welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ought Comedians Tell Rape jokes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

There are some lines Comedians ought not cross.
Of course.
43%
 43%  [ 19 ]
No, nothing is sacred.
56%
 56%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 44

Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeennh... this doesn't really deserve another page. Snorri and Monkey pretty much covered it. In the US cunt is pretty harsh, but especially in relation to an adorable child. I think the intent was noticeable (that the Oscars is basically one big basket of sour grapes dripping with venom and vitriol), but the execution was heavy-handed.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my first experiences in an Aussie pub was to have a man beckon me over,

"Hey! Are you a gynecologist?"
"I'm sorry?"
"Are you a gynecologist?!"
"What?"
Pointing at his mate, "I was wondering if you could tell me what's wrong with this cunt over here!"

Not quite the same severity of taboo as in the states.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question is how many of you non-youessians use the word directed at a 9 year old girl?

I mean I playfully call my roommate fuckhead all the time, but I wouldn't direct the word at a third grader.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone would think that was a very good idea. But it's still a long way from "shocking". Especially since it wasn't directed at her, but that part of the story is neatly set out in the article.
I dunno, I'd say for something to shock me it would have to have a lot more content (and cruel intent) than just swears.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US is more puritanical, though. We don't allow swearing or nudity on broadcast TV (I don't really follow the subject, but apparently now our FCC can't fine you for doing it, even though the rule is still in place). I don't find it shocking, but that doesn't mean many people here wouldn't.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really find the the word itself shocking. I've heard a hell of a lot worse applied to exam markers, professors, etc.

I do find it a little shocking that someone would use it given the context though. I am well acquainted with The Onion and I realize the kind of humor that they use, but this seems a little off-base for them.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youesian context! I like to swear, I work in the metal working industry (and even though I am a girl, they do swear), and I watch all kinds of unsavory tv.

Cunt is only EVER used in writen erotica and the lesbian community (because they hate the word bitch). Ever. Is is an extremely shocking word to those in the US. Using the word cunt is an indicator of cruel intent in the US.

Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yeah, when I saw the Onion wrote that I thought it was very out of character for them. They don't do bad taste (except when they do bad taste well... and this was not one of those times).
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Youesian context! I like to swear, I work in the metal working industry (and even though I am a girl, they do swear), and I watch all kinds of unsavory tv.

Cunt is only EVER used in writen erotica and the lesbian community (because they hate the word bitch). Ever. Is is an extremely shocking word to those in the US. Using the word cunt is an indicator of cruel intent in the US.

I remember being seventeen and not even having cursory knowledge of modern British society . . . Trainspotting was a wake up call and a half. In particular this very NSFW scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8YT9Zs-NJo

It was like I was hearing expletives come out of a nuns mouth or something, like I had never heard real swearing before that moment in my life. I was like one of the patrons in the lower part of the bar, completely stunned and not really sure what was going on but it was something horrible that I just couldn't peel my eyes away from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:

I was having a conversation one time with some of the black people in my college* class and as it happened someone outside used the word cunt. My teacher got offended obviously that someone would use the word in public, but the people I was talking to didn't understand why. Apparently it's a word they, as a group, weren't familiar with.

Hell, one girl went far enough to say that if used in a sweet voice it could be a nice pet name. I had to laugh because it was absurd, but they were dead serious.

*Only to show the general age range and education level
Pint

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my favorite curse word because it is so offensive. I don't use it often, but whenever I do, I mean to offend.
trustedfaith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys... I would like to respond to those who quoted me, mouse and Sobojo. But I'm at work and I've been busy these last few days. I will tonight tho. Also hi! Smile
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.reddit.com/r/feminisms/comments/1501mk/getting_tired_of_the_big_bang_theory/
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit a reddit thread that isn't-- ohh, r/feminism. That explains it. If it were on the frontpage it would be drowned under a chorus of people saying, "OP is a fag."
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikewee777 wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/feminisms/comments/1501mk/getting_tired_of_the_big_bang_theory/

Sigh . . . this is sad. Sad 'cuz t's true. I love Big Bang Theory, and I'm not going to stop watching it.

But there's good reasons why it is the way it is. IT is not trying to be nice. It's not trying to uphold a moral stand point. It's trying to draw as large an audience as possible thereby producing as much revenue as possible.

First it panders, like a champ. GOP ain't got nothing on it. Secondly, it reflects American attitudes and values. Its cross demographic appeal is unparalleled. If Americans had different attitudes and values, it would be a different show, but they don't, so it's not.

I could go on, but here's it in under 2000 words: Chuck Lorre writes to be successful. The numbers speak for themselves. Also, you can't have a show where the main characters are part of one of the most sexist and closed minded portions of our population and NOT have such mannerisms and behaviors displayed. Wolowitz is sadly very real and how people treat and excuse his behavior is equally so.

Would I sell my moral values and write a sexists, misogynistic work for enough zeroes on the end of a paycheck?
In a heartbeat. And I would call most people liars who say they would do otherwise. Vin Diesel's own father called him an idiot for turning down $25,000,000 to make a XXX sequel on 'artistic principals' (Diesel wanted to focus on directing, his true passion, not acting).

Is it right what The Big Bang Theory does?
From a moral prospective, hell no.

But it's not about morals. It's about what's funny, or to be more precise, its about what as many people as possible find funny. Even the way they cut away in the middle of an act and leave so much unresolved only to wrap it up off camera is done masterfully to this end.

On a related note, from my experience as a nerd and hanging out with nerds, the portrayal of nerds on the show is spot on. The portrayal of women? Not so much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: