welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-03-24: Fembot Factory 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adyon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. In this case, the Sisterhood may do an action that isn't good itself. However, just as said here, it doesn't mean the action is evil.

Before Arthain seemed to be operating under the assumption that an action is removable from the event and circumstances and also seemingly able to be boiled down to good or evil. The world is more gray than that unfortunately. We make choices every day, let alone in war, that we ourselves hate, let alone will be judged by others.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone once pointed out--in these forums, I think--that USians tend to hold onto a rather naive belief that all problems have solutions and that there is a best solution for any problem. It was a bit of an eye-opener when I read that statement.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol wrote:
Honestly, I don't think the fembots are meant as a literal critique of the sex toy industry. It's more of a representation of gender constructs.

It's kind of crazy to me how many people manage to not get this. Patriarchy brainwashes women into subservience. Curly introduces information about how patriarchal societies treat women. Women rebel against the brainwashing. I can't see how it could be more clear. And yet:

Phox wrote:
Actually what they did was the definition of domestic terrorism

Teaching history is terrorism?

Phox wrote:
What Devil Corp is doing is wrong, but what the Sisterhood is doing is just as bad.

Teaching history is as bad as brainwashing people into servitude?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard we're stupidly optomistic.

Reminds me of a quiz I took in a course about getting rid of stress. The quiz was meant to determine whether one is an optomist or not. One question was:

If you get the job after an interview, do you think:
1. Wow I must have interviewed really well!
2. I'm so qualified!

Two is the optimist, but one makes sense to me, because you can be really qualified and still not get the job if you screw up the interview.
Amitabha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:O

I certainly hope Sweaterbot (that's what I'm calling her until further notice) doesn't kill anyone.

(I am also Istancow)

Last edited by Amitabha on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitflipper wrote:
Adyon wrote:
I disagree, but even if so, if the system was so that it really WAS the only way, is it still evil?

It is possible that, for a given problem, there is no "good" solution; war is a classic example of that.

Besides, Tat has never indicated that we're supposed to regard the Sisterhood as always "right." He depicts what the Sisterhood does. In other strips, he depicts what Devil Corp does. Whether or not what either organization does is "right" or "wrong" is subjective.

Of course, from another perspective, opposing The Devil in any way shape or form whatsoever is by definition "good" because The Devil is by definition "evil." What does that prove?

As for the theory that any of the factory workers died, we should remember that Devil People (well, Blue, anyway) refer to humans as "mortals."

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3050

If someone else is mortal and you're not, that generally means that you're immortal which generally means that you can't die. It might be that the only power that can kill a Devil Person is The Devil himself, and if The Devil killed the factory workers for what he perceived as their failure, well, that's certainly not Curly's fault.

Heck, even if Devil People can die, where else are they (particularly those who work directly for The Devil) going to go after death but to Hell...which we've seen any number of people, not only Devil People but mortals, enter and exit pretty easily? And if death is meaningless, what else can the act of killing someone be but equally meaningless?
bitflipper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
And if death is meaningless, what else can the act of killing someone be but equally meaningless?

But it is such a pain, and it royally messes with ones social calendar. And that's not to mention the dry-cleaning bill! Honestly, Ronald, didn't your mother ever teach you that it's just plain rude to kill people, at least without prior arrangement?
Amitabha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Perhaps in introducing myself to new acquaintances by shooting them in the face I am making a social error.

It always just sort of seemed like an amiable thing to do.

(I am also Istancow)
Amitabha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that within a literary context, we are meant to see the Sisterhood as a protagonist group, and Big D as an antagonist.

Usually in the strip, there is some sort of sympathetic justification for what the Sisterhood does.

Whereas we are not given any reason for Big D's actions that justifies them to anyone other than himself.

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3004

(I am also Istancow)
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, generally the Sisterhood has established motivations that make them be perceived as just. That's an all-encompassing justification for actions: They do it in the name of justice. Mistakes can be made, but it won't mean they are evil. An action is something that happens. The perpetrator gives it meaning.

For an instance on how the character changes the meaning of an action, in the correspondent topic I already mentioned that if it was Squig right here:

he would be agreeing with Slick, fundamentally. Hell, if it was Buddha it would just be an extension of "The middle path is the right one." Because it's Xanthe, though, we know what she means, because we know her values beforehand.
Amitabha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when certain views are espoused by the devil, it suggests that those views are unjust and evil.

Well that makes it obvious why the people who sympathize with beliefs projected onto Big D become so hostile toward the strip. If they're at all invested in the strip as far as inserting their own viewpoints, they become primarily associated with the character portrayed as the bad guy.

I guess the demonizing of the Sisterhood is no mystery.

(I am also Istancow)
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Phox wrote:
Actually what they did was the definition of domestic terrorism

Teaching history is terrorism?

Phox wrote:
What Devil Corp is doing is wrong, but what the Sisterhood is doing is just as bad.

Teaching history is as bad as brainwashing people into servitude?

Teaching histore Out Of Context isn't particularly good.
Who burned women [and men] as witches? Who ran the Inquisition? When Galileo declared the world to be round, how was he threatened into recanting, and by whom?

Now the big one: these things happened hundreds of years ago. If you compare them to how things are Right Now, you would probably say things are... better. Not perfect, maybe not even great [female circumcision comes to mind], but better.

Maybe those fembots could have come out of the factory, THEN rebelled by walking away from their "owners". The ranks of the Sisterhood would have swelled, and they could focus on the outstanding injustices. But no- it was better for the Fembots to destroy THEMSELVES in unfocused rage. And I'm sorry, but I can't consider that an acceptable form of rebellion: it's just too close to justifying suicide bombers.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so like i said

ShadowCell wrote:
man, some people just go full on stupid trying to figure out ways to twist this comic to demonize the sisterhood

they don't even have to be in the comic. it's spectacular. it is so deeply under so many people's skin now. ultimate trolling.
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, screw it. I abandon the topic. No use in having this conversation yet again.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sisterhood could have said, "The church did it!" Guess who runs the church?

Alice Paul being forcefed in prison because she was fighting for women's rights wasn't hundreds of years ago. Neither was that woman's death in Ireland which could have been prevented if she'd been allowed an abortion.

Also, how do you know the sisterhood decided the fembots were going to destroy themselves, and then decided that was okay?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: