the fans," or just plain "mea culpa."

But the moment you start making fun of the people who care enough about your material to voice their opinion on it, make fun of them for actually giving a damn, that's just wrong.

Either they stick around out of spite and continuously detract from your work and eventually that does have an effect on readership, or they decide they have to back of their threat, and actually leave. That definitely has a direct impact on your readership.

Just to dispel any impending criticism, I myself am on the fence, and have made my position on the current direction/content of Sinfest known. Even if Tat wants to change direction he's going to do it over time, and with a reasonable level of story telling. I plan to give him that time. I hope others do too.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he's saying there are some fans that are worth losing.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Wanderer wrote:
In my experience, if you really think something has gotten too boring to keep watching/reading, you don't make a big fuss about it, you just yawn and change the channel/walk out/take a nap/load up a different webpage. Yelling about how you're going to storm out means you're still invested. If you're really tired of it then you just won't care, and you won't even go to the page in the first place.

This. This so much. I work at an online gaming company that has any number of people complaining about the games and how they're dying, and yet those people continue to be those who play the longest and spend the most.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDX wrote:
Not sure if this strip was in reference to someone making a stormy exit earlier. However, if people say they don't like what you're doing and are threatening to leave, it's not wise to make fun of them.

A lot of people threaten because they are invested and they don't want to leave. If there's a change, there's room for an "I always had faith," "glad they listened to the fans," or just plain "mea culpa."

But the moment you start making fun of the people who care enough about your material to voice their opinion on it, make fun of them for actually giving a damn, that's just wrong.

Either they stick around out of spite and continuously detract from your work and eventually that does have an effect on readership, or they decide they have to back of their threat, and actually leave. That definitely has a direct impact on your readership.

Just to dispel any impending criticism, I myself am on the fence, and have made my position on the current direction/content of Sinfest known. Even if Tat wants to change direction he's going to do it over time, and with a reasonable level of story telling. I plan to give him that time. I hope others do too.

It's also likely that content that drives some people away will attract new fans, maybe even more than the number that left.
What happena my handle?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us really loved Sinfest when it was young and rowdy, and got in the habit of reading it a long time ago.

Now I check in out of habit. Sometimes it's boring, sometimes it's cool. Today felt like a personal slap, because I actually was a drama queen on the forum a while back. Once in a while it seems like Tat is trying to drive me away.

I think somehow that keeps some people coming back out of anger and spite, and Tat may know this.

There are comics I have quit. Somehow I'm still with this one. At least Tat isn't trying to stick a thumb in my eye every freaking day.

Whatever, Tat. I'll keep burning up your bandwidth on a daily basis, and you'll eventually figure out names for your characters.

Razz

Seriously, though, at this point it seems like "changed 'Nique" isn't a changed premise, but a premise. Other than using her butt powers a few years back, 'Nique has pretty much been who she is now from very early on. She did used to be raunchier though.

Last edited by What happena my handle? on Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Ronald

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's too bad Tat doesn't actually go to the trouble of showing us 'Nique's latest controversial works. That's another thing about Classic 'Nique, we got to see her performances instead of just the audience's reactions. Oh well.

"Everyone's packin' --
So I'll pack my nickel bag --
Gonna get my peace on
And offer yas a drag.
Thank you."
Smooshie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they care. There's a certain amount of validation being sought out when making provocative statements like "I'm done with you!" and "Good bye!". If you get angry, you're proving them right.

This strip is wonderful. Very Happy

I love you.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDX wrote:

Perhaps, but it is also perfectly in keeping with how Tat has handled Sinfest since its inception well over a decade ago Note that Sinfest has never been a syndicated strip; Tat seems to prefer artistic freedom to contractual security. Note that there is not a Donate button anywhere on the site; Tat does not ask us to pay him and he is therefor not beholden to us. Sinfest is Tat's expression, Tat's own thoughts, Tat's own beliefs. He presents it to us to take or to leave as we see fit. We fans, of course, have our favorite characters and favorite story arcs, but Tat is very right to remind us that, particularly with regard to what is freely given, it doesn't take much to cross the line from giving a damn to nagging.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happena my handle? wrote:
Once in a while it seems like Tat is trying to drive me away.

A good rule to follow when reading Sinfest, as well as when participating in the Sinfest forums, is "Know when not to take matters personally."

Tat's the Administrator; if he really didn't want you around, do you actually think you could login to the forums? If you really managed to piss him off, do you think your IP address and MAC address would ever again get a response from this site?

If the comic stings a little, then maybe you need to re-examine what you're doing that leaves you in a position of feeling singled out by the comic, yes?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
What happena my handle? wrote:
Once in a while it seems like Tat is trying to drive me away.

A good rule to follow when reading Sinfest, as well as when participating in the Sinfest forums, is "Know when not to take matters personally."

Tat's the Administrator; if he really didn't want you around, do you actually think you could login to the forums? If you really managed to piss him off, do you think your IP address and MAC address would ever again get a response from this site?

If the comic stings a little, then maybe you need to re-examine what you're doing that leaves you in a position of feeling singled out by the comic, yes?

Tat has banned people. It's a very short list and they were truly horrendous, like the guy who posted pictures aborted fetuses in a thread for people to post pictures of their kids, it was called "the cute baby thread" or something like that. Also he's deleted stuff here and there when people have crossed the line.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: