welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminist Utopia Fantasy Story
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Feminist Utopia Fantasy Story Reply with quote

Xanthe is so eloquent.

Also...we have a last name.
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, her fiction's as flat as her character.

Christians Utopia

Jesus came back.

The end.

Cows Utopia

Moooo

The end.

Rothide's Utopia

The end.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, the majestic sight of a point sailing monumentally over rothide's head

be free, point! be what you want to be! no longer shackled to the earth, no, now you can spread your wings and fly!

they grow up so fast, y'know. i...i almost didn't have a chance to say goodbye
Ricia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the point is that women should be able to walk outside at midnight and not get raped or otherwise assaulted but...utopian literature is kinda boring.
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:

be free, point! be what you want to be! no longer shackled to the earth, no, now you can spread your wings and fly!

Yeah, get it, no risk of rape. How about mugged, mauled by an animal, hit on the road by drunk driver, fall over something in the dark and crack her skull.

Also, nothing is actually stoping her from carrying mace, stun gun, kicking that son of a bastard in the balls, or going out at midnight in the first place.
StateOfBedlam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I buy that this is a mere fantasy without adding "in a 'bad' neighborhood" or something. The implications of the story as it is are pretty absolute (ie. in our world, nearly all women fear/have reason to fear leaving their homes alone to take a walk).

Actually, considering the whole planet and not just the kind of place I'm used to living in, that could be a fair assessment. I don't know. Fine, Xanthe, point made.

EDIT:
Rothide wrote:
Also, nothing is actually stoping her from carrying mace, stun gun, kicking that son of a bastard in the balls, or going out at midnight in the first place.

Traditionally, the response to that statement is something like "So, it's her responsibility to not be attacked/defend herself, not his responsibility to not attack her?"

Last edited by StateOfBedlam on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:36 am; edited 3 times in total
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

Yeah, get it, no risk of rape. How about mugged, mauled by an animal, hit on the road by drunk driver, fall over something in the dark and crack her skull.

and now you go from "missing the point" to "horrible"

in one post too! impressive
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
Rothide wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

and now you go from "missing the point" to "horrible"

in one post too! impressive

How is dealing with the truth horrible? I knew that rape was the main point, but I don't think it's the patriarchy scheme for the other crap to happen that can actually happen. There's wanting to do something and then there's flipping the bird to safety.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and he just gets worse and worse
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StateOfBedlam wrote:
I'm not sure I buy that this is a mere fantasy without adding "in a 'bad' neighborhood" or something. The implications of the story as it is are pretty absolute (ie. in our world, nearly all women fear/have reason to fear leaving their homes alone to take a walk).

Actually, considering the whole planet and not just the kind of place I'm used to living in, that could be a fair assessment. I don't know. Fine, Xanthe, point made.

EDIT:
Rothide wrote:

Traditionally, the response to that statement is something like "So, it's her responsibility to not be attacked/defend herself, not his responsibility to not attack her?"

Yeah, but people who do that sick shit don't take that into account. If he was truly right in the head he'd let her alone. But with the, that part of the morality scale is blue and orange than black and white.
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
and he just gets worse and worse

How about the fiction then? It's basically saying that in the modern age, no man has control over their sexuality to not rape a girl that goes out at midnight.

Or in a less extreame, there is no possible outcome that a girl leaving her home at midnight that will not result in her being raped.

Last edited by Rothide on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, you are saying that.
lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:

Dude. What the flying hell is feminism going to do about bear attacks?

I can see it now. Groups of picket sign wielding women stand in front of the Republican Naitonal Convention, chanting "Bears! Stay out of my uterus!"

Xanthe's story reflects an issue relevant to feminism. You just cited a bunch of random shit that doesn't apply.

Last edited by lol on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:49 am; edited 3 times in total
LadySunami

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:

Yeah it kinda sucks that all these things are a threat to anyone walking the streets at night, but why as a female do I need to worry about rape in addition to all that? Not to mention, for the most part, no one blames the victims of muggings, maulings, and car accidents for "asking for it."
(The exception being people who get mugged walking down dark alleyways in sketchy parts of town. They aren't exactly blamed, but folks are more then willing to call them idiots.)

Rothide wrote:

But why should I need to take a bottle of mace with me every time I leave the house? I'd like to be able to take a walk without having to arm myself first, thanks.
Nevamore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

I think the point here is that she shouldn't have to carry any weapons of defend herself. She should just be able to take a walk without worry.

Utopia is an ideology that isn't necessarily feasible, but something that a certain person of set people think would make the perfect lifestyle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: