welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

World of science: Making junk food addicting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smooshie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, that fell out of the Sunday Times. I read it and I was disgusted, but impressed that we've managed to make food THAT addicting. I was also impressed by the sheer number of people from different fields that corporations employ to conduct studies of junk food of all things.

There must be all sorts of neat little things about our bodies to be learned from this. If these people all seemed to resign themselves to the fact that getting more people to eat junk food is their job (not all of them do, but I'm talking about everyone involved overall), then is the structure moved by the consumers who haven't yet realized that they want a new product?

Consumer economics are fascinating.

I love you.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
I have heard many arguments for vegetarianism that I can respect (not necessarily agree but respect). I have never heard a reason for veganism I can respect.

ANIMAL

CRUUUUUUUUELTYYYYYYYYYYYY
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milk cows n' stuff live terrible lives

of course, that can be minimized
you can buy from sources that you personally know treat their animals right

but even honey is tainted
commercial beekeepers cut off the queen's wings so that she can't swarm, ya know
THEY CUT OFF HER FUCKING WINGS
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
milk cows n' stuff live terrible lives

of course, that can be minimized

but even honey is tainted
commercial beekeepers cut off the queen's wings so that she can't swarm, ya know
THEY CUT OFF HER FUCKING WINGS

Not to mention the incest . . . WITH BEES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Samsally wrote:

I can't imagine having to put that much thought into what I eat though. Having to be gluten-free or vegan or any of those other super strict diets would be a really hard change for me.

I couldn't do it.

I have an ever growing list of things I can not eat. It's frigging hard.

I have to actually stop myself from picking things up by reminding myself what is about to happen if that enters my body.

Basically anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup or Aspartame in it is off the table. There's other stuff I am still narrowing down the exact ingredient. Milk is bad, but not cheese. I can't have ice cream and frozen yoghurt, but I can have regular yoghurt.

the hardest part is not being able to easily explain to people whats a go and whats not. I can't just say "no gluten" I can only say "nothing that hurts me" which is a lot.
Desire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My six-year-old is allergic to soy and annatto. He also can't process milk properly. Well, he doesn't tolerate cow's milk at all, though he can handle small amounts of yogurt, cheese, or ice cream. He definitely has a limit to how much his body can handle though.

His allergies are not deathly, but allergic reactions can become worse over time with each added exposure, so we have to keep on top of it. He seems to have issues with some food related to soy, like lima beans (which give a similar reaction) so we continue to avoid most foods related to soy when we can. So no peanuts especially, as it can be such a serious allergy, we do not want to risk giving them to him before his body can properly handle them. We also avoid tree nuts and shellfish for now since they are high on the list of allergy-causing foods and also some of the more dangerous ones.

It is so hard to avoid soy in foods in the US, unless you eat mostly natural, whole foods (which tend to cost more money, unfortunately). Soy is in like 75% of processed foods. It is in most all baked goods, as well.

Now couple that will a six-year-old's normal picky eating and it becomes a huge challenge! He also has some sensory issues which make his dislike certain foods by taste and smell (more then normal). It is difficult. I am not so upset at it as there are enough studies out there that show that soy is very unhealthy for children to consume, but it does make life more difficult.

The annatto allergy (annatto is a bean used as a natural food coloring in place of yellow/orange dyes in many foods), means that many 'healthier' versions of products that don't have soy, also become off-limits to him. Then the peanut and tree-nut avoidance narrows things even more.

We also live in an area where virtually all food (except for a few types) need to be either flown or shipped in (by ship or ferry), so fresh produce just doesn't exist up here. It is all pretty much old by the time it gets up here. We do have lots of fresh wild salmon and other seafood, but it is pretty expensive.

I don't think I ever really understood what people with food allergies and sensitivities have to go through until all of this, and I can only imagine how it must feel to know a food couple kill you.
I have only just started to realize (the older he gets, the less-likely it becomes he'll out-grow his allergies, at six years, he should have already) that it is really, it HAS to be, less about avoiding certain foods, and more about creating a lifestyle of eating behaviors with him. That we have to do this as a family, or our son never will do it alone. It is hard enough to do alone as an adult, even more so as a kid.

But yeah, it is extremely hard as an adult to try to change your eating habits (and I think it gets harder the older you get) to healthy ones. Which segue-ways back to the article and what will be my most difficult habit to break. Potato chips. Seriously, why do they have to be so ungodly good?! Oh, yeah, they have been designed to be that way.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about all the food issues with the youngin'. Reminds me of my one friend who has a severe corn allergy and can't have anything that has ANY corn or corn products in it, including the ubiquitous corn syrup (and its high fructose cousin).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Desire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining! It is a challenge, but the end result will be that he is and will be a healthier kid. I was just commiserating with you and others who have food allergies and sensitivities. It really is one of those things that many (if not most) people just don't understand unless they or a close family member/friend has them.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

Exactly. So one can say they refuse to support animal cruelty. This makes sense. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that you can't eat meat.

Anyway, this all reminds me that I am pretty happy to be just lactose intolerant.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no food allergies of any kind.
I just really hate some common foods. Onions, fish...
Mr_Moustache

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

Exactly. So one can say they refuse to support animal cruelty. This makes sense. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that you can't eat meat.

Anyway, this all reminds me that I am pretty happy to be just lactose intolerant.

KIlling isnt cruelty?

Imma let you finish,

but the best non-cruelty meat is no meat at all.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can't be "the best _____ meat" if it's not meat.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cows are made of meat whether you eat them or not...
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had red meat in 3 months now. Not for any other reason than the wife doesn't eat it and I would rather cook a big meal then smaller individual meals.

I've decided that, for a time, the only red meat I will eat is venison from my dad or uncle. And chipped beef, because I can't find an acceptable non beef replacement.

Health is also a good reason I suppose.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ground turkey is works good, particularly in things with strong seasoning, like chili, tacos, and sloppy joes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: