welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1086, 1087, 1088 ... 1134, 1135, 1136  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Dro is browsing
- Dro is not posting

EDIT: rats, I scared him off... got to be more subtle next time.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Mr Gary wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
Finnegan wrote:
speaking of dinsky, I haven't seen her around in ages. does she still post here? does anyone keep in touch with her in some other way? is she doing well? everything cool?

She's kinda on fb if I recall, but I'm not too sure how active she is.

I swear I follow her on one of the main social networks but I can't find it now so maybe I am wrong.

Twitter - I follow her on Twitter. She was tweeting in January but hasn't recently. Doesn't seem to be a big deal.

edit: whoo internet stalking. Now I have found her on facebook. She has a recent relationship update so everything seems fine and well.

Dinsky is also 'active' on FB. But quiet about it.

It is - I hope - because she is full of healthy cocks & good beer.

Well, she's got two up on me if that is the case. All I've got if cheap liquor and a testosterone deficiency that has resulted in it being years since I would describe it as "healthy".

I've just noticed that she deleted her sinfest forum account.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Dro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
+ Dro is browsing
- Dro is not posting

EDIT: rats, I scared him off... got to be more subtle next time.

- but I did post!
+ Almost ready to open the virtual doors on a new company.
- The university has now taken 6 months to go through the various agreements needed (license, outside activity permission, conflict of interest) and still need to think about it. So irritating!
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are universities like hospitals? To get anything done at the hospital you go in front of a committee - say the nurse practice council. You tell them what you want to do, explain the costs and benefits, answer questions, etc. Then they take it to a meeting with management. Then management asks you to come talk about the idea. Then they take it to another committee - the linen committee, the blood bank committee, the physician practice committee, etc - and they talk about it... and then a year later you get an email saying, yes, they've decided to allow you to use green pens.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My university's got a hospital attached to it (physically! I can walk there for lunch without going outside).
When my contract got renewed the rfid card that gives me access to the building stopped working. To get it fixed, I had to fill in a form (with, like all forms, _all_ of my personal details including my employee number, which they can use to access their database containing _all_ of my personal details (including my employee number, which they can use to... hold on)) and get it signed by my supervisor.
For some reason this form contains a giant white box that screams SIGNATURE at everyone who signs things on a daily basis, but that you're not allowed to sign in. (Some other person uses it later).
I was warned about this but unable to stop my supervisor in time from signing in it anyway. The guys at the desk were pretty cool about it though: since everybody always erroneously signed in that box, they'd decided that the signature that _was_ meant to go there was only valid if signed in green ink.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
I don't know where to put this so I guess it goes here. And it is probably TMI. Do not google any of this while at work.

Um, in 2011 dinsky posted about something terrible - a problem with a Bartholin's gland. They are in the girl bits and they suck. Well, turns out all those problems I have been having? It is a least a little bit (okay, maybe a lot) the fault of two blocked up Bartholin's glands. I know because I accidentally popped one. So now that side is rather sore and achy but the "knot" is gone. The other side is still firmly intact.

I still don't have a gynecologist appointment until the 19th to get some input on this. Epsom salt baths are supposed to help with this so I am going to take a lot of baths.

i'm so sorry i didn't see this earlier - i used to get those damned things regularly, and they are awful. hot baths, hot compresses, anything like that that will bring it to where it can be drained - this is what you want.

one thing i found - it can be drained by a nurse (lpn or the like). i actually had a lot better luck with nurses treating them then doctors. they are apparently somewhat rare (at least, the doctors, especially the male ones, seemed to be utterly at a loss) - but you see a nurse, and she is like 'oh, we've got to get that drained', and they do it, and it is like instant relief.

i never did figure out what, exactly, was causing them, unfortunately. fortunately they just seem to have stopped.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:

I've just noticed that she deleted her sinfest forum account.

i think she did that once accidentally - hopefully that is what you saw. i would hate to think she is never coming back again! quick, las - tell her to come back again!
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all..I've been absent most of these days. I may or may not owe you the end of my job drama (Part 2 &
part 3)

So few days after I got the information that there is indeed a job opening. The guy I talked to the whole time is one of the company partners but he doesn't deal with the financial stuff, and tells me that I will get contacted by another guy to 'go over details'

YAY!
That was a tuesday

On friday I get a text, from the finance guy asking me when can we talk, I tell him around 5 pm is fine, enough time for me to get home and talk there. It's a bit strange to me it's to be done over the phone, but hey.

I talk with guy for about an hour, we discuss everything. We almost pick where I will be sitting, and what I will be having for breakfast. We talk about everything, but the salary.

Finally we get to that topic, I tell him my IDEAL figure. He says that's more than others have asked. I make a mistake of saying that's only my ideal figure. He says he'll call me back after he does some calculations.

After ten minutes he calls me back, and asks me to give him another lower figure. So I decrease my offer by about 7% (I asked for about 1400 and lowered it 1300 euros, which is a decent salary over here) he says it's still to high. Giving me a story that I will start at a lower salary but if I prove myself I will get a raise quickly. So I ask him ok, what's your offer, it's 1200. Tired of negotiations, I accept. Tell him I'll talk to my boss on Monday.
We exchange greetings and hang up.

I GOT THE JOB! GREAT!
right?
no...I feel like shit....I get this gut feeling that I've been had. I text or call everyone I told about this drama. My dad and my friend give me the best advice. Dad told me never do things out of spite. And the friend asked if my current place of work is really that bad? Suggested I should ask for more. What's the worse case scenario? I keep my current job.

So I think some more, do some calculations and realize that I would pretty much have the same salary at the new job and the old job (it's framed a bit differently in each place). I would have less free time at the new job, and after all I have that site I work with my friend. I would pretty much have to abandon that.

I think some more, and realized I have been low-balled, basically salary talk was held off to the very last minute after I mentally already saw myself work at the new place, after I mentally committed to it. I decide to decline their offer and go back to little lower than my original offer, offer them 1350. I feel bad for going back on my word. But hey it's better to go back on my word than be honest and be a sucker.

So on Monday I send an e-mail to the finance guy (after I tried calling him) telling him about my decision. I get no word back, nothing ...till Friday. Telling me they can't accept my offer, and that they think their offer is fair. I thank them, and hope that in future will be able to work together.

In the end I didn't get the job, but on my terms. I wanted to leave for sake of leaving (basically out of spite, thanks dad). When I refused their offer and set my foot down and for first time in my career I felt like I was in control of the situation.

What I learned from this, is to never try to bring life decisions without discussing it with people. Talking to people, AND listening to what they say really helped me here.

Last edited by Martian Kyo on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martian Kyo wrote:
What I learned from this, is to never try to bring life decisions without discussing it with people. Talking to people, AND listening to what they say really helped me here.

Thanks for that one, I will try and remember :)
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry you didn't get the job, but congrats on making what sounds like a smart decision played well.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm partly responsible, but there are currently two separate places on this forum where animal sex, and specifically animal penises, are being discussed. I find this amusing yet disturbing at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay, Martian! it may not have come out exactly like you expected, but it sounds like it was a growth experience. and it sounds like you think you made the right decision - avoided getting stuck in a position that probably wasn't as good as you were hoping it would be.

and your friend is right - never hurts to bring up the subject of a raise at your current job.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mouse. I have a gyno appointment with a female gyno the 19th. I am still not totally convince that the Bartholin gland is the problem - if this lump is a bartholin gland then both have been inflamed for neigh on a full year. Or more. Without coming to a head. SO I don't know. I do get to meet my martial arts/massage therapist friend Saturday. Last time she rubbed on me, I was without pain for a full week.

+ Anyhow, the hot baths seem to be working. Didn't get sex but got to orgasm without pain (yes, there was pain after but not even close to the same level as before). That is pretty huge.
- If sitting in a hot bath once a day is what fixes this, I am going to be pretty irked. I could have done this years ago!

In other news
+/- Business trips
+ Hotel room to myself! Awesomesauce!
- 5 hour drive in the car with my boss. He is cool and all - about my age though with kids - but keeping up professional enough conversation for 5 hours is tiring.
+ Totally got through 5 hours of conversation. Oddly enough, non detail specific drinking stories are an okay topic.
- Totally don't know how I am going to do it again Friday. Gah.

bitflipper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martian, for what it's worth, that finance guy was screwing you over from the minute he asked you to name a second, lower salary figure. My response at that point would have been "If my expectations are out of your budget, then how about you make a counter-offer, and we hope we can meet somewhere in the middle?" Never counter-offer yourself in negotiations; it weakens your position too much. Always make the other guy name a figure and benefits combination in counter to your own offer if he's not willing to meet your price.

Also, bear in mind: you can always trade added benefits and perks for salary, and you can always ask for a reasonable time to think over any offer. If they're not willing to give you until at least the end of the next business day to consider their offer and make a counter-offer, then they're either not serious about their offer, or they're desperate: push back and push high in either case, because you've got nothing to lose.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

las: on friday you talk about how the business trip went. and then gossip about the people you were meeting with.

and yeah, if you have had the same thing for that long a time, it sounds like it must be something else. mine lasted maybe a week - if it had lasted much longer, i would probably have killed myself to stop the pain. good luck with the gyno.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1086, 1087, 1088 ... 1134, 1135, 1136  Next
Page 1087 of 1136

Jump to: