welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 183, 184, 185 ... 319, 320, 321  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeat from my Women's Day thread, but worth the attention:

Prevent Another Steubenville: What All Mothers Must Do for Their Sons wrote:
When Max was just a few months old, I sat cross-legged on the floor with him in a circle of other mothers. The facilitator for our "Mommy and Me" playgroup would throw a question out to the group, and we would each volley back an answer.

"What quality do you want to instill in your child? What personality characteristic would you most like for your son to be known for?" she asked.

One by one, the mothers answered. "Athletic," "good sense of humor," "brave," "smart," "strong."

The answers blended together until it was my turn to speak. I looked down at the tiny human wiggling around on the blanket in front of me with his perfectly round nose and his full lips that mirrored mine. I stroked the top of his very bald head and said with confidence: "kind."

I want my son to grow up to be kind.

The eyes of the other mothers turned towards me. "That's not always a word that you hear used for boys," one said. "But yes, you're right... so I guess, me too." At the end of the day, we wanted our tiny, fragile, helpless baby boys to grow up to be kind. Strong, resilient, athletic, funny... but above all else, kind.

Article goes on to discuss some ins and outs of what how we can avoid perpetuating rape and rape culture in the new generation. Objective, not focusing on the question of, "what do we do now?" Highly worth a read.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kim-simon/prevent-another-steubenville-moms-of-sons_b_2896131.html
bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
Is there any real, impartial journalism anymore? I avoid the news in general so this is actually an honest question.
Most of the news is bad news and makes me sad, but I can't subject myself to what passes for journalism in this country; it is adding the insult to the injury.

I understand where you're coming from, and share some of the same dismay. I have found it easier to get a balanced picture in the day of the internet, however. Where possible, I like to read news articles from sources outside the U.S., such as Bloomberg, or the London Times, even translations from Xinhua (the official Chinese newspaper). Not saying these sources aren't also biased, but their biases tend to lean in other directions. It often adds a new dimension to the news, and the international sources seem less concerned with doom, gloom, and ratings and more concerned with just reporting the story. It's kind of refreshing.
Desire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I will keep these in mind. I find I usually end up looking for information (when researching something) internationally, as so much here (in the US) just seems biased and/or sensationalized. I am actually surprised and disappointed at the amount of BS that gets passed off as fact.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm a huge public radio fan - i am sure there are people who think they are biased, but they seem to come out on top on actually educating listeners. and my local station also broadcasts a couple BBC news shows. i'm with bitflipper - a check on what the rest of the world is saying is a good thing. i've actually heard that al jazeera in english is pretty balanced - unfortunately, my cable provider decided that their customers needed to be saved from exposure to something that had anything to do with arabs, so i'm limited to checking it out online.
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salon on the Steubenville football coach, who apparently knew about the rapes early on and didn't report it: http://www.salon.com/2013/03/18/meet_reno_saccoccia_steubenvilles_head_football_coach/

This case, and the reactions to it at every level, from the locals threatening the victim up to CNN, should really be a sufficient case study to convince *anyone* there is a rape culture problem in the US.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that article wrote:
Deadspin editor Barry Petchesky has a theory, and it’s that, much like Trent Mays and Ma’lik Richmond, “local legend” Saccoccia believed that his status as a local football celebrity put him above the law

WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IS THIS A THING? You're a fucking football coach. They play football. What the fucking fuck?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not that this is anything new. remember Joe Paterno?
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I said the same thing back then. It so overrides my reasoning that I explode every time. Also:

That article wrote:
The day after the incident, Mays texted a friend: “I got Reno. He took care of it and shit ain’t gonna happen, even if they did take it to court. Like he was joking about it so I’m not worried,” according to an agent with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, who testified in the rape case.

As Petchesky notes, “the players were convinced they were untouchable because they’d committed the rape on Saccoccia’s turf … They were right, for a while.”

Earlier, it wrote:
He “molds young boys into men.”

Yeah. He molds them into men who feel safe raping unconscious women.

ShadowCell wrote:
there is a rape culture problem in the US.

No shit, right?
bitflipper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
that article wrote:
Deadspin editor Barry Petchesky has a theory, and it’s that, much like Trent Mays and Ma’lik Richmond, “local legend” Saccoccia believed that his status as a local football celebrity put him above the law

WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IS THIS A THING? You're a fucking football coach. They play football. What the fucking fuck?

I hear ya, Dogen. But, it occurs to me that maybe we're looking at this the wrong way 'round.

I, for example, am a very local cooking celebrity (Hey, my own household counts, right?). Therefore, that status should put me above football, yes?

Or maybe we need tee-shirts: "We obey the law; therefore, we are above football!" Or basketball, or baseball, or any other jock-infested pastime that has gotten absurdly out of hand in recent years both in terms of its compensation packages compared to actual production and service jobs and in terms of the absurdity of the demands and actions of the celebrity stars of the game. Think tee-shirts will get the message across?

"You play a game! You produce nothing, provide no useful service,do not toil at a job like the vast majority of people around you. You should weep, daily, that you are so blessed as to be allowed to scratch out a livelihood playing a game, instead of having to contribute meaningfully to society. Remember this, the next time you feel hard-done-by, or entitled to some special treatment for how well you play your freaking, stupid game!!"
Him

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candy Crowley can't comprehend why her CNN coverage caused people to be very upset.

I mean I am sure they were very sad about being caught (careful viewers will notice that Mays apologizes for taking photos of the rape and distributing them, not the rape itself) but if we are going to be honest here they got the absolutely shortest sentence possible. Why the fuck does she not get that rapists being put on sex offenders lists is not "sad" even if those rapists happen to be 16 and 17 years old?
Him

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry Rollins has some good things to say about the whole Steubenville thing.
Desire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Henry Rollins has some good things to say about the whole Steubenville thing.

I think liked most, if not all, of what he had to say on the topic.

"It is ironic and sad that the person who is going to do a life sentence is her."

This quote, I think sums up one thing I feel people often forget to address or don't want to think about, especially in cases like rape and child molestation (but not limited to them). It truly is a life sentence.

I doubt I will watch the documentary he linked because I already know (enough, for me) about that topic, and frankly, watching the news and seeing that a family's house burned down and their Grandma died is enough to depress me for days. I do think it is good that he links it and I hope many people will watch it.

Thanks for posting it, Him.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, there's a rape culture problem across the whole goddamned world. steubenville, as fucking horrible as it is, pales in comparison to almost anywhere else in the entire world short of the pathetic handful of nations that you could call a semi-good role model or at least a slightly less intense rape culture state than ours

but the rest of the world beyond that puts steubenville to shame. Middle east, brazil, eastern europe, africa, central america, russia, india, et cetera, world is terrible
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I read these horrifying stories from women in Africa and I just find it amazing where they get the will to keep living.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
man, there's a rape culture problem across the whole goddamned world. steubenville, as fucking horrible as it is, pales in comparison to almost anywhere else in the entire world short of the pathetic handful of nations that you could call a semi-good role model or at least a slightly less intense rape culture state than ours

but the rest of the world beyond that puts steubenville to shame. Middle east, brazil, eastern europe, africa, central america, russia, india, et cetera, world is terrible

I've been confused about the Steubensville affair being associated with rape culture. Wouldn't it be more accurate, and overall helpful to the conversation, to look at it as part of an even bigger problem? It's probably 'cuz Im tired, but what would be the terms and ideas that cover this? By 'this' i mean the attitudes towards these "good boys" who had their "lives ruined", the ideas that certain roles or statuses are outside of or above the laws of us common folk. Or am I just misunderstanding how the term 'rape culture' can be applied?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 183, 184, 185 ... 319, 320, 321  Next
Page 184 of 321

Jump to: