welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No such thing. [4/3/2013]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkhron wrote:
Rothide wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Rothide wrote:
Valerie wrote:
Rothide wrote:
True, but being a decent person, and being an ally, are not the same thing.

In this case, they most certainly are.

But again, not the same person.

...Yes, they are. That is what I just said.

I mean slick isn't sleaze, there was no ally there today.

Yup but Xanthe doesn't know that, she only saw Slick turning his back to her.

Okay time for a complete reword of my thoughts, no fights please.

Even if xanthe waned slick as an ally, her actions toward him could be seen as not wanting him as an ally, and she never came out to ask for it of him anyway. And since slick wasn't there him being a decent person doesnt have any weight on being an ally cause he was not there.

Or in more simpler terms, you should not expect people you've treated as an annoyance or worse enemy to come rushing to help.
bitflipper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fair point, but, in counter to it:

Is it a reasonable assumption to say that Xanthe would recognize one of Grannie's cookies and have a reasonably good idea why one of those cookies would have been given to Slick, who never had been given one before (in canon, at least)?

If so, would that not be a reasonable basis to look on Slick as a potential ally?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Slick called himself an ally. He announced it without provocation. He chose the label.

Xanthe saw a self-proclaimed ally join the enemy crowd.

Based on this and the previous, I'd say she thought he was serious, and now she is very hurt.

I wish it were clearer whether Slick and Sleaze are noticed as different characters by the other characters, because that might help in this case. I do enjoy the confusion, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Slick's words: "I guess we're like allies now, hmm?"

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4585

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, just eat your cookie, Stripey! Razz
Rothide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

Oh, he did, my mistake. My arguements is infactual, she had every right to think he was an ally.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Or in more simpler terms, you should not expect people you've treated as an annoyance or worse enemy to come rushing to help.

It's less about the fact he didn't help, but more about the fact that from her POV he acted as if he did not see anything. He acted as if there wasn't someone having things thrown at and horrible things said and shouted at right in front of him. He acted as if there was nothing wrong with the scene in front of him. From her POV she saw Slick - someone who had earlier declared himself to be her ally without any provocation from her at all - in the crowd of men yelling at her and throwing stuff at her, watching, and then acting as if he didn't see anything. Acting as if he didn't care. Basically proving to her that he doesn't care about the well-being of anyone but himself.

And again, she's not aware of the fact that it wasn't truly Slick - but rather, Sleaze. She would have appreciated his help, of course, but she's hurt by the fact he doesn't seem to care about her well-being at all or even remotely see anything wrong with a bunch of men ganging up to demonize a young woman.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:

Though I'm confused as to whether or not Slick was actually involved or not, since... Slick and Kcils/Sleaze seem *connected*, but are they the same person? Is one in control of the other's actions?

('Course, I suppose Xanthe could just have been mistaken/misinterpreted what she saw.)

The Jury is still out on whether that's what Slick looks like in reality when Sleaze takes over or if this is just Tat's way of telling us the audience that Sleaze is in control of Slick's body. Xanthe wears the decoder glasses... which actually tells us nothing again since both ways work still.

Xanthe really Did feel that Slick was making progress, meeting Sleaze was pretty crushing.

bitflipper wrote:
Rothide wrote:
I mean slick isn't sleaze, there was no ally there today.

True, but why would Xanthe know that and be able to make that distinction? She has no reason to be familiar with Slick's alter ego. Heck, Slick himself doesn't seem too terribly aware of his nightwalking self!

Eyeglass decoders and I can't really see her being this devastated because of the Devils smear campaign. That's expected, this wasn't.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Oh, he did, my mistake. My arguements is infactual, she had every right to think he was an ally.

Thank you for admitting your mistake. I'm just glad it wasn't further in the archives, because my skills at searching are bad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:
Valerie wrote:
I have a few male friends who are interested in equality and generally support it, but now and then they'll say something stupid. One in particular is a man who is certain that homosexuality is a choice. He's fine with gay people getting married and adopting kids, but he's positive that they can choose who they find attractive, and that's a harmful viewpoint to have, so it shook me a little to find that out about him.

(I'm still friends with him. At the end of the day, we have the same goals.)

I sort of wonder if such people aren't all some shade of bisexual (as in your friend, not gay folks.) They know they could have the hots for someone their same sex, but take the fact that they're more attracted to members of the opposite sex as some sort of choice they made.

^ Probably this. I think that there are "pure" heterosexuals and homosexuals, but many of us are somewhere in between. If a woman who has until then dated only men were to feel some attraction towards women, she could choose to act on it or she could choose not to. Only "pure" hetero/homo people really have no choice at all.
sammich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
tricksterson wrote:
I also think that she never has given Slick a chance.

I don't know, the fact she didn't immediately shut him down when he got that cookie and was going on about how they were allies seems to imply she did give him a chance. Though her remark did somewhat imlpy that she did not appreciate the fact he was making a big deal out of calling out sexism once.

Meanwhile, Slick is still likely under the impression that they're pals now. Ooh, quite a dramabomb is going to drop! This is going to hurt my dear old shipper heart...

Every time she has interacted with Slick, including the cookie incident, couldn't really be interpreted by Slick as reaching out, though. At best, she was reluctantly accepting that he did good one time, again from Slick's perspective.

Miss Magenta wrote:
tricksterson wrote:
But her reaction also has me shipping them now.

HA!!! HA HA!!! HA!!! YES. JOIN US.

JOIN THE SHADES OF BLOND SIDE...

After this strip, I don't think there is much room to reject it. Slick hasn't really shown any romantic interest in Xanthe, but Xanthe's reaction to Sleaze is highly suggestive of romantic feelings. Sleaze was present at the angry mob, but that didn't mean he was actively participating in it or agreeing with it and Xanthe didn't attempt to disambiguate that. Barring a revelation in her past that would explain it, her reaction is more like someone who was attracted to someone they nevertheless identified as a bad person, had their hopes raised when that person did good once, then crushed those hopes shortly thereafter.

In short, X&S<3 4 LYFE
Vancore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammich wrote:
Sleaze was present at the angry mob, but that didn't mean he was actively participating in it or agreeing with it and Xanthe didn't attempt to disambiguate that.

Yes! Always look on the Bright side of... No... no... um no.. sorry.

Its going to take a lot more work then saying "Hey I wasn't a part of that" to make things better.
crayven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This statement "no male allies" is pure b/s, considering Tat himself is a man, and most people here keep pushing the ideas of feminism are guys.

I don't agree with their views but that doesn't matter.

Also why did she see Slick? It's like getting mugged by a masked robber or a stranger and seeing your neighbor or your boyfriend every time.

I think Xanthe has issues.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
This statement "no male allies" is pure b/s, considering Tat himself is a man

Just because she's making a generalization in a state of emotional distress does not necessarily mean that she truly believes it - it especially does not mean Tat himself believes it either.

crayven wrote:
Also why did she see Slick? It's like getting mugged by a masked robber or a stranger and seeing your neighbor or your boyfriend every time.

Because he was literally standing in the crowd?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: