Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188 ... 270, 271, 272  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
anything that postulates that men/people think about sex 'all the time' or 'x times per minute/hour' is just balls-out made up, gee how did they claim to have scientifically measured it!

some are particularly egregious. i'm probably on the high end of the scale of ~wantonly libidinous male~ and if i were obsessed with sex to even a fraction of what they were claiming i would be functionally crippled and chronically inattentive and would probably have been run over by a car by now because of the CONSTANT INTRUDING THOUGHTS OF SEX

It's been a while since you associated with some high school kids, hasn't it? Wink

Seriously though, I suppose I should clarify, since I said this:
Quote:
I can't speak for other guys, but during adolescence I couldn't stop thinking about sex, even if I wanted to. It's not always about arousal either. There's the constant bombardment in media of sex, sex, sex. And the perpetuation of the notion that if you're a guy, and you're not getting laid A LOT, something's wrong with you. Or the portrayals of women as merely sexual objects.

Now it seems like I was saying I thought about sex non-stop, I didn't. It's more that it was extremely difficult to control when I did and didn't. Looking back, I wonder how much was external cues?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohio attorney general wants more answers regarding Steubenville rape case
Quote:
A couple of months back, Mike DeWine, the attorney general of Ohio, was going through the case his special prosecutors were building over rape allegations involving high school football players in Steubenville, an old mill town along the eastern border of the state.

The case which resulted in convictions Sunday of Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, of raping an intoxicated 16-year-old West Virginia girl after a night of partying last August was fairly clear.

What DeWine also saw though, were myriad unresolved issues surrounding the case, including reasonable questions coming from the people of Steubenville.

Where did underage kids get the alcohol? Were others involved in some way? Was there a resistance by local authorities to investigate a case involving players from the high-profile Steubenville High Big Red football program?

"The further we got into it, I said, We need a separate investigation,'" DeWine told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

So DeWine called the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and told the organization that the Steubenville rape case was going to need a second investigation, eventually with a special grand jury called, even if it didn't lead to the prosecution of anyone. The goal was simply to determine the truth of what went on August 11-12, 2012.

Full story: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/highschool--ohio-attorney-general-pursuing--separate-investigation--in-steubenville-rape-case-200547099.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Ohio attorney general wants more answers regarding Steubenville rape case
Quote:
A couple of months back, Mike DeWine, the attorney general of Ohio, was going through the case his special prosecutors were building over rape allegations involving high school football players in Steubenville, an old mill town along the eastern border of the state.

The case which resulted in convictions Sunday of Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, of raping an intoxicated 16-year-old West Virginia girl after a night of partying last August was fairly clear.

What DeWine also saw though, were myriad unresolved issues surrounding the case, including reasonable questions coming from the people of Steubenville.

Where did underage kids get the alcohol? Were others involved in some way? Was there a resistance by local authorities to investigate a case involving players from the high-profile Steubenville High Big Red football program?

"The further we got into it, I said, We need a separate investigation,'" DeWine told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday.

So DeWine called the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and told the organization that the Steubenville rape case was going to need a second investigation, eventually with a special grand jury called, even if it didn't lead to the prosecution of anyone. The goal was simply to determine the truth of what went on August 11-12, 2012.

Full story: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/highschool--ohio-attorney-general-pursuing--separate-investigation--in-steubenville-rape-case-200547099.html

GOOD. There is, I suspect, a HELL of a lot more going on in that story than just the two athletes being horrible, screwed up people.

By which I mean "I highly, highly suspect there were attempts at coverup and resistance by local authorities to do anything, and that a lot other people probably ALSO need to see the inside of a courtroom."
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad DeWine is a dickbag who's probably only doing this with the hopes of future political aspirations.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
It's too bad DeWine is a dickbag who's probably only doing this with the hopes of future political aspirations.

I've been out of ohio for years, so I don't know the current local politics, but... I admit that doesn't surprise me.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Him

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret Cho: Michelle Shocked Me
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

I've been out of ohio for years, so I don't know the current local politics, but... I admit that doesn't surprise me.

yes, but even ambitious dickwads occasionally get useful stuff done. let us hope he does so in this case - and maybe even spurs other investigations in other places. because you _know_ this isn't the only town where the football culture makes heros out of coaches, and gives the team members the sense of entitlement that tells them they can use girls any way they want.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

What's worse is: think about what kind of entitlement, good ol' boys' club, cronyism, and outright disregard for the law DeWine and the OCBI are likely to uncover; we're talking about small-town 'Murica, here, after all. Politically motivated or not, he's not going to have much trouble digging up plenty of dirt from a situation like this. The question is: will it do any good? Or, will it all just be forgotten and swept back under the rug once DeWine steps up from Attorney General to District Judge, or to Governor, or to whatever post his aspirations may be?
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
Sam wrote:
anything that postulates that men/people think about sex 'all the time' or 'x times per minute/hour' is just balls-out made up, gee how did they claim to have scientifically measured it!

some are particularly egregious. i'm probably on the high end of the scale of ~wantonly libidinous male~ and if i were obsessed with sex to even a fraction of what they were claiming i would be functionally crippled and chronically inattentive and would probably have been run over by a car by now because of the CONSTANT INTRUDING THOUGHTS OF SEX

It's been a while since you associated with some high school kids, hasn't it? Wink

Seriously though, I suppose I should clarify, since I said this:
Quote:
I can't speak for other guys, but during adolescence I couldn't stop thinking about sex, even if I wanted to. It's not always about arousal either. There's the constant bombardment in media of sex, sex, sex. And the perpetuation of the notion that if you're a guy, and you're not getting laid A LOT, something's wrong with you. Or the portrayals of women as merely sexual objects.

Now it seems like I was saying I thought about sex non-stop, I didn't. It's more that it was extremely difficult to control when I did and didn't. Looking back, I wonder how much was external cues?

Yeah that. I mean, the stereotype of men always talking about cars, money and sex isn't true except for sex nearly always being a topic. It's philosophy, film and sex. It's soccer, hip hop and sex. It's not the One Thing that all men deem the most important but it does seem to be something that men think about much more than women.

It's probably a lot of cultural influence.

bitflipper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Yeah that. I mean, the stereotype of men always talking about cars, money and sex isn't true except for sex nearly always being a topic. It's philosophy, film and sex. It's soccer, hip hop and sex. It's not the One Thing that all men deem the most important but it does seem to be something that men think about much more than women.

Probably. Think of how many movies and TV shows play up that stereotype. Women are "supposed to" think about fashion, their appearance, and relationships, and men are "supposed to" think about sports, cars, and sex, right?
Snorri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Snorri wrote:

Probably. Think of how many movies and TV shows play up that stereotype. Women are "supposed to" think about fashion, their appearance, and relationships, and men are "supposed to" think about sports, cars, and sex, right?

Right but if people actually do what is shown on tv how can you tell if tv isn't just describing how people act?

bitflipper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
Right but if people actually do what is shown on tv how can you tell if tv isn't just describing how people act?

I don't believe in TV; I think it's just another screwball religion, always telling me what can't possibly be factual and demanding my money. Razz
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
bitflipper wrote:
Snorri wrote:

Deciding either way would be pretty irrational without evidence, wouldn't it?
Him

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Study debunks notion that men and women are psychologically distinct
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Snorri wrote:
bitflipper wrote:
Snorri wrote:

Deciding either way would be pretty irrational without evidence, wouldn't it?

Hell, I don't think you can even get much evidence given the amount of cultural influence that is not tv.

But even if the cause of behaviour is unclear, it strikes me as silly to ignore the existence of it. Because even if it's completely due to cultural influence the shaping has already taken place.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 186, 187, 188 ... 270, 271, 272  Next
Page 187 of 272

Jump to: