welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3/25 dudetron
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg she's so cute with those woolen clothing. I love it so.
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, Tat's got time for this running gag, which never goes anywhere and probably never will, but he can't be bothered to show us how Seymour and Li'l E's conversation turned out. Oh well.
jrdelirio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... Alien Dude was just a wee bit too late in his quest

(anyway Big D would have told him that if he wanted some sex objects he had to pay for them like everyone else... )

(and Big G could have told Big D that the problem with intelligent creations is that they tend to go ahead and do their own thing regardless of your instructions)
John in Tronna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else think alien dude looks like Seymour in a fedora?
ktern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and with lopsided arms? sure

that could just be how anatomy is on dudetron, i guess
wobster109

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. You can tell a new character's become part of the cast when they get an alientopia / day in the life / bat signal strip. Smile
Drowemos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh*

I know I am going to get a ton of hate over this but I have to ask this question. I am really not trying to troll here I am just kind of curious about other perceptions. But no disclaimer is going to protect me on this one so here we go...

Is anyone else bothered by the uniformity of all the Sinfest women at this point? The all seem to be becoming the same character. An ardent feminist crusading against the injustice of the patriarch who doesn't need anything because she is so strong and independent.

Devil girls aside as they are starting to have the same motivations and personality. They are all Xanthe.

I don't really have anything against Xanthe. She is a little dull... OK she is amazingly dull but that is fine when there are other character around to provide personality. The Terminator is fine as long as there is a Sarah Connor.

It just feels like many of the "strong characters" - female are becoming "strong females" - weak character.

Doesn't this bother you? Or is the message and subtext of Sinfest more important to you than the "strength" of an individual character? Jesus was not a very well developed character in the bible from a literary standpoint but he is very effective in getting a point across.

And yes yes, I know. I am a dudebro who is secretly trying to oppress women into my selfish sexual gender rolls. Can we assume you have vanquished me gotten all your cookies and move on to the question itself.

Do you like the convergence of character or does it bother you? Do you come to sinfest for the theme or the characters? Is there something I am missing here about the nature of the comic?

Obviously it bothers me a bit but I feel I am in the minority on this and I am curious about my minority status.
lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drowemos wrote:

Is anyone else bothered by the uniformity of all the Sinfest women at this point? The all seem to be becoming the same character. An ardent feminist crusading against the injustice of the patriarch who doesn't need anything because she is so strong and independent.

Devil girls aside as they are starting to have the same motivations and personality. They are all Xanthe.

It doesn't bother me because it hasn't actually happened. The feminist storyline affects them, but pretending they've turned into Xanthe is simply that: pretending.

Fuschia, Fembot, Pebbles, Monique, Sapphire, Minique, Blue, Lime....they are pretty damned different from Xanthe. Honestly, the only people similar to Xanthe are her Sisterhood sisters, and they are tertiary characters. The closest that the "regular" girls come to Xanthe is maybe Monique, and Monique is still a more emotional girl than Xanthe.

Xanthe is the Xanthiest Xanthe that ever did Xanthe.
Leohan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drowemos wrote:
Jesus was not a very well developed character in the bible from a literary standpoint but he is very effective in getting a point across.

Reread your Bible. Jesus is a tremendously complex character.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Drowemos wrote:
Jesus was not a very well developed character in the bible from a literary standpoint but he is very effective in getting a point across.

I think "tremendously" is going a bit far, unless you're referring to a mashup of all four accounts at once, which seems rather poor form.
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Leohan wrote:
Drowemos wrote:

I think "tremendously" is going a bit far, unless you're referring to a mashup of all four accounts at once, which seems rather poor form.

Actually it was four people recounting an event based on their own recollection of the account. Also taking into events based on their life to decide which things to talk about.

Though it is believed that Mark was heavily influenced in his account of the events by the already written books by Luke and Matthew.

NOTE: this is taking into account that these were eyewitness accounts written shortly after the time these events took place, and not that these were written hundreds of years later as just stories.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't just one way to be a 'strong woman'. In fact, you could have a story filled with nothing but 'strong women' and they could all be vastly different.

Try again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:

Though it is believed that Mark was heavily influenced in his account of the events by the already written books by Luke and Matthew.

In fact is the other way aroung. The three synoptics gosspels (Matthew, Luke and Mark), Matt and Luke used Mark and "Q texts" as inspiration, according to the Theory of Q by Christian Weisse.

Drowemos wrote:
Do you like the convergence of character or does it bother you? Do you come to sinfest for the theme or the characters? Is there something I am missing here about the nature of the comic?

And here you are talking about a two hundred years long debate about the nature of art. Is ar a medium of expresion or a end by itself? The HARD confrontation between feminist and no-feminist in sinfest come by that.

For almost a decade Sinfest was a end by itself, a humorous comic with no more ambition than having fun poking around eternal themes like religion and desire and actuality like the obama election and so.

Since the middle of 2011 sinfest flipped like a coin and shows the other side, the art as medium of expresion the authors ideas, concretely about feminism: the place of woman in society, the self perception of women, the false binary nature of humanity, sentient toasters and so.

This changed the stream of the webcomic, shifting it from a delightful mainstream comic (I really loved the crim-foosh storyline) to a ideological exposure of iniquity (I really love how sinfest makes me think now).

Which side of the coin is better? Medium or End by Itself? Welcome to the two century art debate ^^

Be compassionate
ktern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much anything beats the election arcs, especially 2008's

also these things shouldn't be mutually exclusive. think about a horribly written essay with a profound point. that's not likely to be well-accepted, especially because you CAN have quality in both aspects. why should it be otherwise for other media

that said recent sinfest isn't short on entertainment value either sooo
bitflipper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkhron wrote:
Which side of the coin is better? Medium or End by Itself? Welcome to the two century art debate ^^

It should be pointed out that the nature of coins is such that one gets both sides automatically when one picks up a coin. Asking which side is "better" is akin to attempting to define precisely the sound of yellow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: