welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1166, 1167, 1168 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
I like that Dogen's job is too "watch people have heart attacks".

You're not meant to do that Dogen.

Don't you tell me how to do my job! ... Really, unless you're an interventional cardiologist (I am not), the only thing I can do is phone the nurse and tell them their patient appears to be killing their own heart. Then I watch. 'Cause I'm basically a cardiac voyeur by trade.

DeD CHiKn wrote:
We are quite fond of parties here at the hospital. We have one about every two weeks for different reasons. Bridal shower, baby shower, birthdays, etc. Comes with cake and decorations.

Weird. We have retirement parties, and "caregiver appreciation" parties, but nothing not-work-related... but then everyone here kind of hates the hospital, and they don't allow wine... plus I just think of the (all) hospital(s) as being filled with MRSA and c.diff so I don't want to be there unless I'm getting paid.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the future, when Dogen is a professor, I'm soooo taking some of his classes. What's that you say? He lives three thousand miles away? Details, details.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe he'll be a traveling professor, going from town to town, lecturing on how to watch people have heart attacks. and why they should avoid hospitals.
Dro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 Simple rules for watching a person having a heart attack, by Dogen
1) Settle in and get comfy. It can take a while.
2) If they clutch their chest and stare at you with pleading eyes, ask them "do I look like an interventional cardiologist?"
3) When their contractions are the most intense, tell them "you are going to have a heart baby!"
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Weird. We have retirement parties, and "caregiver appreciation" parties, but nothing not-work-related... but then everyone here kind of hates the hospital, and they don't allow wine... plus I just think of the (all) hospital(s) as being filled with MRSA and c.diff so I don't want to be there unless I'm getting paid.

Most everything is covered in MRSA.

C.diff usually isn't on our floor. Usually.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
3 Simple rules for watching a person having a heart attack, by Dogen
1) Settle in and get comfy. It can take a while.
2) If they clutch their chest and stare at you with pleading eyes, ask them "do I look like an interventional cardiologist?"
3) When their contractions are the most intense, tell them "you are going to have a heart baby!"

You forgot no kissing on the mouth.

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Most everything is covered in MRSA.

C.diff usually isn't on our floor. Usually.

I don't care if they remodeled the unit with a flamethrower. Every surface in a hospital is covered in MRSA, c.diff, and every other infectious organism as far as I'm concerned. We don't have a three second rule, we have a three inch rule. If your food comes within three inches of the ground, it's a lost cause. People become incontinent and pee or shit on the floor in their rooms, and sometimes it gets on shoes, and then those shoes walk around all over the place... no. Hospitals are gross.

So long story short, I would not have a wedding shower at my hospital. I have showered at my hospital, though, but it was not a party and I did not receive gifts.
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know I could want to avoid hospitals EVEN MORE but there you have it, I guess.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-I've got a cold (but that would usually be just quarter of minus) if I hadn't
-forgotten to pay my gas bill, cause I am disorganized
-had my gas turned off, so no heat. (I sort of deserve that cause I am idiot)
-in addition work is hectic, with 3 projects in testing phases with no end in sight. 2 out of those are already 6 months past their deadline, one thankfull is on schedule

all of them are first world problems, though having no heat kind of pushes me into second/third world territory, but that only because I am a first world idiot.

Edit:
Apparently the gas people said it's their fault. I was late with the payment, but not late enough for shutting off. So that's great....but I still don't have heat till tomorrow.
eureka00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So long story short, I would not have a wedding shower at my hospital. I have showered at my hospital, though, but it was not a party and I did not receive gifts.

Haha! We used to have shower parties in the all girl dorm in college.

Don't worry, my classroom at my daycare I'm sure is crawling with germs, even though, I scrub tables and spray disinfectant multiple times a day. Children are just walking plague factories.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to call children "little petri dishes"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to think about what is on all the books at work, but I find treating it like a petting zoo works for me. We all know we're getting sick first, anyway, because the school is literally across the street so a lot of kids come in every day for as long as school goes on.

On the upside, the kids give hilarious puppet shows, and so many of them are conscientious (Much more than the adults.) so I forgive them.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to have all my mom's side of the family over to my house since I got it up and running two months ago. We used to meet at my grandparents every month or so to have a brunch and I'd like to keep it going since they aren't around anymore.

Every week it's the same thing, "I have things to do" "your cousin has sports" "I can't make the drive."

These are reasonable, but annoying, excuses. I understand people have other things going on, but you can't make time to see family once in two months?

My sister is coming to town next weekend, suddenly everyone has an open schedule.
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they're intimidated by your magnificent mustache.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that, or henry Very Happy

actually, it's probably the usual - "oh, we can go _next_ time". because you live in town, and you aren't on the verge of death (actually, probably everyone went to the grandparents because they'd done it all their lives).

have you told everyone you want to keep the brunch-except-without-grandparents going? now with added guilt of "we haven't seen you in XX months!"

it sounds like a really nice thing to do, i hope the rest of your family recognizes that and gets into it.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup you should make yourself scarce, to become more attractive.

basic supply and demand mechanics work in family life as well.

Or you could alternatively...invite only some members of your family, post photos of the gathering and good times for other family members to see...and then they'll think 'hey why I didn't get invited to that', and then they'll want to come.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1166, 1167, 1168 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next
Page 1167 of 1254

Jump to: