welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-03-17: Witch
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: 2013-03-17: Witch Reply with quote

vincentninja68

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medusa?
leutchi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mess with a mother and her child.

In other news, will Lily manifest these powers later?
Smooshie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently those two dudes are now devilkin. Is this the case with all the devilfolk in Sinfest? Surprised

I love you.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is intense. And I guess Lily and his mom couldn't stay in that town anymore... Sad
Gibson22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that big of a fan of this strip. The artwork is fantastic as always, but it seems strange that a son of the devil, in a society so plagued by the patriarchy which is controlled by the devil, is being targeted by society. It doesn't seem to fit to me, which is my only gripe.

Li'l E is adorable in panel 12.
FFKonoko

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong, but I didn't think the world was nearly so devil-filled or controlled back then.

Someone could probably make a reasonable case that the devil stepped up his game for reasons of wanting to protect his kid, etc.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
Not that big of a fan of this strip. The artwork is fantastic as always, but it seems strange that a son of the devil, in a society so plagued by the patriarchy which is controlled by the devil, is being targeted by society. It doesn't seem to fit to me, which is my only gripe.

Li'l E is adorable in panel 12.

Because I think this specific storyline is not about the patriarchy, but rather the demonization and bullying of others based on and "justified" by qualities they had no influence on. Such as, Lil'E's horns. It's not his fault he has them, but others harm him because of it.

What bugs me though, so she technically IS a witch, which sort of means the villagers were right in a sense. Now, the question is, "are we supposed to accept witches in our society", which honestly, I don't know. And I'm not exactly sure what it symbolizes either.
But of course, it brings up the question whether "we have the right to terrorize those we don't accept", look at the tomato both here and in Nique's case ~ I'd say, obviously we don't. But people do it anyways. They do all of these anyways, for no good and no valid reason.

Last edited by Zhuinden on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:12 am; edited 2 times in total
BiQ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe their divorce was extraordinarily toxic and she made a strong point of not wanting D and this patriarchy business to have any influence in her and Li'l E's lives. ...and D agreed to that. (inasmuch is possible in society run by patriarchy)
Wingcap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D knows how to pick 'em. Very Happy

FFKonoko wrote:
I might be wrong, but I didn't think the world was nearly so devil-filled or controlled back then.

Someone could probably make a reasonable case that the devil stepped up his game for reasons of wanting to protect his kid, etc.

I'd agree with this. This strip makes me think that once, the family was closer than we have seen in previous strips involving them - mainly through having to deal with this.

Unless this is where Lil'E and his mother went when the left the Devil, and this was his doing? I sure hope not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't she an angel?
cat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:

What bugs me though, so she technically IS a witch, which sort of means the villagers were right in a sense. Now, the question is, "are we supposed to accept witches in our society", which honestly, I don't know. And I'm not exactly sure what it symbolizes either.

This sort of depends what you think a witch is.
To my mind, many of the women (and the smaller body of men) who were persecuted as witches were simply victims of being an inconvenience at a time when it was pretty easy to remove them.

Most of the terrifying witches would have been women who simply had the mental faculties to use rudimentary medicine and had enough grasp of logic to help other people sort their lives out a bit. Wize Women, that's all...

They probably could magic away tooth pain with tree park preparations AND give you a savage itch if you crossed them Razz
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
What bugs me though, so she technically IS a witch, which sort of means the villagers were right in a sense.

Just because she can turn them to stone does not mean she's necessarily a witch.

cleocatra wrote:
Isn't she an angel?

Has there ever been anything suggesting the idea that she is, or was, an angel? Because I'm positive that there is nothing that suggests the such.

Gibson22 wrote:

This isn't exactly new. Devil people other than D-man himself had always been prosecuted by society if not actively in D-man's presence. He's never really shown signs of caring about the stigma that society has for other devil people, nor had he ever been shown to actively give a fuck about doing anything about it.

As someone on tvtropes put it, "He only controls certain aspects of the world, namely the corporate sector. The things he doesn't control are pretty open with their hatred for demons." and "Also, the Devil controlling anything doesn't mean his underlings get anything out of the deal. He's the Devil, after all. He's not very nice."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:

This isn't exactly new. Devil people other than D-man himself had always been prosecuted by society if not actively in D-man's presence. He's never really shown signs of caring about the stigma that society has for other devil people, nor had he ever been shown to actively give a fuck about doing anything about it.

It seems like that would work in his favor. Devil people could see or hear about other devil people who tried to make it without D, but who failed. Then they'd be very hesitant to do the same. That could be a reason why he hasn't done anything to Fuschia.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vincentninja68 wrote:
Medusa?

No, she's an older goddess, I forget which one, I'm too tired right now to think of it. . . Maybe Cybele or Rhea or Gaia or someone, I forget
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: