welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-03-24: Fembot Factory 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is really going to get hard on anyone who is remotely male in the coming days.

Is this really what the patriarchy wants?

Like, were they planning this?

A rather big problem could develop from this for this, think of the PR problems.

Hurricane, that's what will best describe what is going to come from this.
Amitabha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt uneasy about the history sans-context as well.

But then how do we know that the only things uploaded to the factory programming doohickey were just those isolated concepts?

For all we know, the fembots could have been given an entire account of the history of civilization, and Tat only chose to show us those few images (he can only put so much stuff into a Sunday strip, you know).

In which case, the fembots had a much better base of knowledge.

But even with context, it still would have been jarring for them to find out that their previous programming had been misleading, and they probably still would have rebelled.

(I am also Istancow)
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not male, just patriarchy peope. Crim will be safe, for instance. If Slick's recent cookie win means anything, maybe he'll be okay too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, i think rothide needs to up his meds, i'm getting concerned
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patriarchy =/= all men

people wouldn't feel so victimized if they actually realized this.
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
guys, i think rothide needs to up his meds, i'm getting concerned

Here, Shadowcell, I actually have no real interest in what was going on.

In fact, I was just excited about an announcement from Capcom and wanted to see if anyone got my hidden message

Duckburg, no better way to start that sentance and pretty much a big clue as to what I was doing.
Kjralon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
The excrement just collided with the ventilator so hard.

hahahahahaha oh my god my stomach
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phox wrote:
Say what you like for The Devil, but his brand of evil is lawful and while it hurts people... he doesn't want them dead there isn't an opportunity for that way.

uh...you sure about this? because you know, once people the devil has influenced are dead, they go to hell and he gets to spend all eternity torturing them. as long as they are alive, they can repent and get out of his clutches.

personally, i think he's more like the tobacco industry. he doesn't actively set out to kill you, he just doesn't care if you die as a result of using his products. there's always someone else you can try to hook...
tricksterson

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joandark wrote:
Leohan wrote:
Can't wait to see the development of this storyline.

We probably won't. How many unresolved story-line's do we have at this point? I've lost count.

A Cray supercomputer would explode trying to calculate the number.
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
joandark wrote:
Leohan wrote:
Can't wait to see the development of this storyline.

We probably won't. How many unresolved story-line's do we have at this point? I've lost count.

A Cray supercomputer would explode trying to calculate the number.

Not that many, really. Sinfest archives go back to Jan 2000. 13 years * 365 strips = 4,745 strips.
Even if 75% are one-offs or undeveloped plots, that tops out at about four thousand...
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
uh...you sure about this? because you know, once people the devil has influenced are dead, they go to hell and he gets to spend all eternity torturing them. as long as they are alive, they can repent and get out of his clutches.

Even dead people can escape Sinfest Hell. Storytime Zombie did.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, well, tat just hasn't gotten around to the storyline where the devil hunts him down with evil robotic hellhounds.
lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
lol wrote:
No one has actually done that though.

Unfortunately a lot of people have. It's much more subtle than demonizing the Devil Corp but it's there.

Whenever anyone argues against the actions taken by the Sisterhood there are dozens of people that get up in arms for various reasons. No one may explicitly state that the Sisterhood can do no wrong but it's there in the intention behind peoples arguments.

Just look at the responses to my post. People are going to great lengths to attack me and what I've said. One even said that a little evil is necessary to defeat a larger evil.

I'm sorry but there are no blurry lines. Everyone has their own point of view of whats right and wrong. The lines are clearly defined for each individual. It's only when you bring all the views together and try to create a single unified view that the lines become blurry, but for each individual they're very clear cut. From my clearly defined lines, both the Devil Corp and the Sisterhood are in the wrong. Trying to justify your actions as a 'necessary evil' doesn't make you better than what you're fighting, that just means you're willing to sink down to their level and fight just as dirty. It's actually worse because you 'know' what you're doing is wrong and yet you're still doing it.

There's actually a very good possible that the 'evil' you're fighting thinks that they're the good guys doing whatever it is they can to make life a better place. If everyone was brainwashed and followed the same set of views an ideals we'd have world peace, we'd have the elimination of discrimination and prejudice. Hate crimes, extremism and radicals would disappear. It would be a utopian society.

One without free will, but still a peaceful society where everyone was accepted equally. Whether they were accepted equally bad or good is for debate but from the eyes of D-Man this Sisterhood is fighting against his attempt to create that Utopian society he desires so much.

Anyways I sort of went on a tangent there but basically I think both are wrong from my point of view. If you have to sink to your opponents level to beat them, then it means you are no better than they, regardless of how you try to justify it.

I've got to disagree here. People typically rise to their defense when others basically lie about the Sisterhood. You've seen a few examples in this very thread.

Not sure the "attempted murder" thing is set in stone there. Curly didn't come in and program them to kill their captors. We have no way to guess her intent, other than knowing that she has never tried to kill someone in the comic.

If we want to get real-world technical, there actually are justifiable homicides under the law too.

Last edited by lol on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol wrote:
Arthain wrote:
lol wrote:
No one has actually done that though.

Unfortunately a lot of people have. It's much more subtle than demonizing the Devil Corp but it's there.

Whenever anyone argues against the actions taken by the Sisterhood there are dozens of people that get up in arms for various reasons. No one may explicitly state that the Sisterhood can do no wrong but it's there in the intention behind peoples arguments.

Just look at the responses to my post. People are going to great lengths to attack me and what I've said. One even said that a little evil is necessary to defeat a larger evil.

I'm sorry but there are no blurry lines. Everyone has their own point of view of whats right and wrong. The lines are clearly defined for each individual. It's only when you bring all the views together and try to create a single unified view that the lines become blurry, but for each individual they're very clear cut. From my clearly defined lines, both the Devil Corp and the Sisterhood are in the wrong. Trying to justify your actions as a 'necessary evil' doesn't make you better than what you're fighting, that just means you're willing to sink down to their level and fight just as dirty. It's actually worse because you 'know' what you're doing is wrong and yet you're still doing it.

There's actually a very good possible that the 'evil' you're fighting thinks that they're the good guys doing whatever it is they can to make life a better place. If everyone was brainwashed and followed the same set of views an ideals we'd have world peace, we'd have the elimination of discrimination and prejudice. Hate crimes, extremism and radicals would disappear. It would be a utopian society.

One without free will, but still a peaceful society where everyone was accepted equally. Whether they were accepted equally bad or good is for debate but from the eyes of D-Man this Sisterhood is fighting against his attempt to create that Utopian society he desires so much.

Anyways I sort of went on a tangent there but basically I think both are wrong from my point of view. If you have to sink to your opponents level to beat them, then it means you are no better than they, regardless of how you try to justify it.

I've got to disagree here. People typically rise to their defense when others basically lie about the Sisterhood. You've seen a few examples in this very thread.

Not sure the "attempted murder" thing isn't set in stone there. Curly didn't come in and program them to kill their captors. We have no way to guess her intent, other than knowing that she has never tried to kill someone in the comic.

If we want to get real-world technical, there actually are justifiable homicides under the law too.

Racecars are needed to catch up to that logic. Justifiable homicide for making a sexual aid device... no court in the world would accept that. But still, even if they weren't planning on that to happen, their about to get a rather violent and MAYBE deadly thing on their hands.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a sexual aid device can think, then is it still merely a device? Or should it not be accorded the fundamental rights and freedoms that are the due of thinking beings? If such be the case, then Milton and company are guilty of making slaves, not devices--something very much in keeping with Devil Corp.'s mode of operating in the past--and then the case for a justifiable attempt at homicide becomes far less trivial.

But, wait! Fembot and her kind don't think, right? They're simply fictitious characters--plot devices, in fact. I'd be slightly surprised (albeit only slightly) if anyone here were to try to rationally argue otherwise. And, so the questions of intelligence, rights, and justifiable assault or homicide all become meaningless. We're not discussing people; we are discussing metaphors! And, despite the absurd lengths to which some folks have gone in their attempts to figuratively slaughter the metaphors presented in Sinfest, no literary device is capable of experiencing anything, let alone pain or death, and so the whole argument devolves into utter ridiculousness.

My advice: stop taking it so seriously that you begin to make yourself look tremendously foolish; just sit back, read, enjoy, and appreciate Tat's artistry in summoning up emotions and thoughts that give his audience pause for contemplation.

(Please note that I have not named any contributor to these forums in this post. If you, Dear Reader, believe my remarks to be directed at you specifically, then perhaps you need to re-evaluate your actions and responses to determine why you should fear that an open criticism would be directed at you personally. And if you do not believe my remarks were directed at you, then either you have missed the point, or you had no need to read what I felt compelled to write. To those of the latter-most group, I apologize for wasting bandwidth.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: