welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1160, 1161, 1162 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canopus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Anntacular Adventures of Sisyball and Camus Boy
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrophy Annie wrote:
I sort of just want to crawl up into a ball and roll away forever.

I know that feeling all too well. I think I'm supposed to offer you some positive, constructive advice about sticking with it, about how participating and socializing in your life is the best way to find the joy in it again, and maybe something about how these feelings of wanting to leave your life behind you are just fleeting in the grand scale of things... Does that sound about like how these things are supposed to sound? I really hope so. Maybe it'll help to throw them off our track.
Well... that is to say... you were inviting me to curl up into a ball and join you in rolling away from everything forever, right?. At least that's why I hope you posted that post; because, sister, I'm totally game. Just let me know where we're rollin' to... no destination in mind, even better! Hell, we don't even have to meet up to coordinate our rolling beforehand. If you're more comfortable in your solitude, we can be more of a loose conglomerate of individual rollers leaving our lives behind forever and only occasionally communicating with each other (mostly to let the other know when they are coming up upon a stretch of road with lots of potholes or if there is a Denny's off at the next exit that is still offering their early bird special). We could do this together, though, make things a little more formal and/or organized. We could be a group of rolling buddies, just us against society, awkwardly trying to flip off our former life while still getting the hang of rolling as a ball down the side of route 66. somewhere just outside of branson, missouri.

....Just a minute here. This idea of yours involving curling up into a ball and rolling away forever better not have anything to do with all these recent posts regarding bowel moments and laxatives. I will have you know that I'm not "down" with that sort of thing so I'm afraid I am going to be forced to terminate our 'rolling around in ball-shape' agreement. I know you are probably as upset about all this as I am but don't blame me, take your frustration out on your laxative-happy cat lady friends over there. Believe me, I'm upset too, but after what happened to me last time I became involved in something like this where we innocently curled up into shapes it was all fun and games until some no-goodnik brought laxatives into that scene as well. After what happened, well I just can't afford to take another risk. I'm sorry.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat laxative acquired.

Cat appears more distressed about having to eat laxative than anything else. YOU EAT STRING YOU LITTLE FUCK WHY WON'T YOU EAT THIS!?

*headdesk*
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, long distance is just the worst.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiiiinally convinced cat to eat the laxative. I don't think he liked that it was sticky, but he eventually got over it (I waited until he started whining for food, so that probably helped).

Anyway I appreciate people putting up with my bi-annual "fuck my cat ate something it shouldn't" freakout.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canopus wrote:

I need to know what this is referring to. I have an idea, which I hate, so could you please explain this and put my thoughts to ease.

Canopus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Camus' Myth of Sisyphus with a title based on fantastic serials from the 19th century.

It's meant to be lighthearted, if it offended I apologize.
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Myth of Sisyphus is a great book.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Canopus wrote:

I need to know what this is referring to. I have an idea, which I hate, so could you please explain this and put my thoughts to ease.

Did you check wiki?:
Quote:
The Myth of Sisyphus is a philosophical essay by Albert Camus. It comprises about 120 pages and was published originally in 1942 in French as Le Mythe de Sisyphe; the English translation by Justin O'Brien followed in 1955.
In the essay, Camus introduces his philosophy of the absurd: man's futile search for meaning, unity, and clarity in the face of an unintelligible world devoid of God and eternal truths or values. Does the realization of the absurd require suicide? Camus answers: "No. It requires revolt." He then outlines several approaches to the absurd life. The final chapter compares the absurdity of man's life with the situation of Sisyphus, a figure of Greek mythology who was condemned to repeat forever the same meaningless task of pushing a boulder up a mountain, only to see it roll down again. The essay concludes, "The struggle itself [...] is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

My question is to Canopus: was this supposed to be in the horrors thread?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Moustache wrote:
Man, long distance is just the worst.

Be still my sweet prince, be still. We shall be together soon smooshums xxx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not happy with the way this post turned out, I'll rewrite it more again later.

I figured it was referring to Camus and Sisyphus, the groan-inducing use of the names 'Sisyball' and 'Camus Boy' were the reason I feared I was right. I did google the title and found no meaning for the word 'anntacular'. What is its meaning and what does The Anntacular Adventures of Sisyball and Camus Boy make reference to? "A title based on fantastic serials from the 19th century"? Do you mean that The Myth of Sisyphus might have; if published in the 19th century, in serial form, and after the fashions of some of the more creative and fantastical titling schemes of the day, might, in some circumstance, have been published under the title: The Anntacular Adventures of Sisyball and Camus Boy? Because that sentence got so convoluted just reaching that conclusion that if this is not what you meant... then I have no fucking idea what it is supposed to mean.

Trying to say anything about Camus is hard. I rank him very high among the thinkers/writers/philosophers of all of human history for whom I have the utmost regard and hold in the highest esteem. I'm just not in the right mindset to have a discussion like this right now, not on any significant intellectual or philosophical level. Nor am I up for the private, emotional, and deeply personal exposure that I would be opening myself up to were we to have this conversation. Perhaps another time. Perhaps after I've been drinking.

Yorick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrophy Annie wrote:
I sort of just want to crawl up into a ball and roll away forever.

do you need a laxative?
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I warned you about this, annie. everything seems so innocent at first but then the laxative guy shows up. this is exactly how I said it would happen. trust me, I've been there before, IT'S NOT WORTH THE RISK! not again, not again, not again...

Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a new box, so I'm good!
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to warn you. there is nothing more I can do for you here. good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1160, 1161, 1162 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next
Page 1161 of 1254

Jump to: