welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-03-28: Just Like Him 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: 2013-03-28: Just Like Him 2 Reply with quote

Who was it that said that Theo's using words that he thinks are cool without knowing the meaning? XD I imagine some regular superhero with a huge pimp hat at this point.

I love Minique's face in panel 3.

The fights against yourself are always the hardest ones, though.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I

AM

BATPIMP
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
I

AM

BATPIMP

MY PARENTS ARE...

Actually, what WOULD Batpimp's parents be?

/And actually, Vigilantism is a crime, too.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
sunember123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
I

AM

BATPIMP

You forgot THE GODDAMN.
joandark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love panel 3. Just that look she gives. The "I can't believe anyone I know could say something that made so little sense" look.
ktern

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2013-03-28: Just Like Him 2 Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
The fights against yourself are always the hardest ones, though.

join the

*shades*

club
Adyon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God! I laughed so hard at this. His "I want to be JUST LIKE HIM!" after her "You have no idea what you're talking about, do you?" line was so well delivered.

Also, I agree...her face in panel 3 is awesome.

Always fun to see Tat poke fun at himself and his writing. And honestly, nothing wrong with saying that sometimes one goes about doing things without knowing for sure what they're doing. Heck, so many huge stories have been written this way. Flying by the seat of your pants is a good way to make it fun for you as the author too. Wink Sometimes, you get ideas and change them later as new thoughts come in.

I think I need to save this one to re-post every time we get too in-depth about how he intended the reality zone to be.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That comic sounds amusing. I think I'd actually give it a chance.
SA_Penguin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a hero PRETENDING to be bad - as a cover?

I would call him the Blue Wasp because Green Hornet is taken.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A superhero that fights himself constantly. Epic brain battle.
Ronald

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:

Well, there's a fine line between vigilantism and good citizenship. I'm pretty sure it's totally legal to intervene in a crime in progress and detain the criminal in, for all intent and purpose, a citizen's arrest.

Of course, there's no shortage of "super-heroes" who kill criminals, which is a much bigger crime than pimping.

Maybe if Captain Thunderpimp and His Harem of Justice (consisting of perfect-bodied nubile nymphs who never age or complain, perhaps?) appear in a Sunday strip we'll finally get some dialogue in one of those again. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Felgraf wrote:

Well, there's a fine line between vigilantism and good citizenship. I'm pretty sure it's totally legal to intervene in a crime in progress and detain the criminal in, for all intent and purpose, a citizen's arrest.

Of course, there's no shortage of "super-heroes" who kill criminals, which is a much bigger crime than pimping.

Maybe if Captain Thunderpimp and His Harem of Justice (consisting of perfect-bodied nubile nymphs who never age or complain, perhaps?) appear in a Sunday strip we'll finally get some dialogue in one of those again. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Indeed, but I would argue that heroes (even once that don't, well, KILL) ARE still on the other side of that line. It's one thing to intervene in a crime in progress. It's another thing to, well, uh, spend millions of dollars building a high-tech crimefighting lab and investigating, apprehending, and beating up criminals.

That said, a lot of places sort of work around this. (I LOVE, for instance, how City of Heroes dealt with it: By making supers licensed parts of the system, etc)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love his winning logic!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Indeed, but I would argue that heroes (even once that don't, well, KILL) ARE still on the other side of that line. It's one thing to intervene in a crime in progress. It's another thing to, well, uh, spend millions of dollars building a high-tech crimefighting lab and investigating, apprehending, and beating up criminals.

Well, the end result of all of that is still either intervening in a crime in progress or capturing a wanted fugitive. Usually, either the criminal has escaped prison (which of course is in itself a crime) and the hero's looking for him/her or the criminal is conducting a crime spree and the hero needs to figure out where the criminal will strike next. For all intent and purpose, it's a citizen's arrest either way: Locate and detain the lawbreaker. Super-heroes very rarely attack criminals who were legally released from prison and have committed no crime since. Criminals act, heroes react.

Depending on the situation, beating up criminals might qualify as self-defense, and that's not illegal, either. If a criminal pulls a gun on a hero, it's totally acceptable for the hero to do whatever's necessary to keep the criminal from shooting the hero and to keep the criminal from shooting anyone else too (when defending someone else's life, it is entirely legal to use just as much force as you'd need to use to defend your own life). You'd have to prove that the hero used undue force to detain and subdue the criminals, to defend his or her life and/or the lives of bystanders, and that's a very subjective matter. It's a case by case call. It depends entirely on how the scene is written.

Theoretically, the hero could even intimidate the criminals into confessing, precisely because the hero isn't a police officer and is thus under no obligation to read the criminals their Miranda rights and so on. As far as the cops are concerned, any confession that the cops themselves didn't force out of the criminals is valid. Whether the criminals deliver an unsolicited confession because of an attack of conscience or because of an attack of the hero, because they're terrified that the creature of the night will come back to get them if they don't, hey, it's all the same to the cops AFAIK.

"Okay, so you're sure you don't want to invoke your right to --"
"Yes, yes, for God's sake, lock me up before that lunatic in the mask comes back! Protect me! Protect me!"

Even if the criminals gets a grip on themselves later and claim they only confessed under duress, because the hero terrorized them into it, well, it's their word against the hero's, and which one do you think the cops will be pre-disposed to believe? The cops want to lock up criminals, they're not going to knock themselves out looking for technicalities to allow the criminals to walk free, that's the public defender's job, and if the public defender can't get the hero into court to question him or her about the allegedly forced confession? Gee, that's a shame but it's sure not the cops' problem. The hero is under no obligation to prove that he or she didn't commit a criminal act (i.e. intimidation of the criminals into confessing, and depending on the situation, even that might not be illegal; if the hero just told the criminals, in a super-scary voice, to confess their crimes or, implicitly, face the hero's further wrath, well, so what? you can tell anybody to do anything, that doesn't mean they're obliged to do it), the D.A. is under the obligation to prove that he or she DID -- that's what "innocent until proven guilty" means -- and that in itself would be an entirely separate case from locking up the criminals who made the confession to begin with.

Even in the often cited scenario when a hero binds criminals and leaves them for the police without anyone else having witnessed the specific crime that the hero interrupted, how likely is it that the criminals aren't already wanted on other charges? The criminals thus stopped are more likely than not repeat offenders who might be violating parole just by hanging out together, the cops can lock them up just for that, and do you think the cops aren't going to look for evidence that will justify locking the criminals up even longer?

In situations like these, don't look at what the hero did, look at what the criminal did. Because everything that the hero does is in direct response to what the criminal did.

And if somebody wants to spend millions of dollars on a high-tech crimefighting lab, well, that's not illegal either. Hey, it's their money, right? Smile

(I'm pretty sure about all of this, anyway.)
bitflipper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, what you will find, Ronald, is that the laws for assault still apply even in cases of self-defense and defense of a third party; hitting someone who is threatening you may be justifiable in a court of law, but it doesn't mean you won't be charged with assault for doing so. It just means that you might not be found guilty when your case is heard, due to extenuating circumstances which, in the eyes of the court, justified the use of force in order to prevent a greater wrong being done. This is why vigilantism is illegal; physically accosting another person is still assault, even when the aggressor feels justified in doing so.

While many jurisdictions world-wide recognize common-law arrest--also known in some locales as "citizen's arrest"--most note that doing so must use only sufficient force in proportion to the crime alleged upon the arrestee, and the arrestor is often answerable to strict liability when it comes to any harm to the arrestee's person, rights, or property. In other words, if you stop a thief in the commission of a theft and physically detain that person against their will, they can actually file a criminal complaint of unlawful detention against you, and you, too, can wind up in jail. Private citizens do not have the authority nor enjoy the protections of sworn law enforcement officers in these regards. Your help may be lauded and appreciated, but you still place yourself at risk of lawsuits and possible criminal charges when you attempt to act like a law enforcement officer.

Most jurisdictions also have very specific wording and instructions for how a common-law arrest is to be conducted, how the detainee is to be notified of the arrest, what limits the arresting person must not transcend, and how the detainee is to be remanded into the custody of law after the arrest. Saying "I'm Batman!" and taking a swing at someone just doesn't cut it anywhere other than in a movie or a comic book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: