welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ought Comedians Tell Rape jokes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

There are some lines Comedians ought not cross.
Of course.
43%
 43%  [ 19 ]
No, nothing is sacred.
56%
 56%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 44

DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilbert has an eternal black mark since my local paper tried to put it in Calvin and Hobbes vacant spot.
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the author turned out to be a massive dick. Kinda makes it harder to enjoy...
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only a dick, but he subscribes to the "expanding Earth" woo instead of accepting continental drift.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Not only a dick, but he subscribes to the "expanding Earth" woo instead of accepting continental drift.

Wow. I hadn't come across this gem of stupidity before. Scott Adams just gets better and better.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
And the author turned out to be a massive dick. Kinda makes it harder to enjoy...

Honestly I don't really care whether a director/writer/author/artist is a dick, it doesn't really impact how I feel about their work. Especially if they reveal their dickishness afterwards, because then I don't feel bad about spending my money on something that supports someone else's dickish behaviour. Case in point: Dilbert from 1990-2000, before Scott Adams created a blog and showed the world how idiotic he actually was. Also Clint Eastwood, until he started talking to empty chairs. Just because he's an insane republican who rants at inanimate objects now doesn't mean I can't enjoy Dirty Harry movies anymore.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Wow. I hadn't come across this gem of stupidity before. Scott Adams just gets better and better.

Actually, looking back on the post I saw years ago, it may have been tongue-in-cheek. But with Adams it's hard to say, because he's used that "it was just a joke!" thing to cover his ass several times before.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Actually, looking back on the post I saw years ago, it may have been tongue-in-cheek. But with Adams it's hard to say, because he's used that "it was just a joke!" thing to cover his ass several times before.

Considering he ends with:

Quote:
The expanding matter theory of gravity isnít a serious one. Itís just a fun mental detour. And like all fringe theories, you can always find clues that make it seem as though it all fits together, so long as you donít know too much about science.

It's pretty clear he himself doesn't actually believe it.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: A goddamn hero. Reply with quote

You can tell exactly what type of person Scott Adams is if you ever read one of his books.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Michael wrote:

Honestly I don't really care whether a director/writer/author/artist is a dick, it doesn't really impact how I feel about their work. Especially if they reveal their dickishness afterwards, because then I don't feel bad about spending my money on something that supports someone else's dickish behaviour. Case in point: Dilbert from 1990-2000, before Scott Adams created a blog and showed the world how idiotic he actually was. Also Clint Eastwood, until he started talking to empty chairs. Just because he's an insane republican who rants at inanimate objects now doesn't mean I can't enjoy Dirty Harry movies anymore.

This is where we get back to the "voting with your wallet" issue. Sure Clint's a looney old man talking to chairs, but he's a looney old man WITH A BIG FAT CHECKBOOK talking to chairs. Where does he get his money from? Consumers. Well, sure it's technically studios and sponsors and what not who believe that his work (and his famed derived from that work) will attract consumers, but that's the point. It needs to be made known that his works won't attract consumers i.e. you need to boycott that shit.

And don't even try to give the whole "behind the veil of ignorance" weaksauce justification, because it's utterly morally vapid. Once you know what's behind the curtain you're automatically forced to make a moral choice. You either continue giving your support or you don't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite obviously I am just a morally bankrupt person, because once again:

Quote:
Honestly I don't really care whether a director/writer/author/artist is a dick, it doesn't really impact how I feel about their work.

The best part is I don't even buy books/movies/games new, I only ever buy them used.
Snorri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Michael wrote:

This is where we get back to the "voting with your wallet" issue. Sure Clint's a looney old man talking to chairs, but he's a looney old man WITH A BIG FAT CHECKBOOK talking to chairs. Where does he get his money from? Consumers. Well, sure it's technically studios and sponsors and what not who believe that his work (and his famed derived from that work) will attract consumers, but that's the point. It needs to be made known that his works won't attract consumers i.e. you need to boycott that shit.

And don't even try to give the whole "behind the veil of ignorance" weaksauce justification, because it's utterly morally vapid. Once you know what's behind the curtain you're automatically forced to make a moral choice. You either continue giving your support or you don't.

The problem here is that people hold many different views AND my support for one thing does not immediately mean I support everything all the persons involved in that thing stand for.

Clint Eastwood supports gay marriage. And he's a conservative with a few bad ideas. Should I boycott his films or not?

Hell, I don't think Eastwood is a bad man. I don't endorse all his ideas, but at the same time I can't seriously claim he doesn't deserve any of my money unless he changes all his opinions.

Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of confused, because seeing Clint Eastwood argue with an imaginary chair made me love him even more.

Especially when his response to the whole thing was along the lines of 'well, what did they expect!'.

He's fucking great. He can hotdog me any time.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Michael wrote:

The problem here is that people hold many different views AND my support for one thing does not immediately mean I support everything all the persons involved in that thing stand for.

Clint Eastwood supports gay marriage. And he's a conservative with a few bad ideas. Should I boycott his films or not?

Hell, I don't think Eastwood is a bad man. I don't endorse all his ideas, but at the same time I can't seriously claim he doesn't deserve any of my money unless he changes all his opinions.

Well that's the thing: it all depends on how important their stance is on various issues versus how important that issue is to you. Clint didn't really ruffle a lot of feathers because he was generally just supporting a conservative platform.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Smooshie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

I don't know about that...

I love you.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooshie wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

I don't know about that...

What does that have to do with anything? Refute what I said, add to it, or take it in a different direction. What you posted was a pointless link to a pdf that I'm not gonna waste time reading.

Simply put, you can't have your cake and eat it. You either uphold your morals or you make concessions. "But they're sooo talented, they're such a good performer, they are an asset to their craft. . ." is just making weak justifications about one's own moral compromises. Sure they may be minor, but at what point do they matter? How many small concessions does one make until they've completely gone against something?

Now I'm not saying paying the admission for the cost of a single Eastwood movie ticket or DVD automatically makes you a GOP'er for life, but if you stop and think about how you spend your money, where does it all really go (I bet there's political activist sites or some such that track this sort of thing)? Also like I said, it depends on how strongly you feel about the issue.

While this is a MUCH smaller scale, I would say this is the same reason why one should not invest in Phillip Morris, AIG, or Halliburton, regardless of how profitable and sound of investment choices they may be: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/10-most-hated-companies-america-163000649.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15

Jump to: