welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2-25-2013: Dudebro Tears
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smooshie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: 2-25-2013: Dudebro Tears Reply with quote

I consider myself told.

I love you.

Last edited by Smooshie on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like all of my prayers have been answered.

<3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, with all that dust it can't possibly be environmentally friendly

(watch as rothide spins this out into some elaborate theory about how xanthe is the reason for the hole in the ozone layer that obviously exists in sinfestworld because reasons which means everyone has cancer)
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
oh, with all that dust it can't possibly be environmentally friendly

(watch as rothide spins this out into some elaborate theory about how xanthe is the reason for the hole in the ozone layer that obviously exists in sinfestworld because reasons which means everyone has cancer)

No I just think that if Tat hates people sympathizing with Slick he should just kill Slick off and be done with it...

Last edited by Rothide on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Smooshie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that Rothide has made his own topic several minutes after me.
Rothide wrote:
Welp, just kill him off Tat if you hate us sympathizing with him...

Hmm. I don't think he hates us sympathizing with him, but he most certainly either checked the forums or anticipated the response people would have to the previous comics.

That being said, it IS a little mean to be fueled by someone's negative emotions/response to things... not necessarily unwarranted, considering the things I (along with a few other people... unless I was alone, in which case oops/yay I'm sinfest-famous) put forth yesterday.

I love you.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:

Rothide, you're not actually taking this personally, are you? I sincerely doubt Tat hates anyone sympathizing with any of his characters. But, Sinfest's history has shown, he will milk it for all it's worth, and he'll be able to make most of us laugh more than once in the process of doing so. Take a look back at Squig's gambling debt to Li'l E and his subsequent life as a hobo for an example involving another character. (If you want, I'll pull links from the archive to the start and the end of the story arc, but I'm feeling lazy, at the moment, and getting ready to crash for the night, as well.)

I know Slick's dear to your heart, but, seriously, dude, Tat's not torturing him, nor is he particularly taking a jab at you, personally. Try to see the irony; you'll enjoy it more.
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooshie wrote:
It appears that Rothide has made his own topic several minutes after me.
Rothide wrote:

Hmm. I don't think he hates us sympathizing with him, but he most certainly either checked the forums or anticipated the response people would have to the previous comics.

That being said, it IS a little mean to be fueled by someone's negative emotions/response to things... not necessarily unwarranted, considering the things I (along with a few other people... unless I was alone, in which case oops/yay I'm sinfest-famous) put forth yesterday.

I just don't like Mary Sue characters, which Xanthe is... she's the authors pet, always right, never wrong. She's superman without the kryptonite, the only thing that ever happened to her was her bike got stolen, and even that just lead to an upgrade for her. I want a flaw... the character is one dimensional, but everyone else is okay with it because she's fighting for what you guys believe in. She's propaganda.
Smooshie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:

I just don't like Mary Sue characters, which Xanthe is... she's the authors pet, always right, never wrong. She's superman without the kryptonite, the only thing that ever happened to her was her bike got stolen, and even that just lead to an upgrade for her. I want a flaw... the character is one dimensional, but everyone else is okay with it because she's fighting for what you guys believe in. She's propaganda.

Her trike run's on someone's tears. Profiting directly from someone's negative emotions is questionable at best, in my opinion (compared to, say, a charity fundraiser where money is donated based on how long the Westboro Baptist Church protests).
Is that not enough for you?

I love you.
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooshie wrote:
Rothide wrote:

Her trike run's on someone's tears. Profiting directly from someone's negative emotions is questionable at best, in my opinion (compared to, say, a charity fundraiser where money is donated based on how long the Westboro Baptist Church protests).

No cause this is just a callback to when Gaylord first appeared, her bikes runs on "dudebro" tears. So basically Slick is now a "dudebro".
Smooshie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Smooshie wrote:

No cause this is just a callback to when Gaylord first appeared, her bikes runs on "dudebro" tears. So basically Slick is now a "dudebro".

So... Just to be clear, profiting from someone's negative emotions isn't enough for you?

I love you.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
No I just think that if Tat hates people sympathizing with Slick he should just kill Slick off and be done with it...

I don't think he necessarily hates it when you sympathize with him. He's clearly just too lazy to use anyone else as a mouthpiece for these kinds of things, or make anyone new up for them. Even if he did make someone new for it, the new guy would be more of a strawman for sexism than Slick. And, sure, Slick's development is kind of being derailed for the time being, but at least we know there are more facets to him as a character than that! But the new guy would be nothing BUT that! And that wouldn't exactly be the best route, I think.

And even then, even if he DID hate you guys sympathizing with him, then killing him off still wouldn't be the appropriate action here. Because if Slick were dead, then Tat wouldn't be able to make a quick joke about his flaws. Well, he theoretically could but they would be in shit awful taste. And we all know how much Tat loves making a quick joke about Slick, his flaws, inability to recognize or correct said flaws, and his misfortune. That's what makes him both an entertaining and endearing character!

Besides, you don't necessarily have to agree with Slick to sympathize with him. I think his actions can be very wrong, very creepy, inappropriate, and disagree with his views. I might be a feminist, but I do sympathize with him sometimes! Anyways, Tat would never kill him off. Because even though Tat loves making fun of him, he does love him as a character.

Rothide wrote:
I just don't like Mary Sue characters,

I'm going to fucking stop you in your tracks right there.

Seriously.
Don't go there.
Not a good idea.

Rothide wrote:
So basically Slick is now a "dudebro".

He's always been a dudebro, man. Didn't you know?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
She's propaganda.

Protip: Everything is propaganda.
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Seriously.
Don't go there.
Not a good idea.

Was unfamiliar with this concept. Thanks for the links. <3
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright then, she's a female Marty Stu (wouldn't want literary terms to be gender neutral anymore) and considering that the comic is stating that all dudebro's are wrong/ a problem that needs to be fixed/ the enemy, then no, having your " hero" profit from the "enemies" negative emotions isn't enough.

Considering that I'm always called wrong for thinking of a darker reason the sisterhood did something, or worse, crazy, then yeah, permit me to say that I find nothing more Borring than a perfect character.

Last edited by Rothide on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Smooshie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Kitty wrote:
Rothide wrote:
She's propaganda.

Protip: Everything is propaganda.

Even Marx says so.

Rothide wrote:
onsidering that the comic is stating that all dudebro's are wrong/ a problem that needs to be fixed/ the enemy, then no, having your " hero" profit from the "enemies" negative emotions isn't enough.

Xanthe isn't my hero. But thank you for clarifying that you have a personal desire or need for her to be demonized.

I love you.

Last edited by Smooshie on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: