welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 286, 287, 288  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victim Blaming™ : Now in NEW Headline Fodder flavor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Of course, not wanting to be outdone in being horrible bags of human waste by CNN, Fox News decides to "accidentally" leak the name of the rape victim.

No matter how "accidental," that ought to earn Fox one hell of a hefty fine from an Ohio district court, as well as exposing them to a serious defamation lawsuit.
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Even the Onion has better taste than that. I mean, holy shit.

They already did this.

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Him wrote:
Of course, not wanting to be outdone in being horrible bags of human waste by CNN, Fox News decides to "accidentally" leak the name of the rape victim.

No matter how "accidental," that ought to earn Fox one hell of a hefty fine from an Ohio district court, as well as exposing them to a serious defamation lawsuit.

What would be the grounds for defamation?
bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake; that should be "invasion of privacy," not "defamation." Defamation requires the statements made about the defamed person be demonstrably false; invasion of privacy is the tort that allows a claim for damages due to "public disclosure of embarrassing private information."

I had too many tabs open, and got mixed up in what I had looked up. Sorry for the confusion.
Him

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Rape, Cages, and the Steubenville Verdict
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
On Rape, Cages, and the Steubenville Verdict

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/cnn-steubenville-rape-poppy-harlow-144458279.html

Quote:
The criticism of CNN's coverage wasn't limited to tweets and blog posts. One viewer, Gabriel Garcia, launched a Change.org petition on Sunday demanding an on-air apology from the network:
Quote:
That CNN decided to paint the tears of the convicted Steubenville rapists in a sympathetic light and say how their lives were ruined—while completely ignoring the fact that the rape victim's life is the one whose life was ruined by these rapists' actions—is disgusting and helps perpetuate a shameful culture in which young people never understand the concept of consent and in which rape victims are blamed and ostracized. Changing that culture must be done brick by brick, and it can start by heaping public shame on this major cable news network and forcing them to admit that they are wrong.

"I request that you apologize on-air, several times over the course of the next week, at the start of every hour, for your shameful coverage," Garcia wrote in a letter attached to the petition. "Start with Candy Crowley, Poppy Harlow and Paul Callan themselves issuing their apologies several times, then extend that to the rest of CNN's staff and Jeff Zucker himself. Admit that your coverage was extremely off base and tell us why it was off base. Use the content of this letter as a starting point if you need to."

The petition has accumulated more than 50,000 signatures.

Perhaps CNN was listening. On Monday, the network aired a segment that focused on the victim's struggle she faces as a survivor.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Him

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steubenville’s Jane Doe asked people to do something…

Oh and also
"We Support Jane Doe"
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our society is shit:
Teen Girls Charged for Allegedly Threatening Steubenville, Ohio, Rape Victim
By Michael S. James | ABC News Blogs – 4 hours ago
Quote:
Two teenage girls were charged with menacing today for allegedly threatening the victim in the Steubenville, Ohio, rape case via Twitter and Facebook, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine announced.

"Let me be clear," DeWine said in a news release on his website announcing the arrests this evening. "Threatening a teenage rape victim will not be tolerated. If anyone makes a threat verbally or via the Internet, we will take it seriously, we will find you, and we will arrest you."

Full story: http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/teen-girls-charged-allegedly-threatening-steubenville-ohio-rape-031007320--abc-news-topstories.html

Elsewhere, North Dakota tries to outlaw abortion:

North Dakota looks at more abortion restrictions
North Dakota looks at banning all abortions by defining life as beginning with conception
By Dave Kolpack, Associated Press | Associated Press – 1 hr 52 mins ago

Quote:
FARGO, N.D. (AP) -- North Dakota lawmakers who approved what would be some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the U.S. are now considering outlawing all abortions.

The "personhood" measures would ban abortions by defining human life as beginning with conception. It's drawing opposition from some doctors who say it could cause problems for infertile couples seeking to use in vitro fertilization to conceive, but supporters insist that's addressed in the legislation.

The state Senate passed two personhood measures last month, and the House could vote as soon as Tuesday. One of the bills would make the proposal a state law and another is a resolution that would put the definition into the state constitution, if passed by voters.

North Dakota is one of several states with Republican-controlled Legislatures and GOP governors that is looking at abortion restrictions, but the state is could go further than any other in challenging the U.S. Supreme Court's 1973 decision that legalized abortion.

Last week, the Legislature sent Gov. Jack Dalrymple what would be two of the most restrictive abortion laws in the U.S., banning abortions as early as six weeks in a pregnancy and on the basis of genetic defects such as Down syndrome. North Dakota also would be the first to adopt a personhood law if that measure passes. Abortion-rights activists have vowed to fight the measures in court.

Full story: http://news.yahoo.com/north-dakota-looks-more-abortion-124127840.html
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to throw up.

Text Messages that led to convictions in the Steubenville Rape Trial wrote:
Brad Newburn to Trent Mays:

What was the deal with (Jane)?

Trent Mays:

What you mean lol

Bradley Newburn:

What did u guys do lol

Trent Mays:

Nothing. It was just me, Mark and Farrah.

Bradly Newburn:

Did u fuck her?

Trent Mays:

Yes.

Bradley Newburn:

Yeah boy!

http://mobilebroadcastnews.com/NewsRoom/Don-Carpenter/Text-Messages-led-convictions-Steubenville-Rape-Trial
Him

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.newstatesman.com/laurie-penny/2013/03/steubenville-rape-cultures-abu-ghraib-moment
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez. fox and cnn should have to read out all those text messages, on air...then they can explain what nice young men these are, whose lives were ruined because they were convicted of a crime...the one they bragged about committing.
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
jeez. fox and cnn should have to read out all those text messages, on air...then they can explain what nice young men these are, whose lives were ruined because they were convicted of a crime...the one they bragged about committing.

Amen.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if there is justice in this world, then, yes, these two boys' lives are ruined. That's what's supposed to happen to people who commit felony sexual assault on an incapacitated minor and go bragging about it and laughing as they do so. Their misdeeds should haunt them for the rest of their days, in the hope that the misery it brings them will prevent them from ever repeating those actions. For most of us, it's called "having a conscience." Although, if these boys actually had a conscience within their own heads, they wouldn't have willfully raped a fellow student whilst proclaiming "lol" and photographing the act. Since they apparently have no conscience within, it falls to society to provide a reliable substitute from without.

And, yes, this causes me sorrow and dismay; the world shouldn't be such that it falls upon the shoulders of decent folk to provide the conscience for aberrant scum who value a damned, stupid game more than they care for another living person. I, too, lament that these boys' lives have been ruined. If they were worthy of the title "human," such ruin would never have come to pass.
Desire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
It's CNN. If the Motion Picture Academy handed out Oscars for yellow journalism, CNN would sweep the awards ceremony every year.

edit: O-kay, "yellowish." I don't think they actually make their stories up out of whole cloth, but they sure do look for the weirdest possible slants to report.

Is there any real, impartial journalism anymore? I avoid the news in general so this is actually an honest question.
Most of the news is bad news and makes me sad, but I can't subject myself to what passes for journalism in this country; it is adding the insult to the injury.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 182, 183, 184 ... 286, 287, 288  Next
Page 183 of 288

Jump to: