welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No such thing. [4/3/2013]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rothide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cactuar wrote:
Rothide wrote:

I also don't ship people if they have a cannon shipping, and I dont do yuri/yaoi, specially when they show no signs of homosexual or bisexual tendencies.

Not to be confrontational, but do you ship het ships when they show no signs of heterosexual tendencies? Or are you only applying that special criteria to QUILTBAG relationships?

FOR EXAMPLE, with the exception of Sanji's over the top displays of affection for every lady in his general vicinity, the main characters on One Piece are pretty much 100% platonic with each other. Which I actually appreciate about a show in an era when everything ever has to have some lame romance shoehorned into it.

So I can assume you would not feel comfortable shipping any of those characters, even if you thought they 'clicked,' since they have not shown themselves specifically to be heterosexual?

Oh no, if the girls a lesbian, she stays a lesbian in my shipping, though as stated, if its cannon I don't mess it up... cept if its Matt/Sora... fuck you season 2...

Though when its platonic, I usually ship what I am... I would think most people would do that... if your bisexual you probably don't care just personalities, and if your homosexual... you my prefer male/male or female/female, but they might also do heterosexual.

I just never really ship homosexual relationships or write about them because I have no clue how to write about that stuff.
Mercian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:

All of that said, I have no problem with whatever label men want to choose for themselves. It's just a little confusing when it comes to what I should call them, when talking about men-who-support-feminism as a group.

Tangentially related. I just like posting pictures of Alan Cumming with a zipper on his head.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
sammich wrote:
Sam wrote:
as a Male Ally, I feel as if I should comment on this thread, but ensure that in doing so I am not speaking over women on the subject of feminism or appropriating life experiences which are not mine. And my comment is: fartzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The idea of male allies is terrible. It implies only women can be feminists and men can't independently influence feminist movements, making men subordinate in a way that most feminists would probably find morally repugnant.

As a female feminist, this seems like something I should consider. I've always referred to men as "allies," but I also call them "feminists." My husband, for example, is a feminist. I also call him a male ally for feminism. I guess I feel like the terms are interchangeable, but maybe that's wrong of me.

Now as a male bodied cis individual who is bearing witness to the patriarchy-induced struggle of female-bodied cis, genderqueer, and other trans* persons harmed by the assimilationist mentality of the gender binary and the hetero, cis male-ist power structure and not at all intending to erase the experiences of those who intend to speak in their spaces without the attachment of my privilege, I would like to respectfully add:

farrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttttzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also I never dreamed of the day but indeed it has come

squidbunny is sane. the rest of us fucks are hopeless.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything I ship is either m/m or f/f

or f/m, I guess

...or f/f/f.

or f/m/m
or f/f/m
or m/m/m

Pretty sure that covers everything.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allies is usually a group of people who support another group, but are actually not part of a group. So feminist allies would be people who are not feminists but support those who are.

Rothide, many other people ship characters in different ways than just what matches their orientation. I don't do much shipping myself, as I think romance overshadows every other aspect of storytelling these days and that itdoesn't have to. But when I do, I am quite happy to ship heterosexual, bisexual, and homosexual relationships. The default for me is not a gay relationship, despite the fact I am gay.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
also I never dreamed of the day but indeed it has come

squidbunny is sane. the rest of us fucks are hopeless.

I am full of hope!

...no wait, that's burritos.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Allies is usually a group of people who support another group, but are actually not part of a group. So feminist allies would be people who are not feminists but support those who are.

Rothide, many other people ship characters in different ways than just what matches their orientation. I don't do much shipping myself, as I think romance overshadows every other aspect of storytelling these days and that itdoesn't have to. But when I do, I am quite happy to ship heterosexual, bisexual, and homosexual relationships. The default for me is not a gay relationship, despite the fact I am gay.

Im just saying I prefer hetero, I don't usually go with the other two because it doesn't really appeal to me.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but you also said you think most other people do it that way too. I'm saying, in my personal experience that's not the case. But we belong to different social circles, so it's not like stats or anytning.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Yeah, but you also said you think most other people do it that way too. I'm saying, in my personal experience that's not the case. But we belong to different social circles, so it's not like stats or anytning.

I understand I am mistaken then.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will ship anything.

toaster/wrench, so hot
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
toaster/wrench, so hot

Heretical Rants wrote:

Pretty sure that covers everything.

wait no yeah I forgot all of the combinations with something genderless

Rainbow Dash x Kitchen Sink is my OTP, at least in the pony fandom, dontcha know

...but was that kitchen sink gendered male in that ship fic? I don't remember

whatever

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Thenadathor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just like that now there's a sinfest strip where Xanthe says something we aren't expected by the author to assume is literally true. I don't like deus ex machina in my stories.
Ronald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thenadathor wrote:
I just like that now there's a sinfest strip where Xanthe says something we aren't expected by the author to assume is literally true. I don't like deus ex machina in my stories.

That's what she's been doing all along. That's what all of the characters have been doing all along. I have never presumed that everything that any character says is intended by Tat to be taken as literally true. Not even the character of Tat himself.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I would say that I generally refer to myself as an ally because I can never fully understand what it is to be judged, and attacked for my gender, but man this thread has gone so fucking bananas that I'm better off saying that I WOULDN'T SHIP MY FEMINISM WITH MY GIRLFRIEND'S FEMINISM BECAUSE SHE SUFFERS THE EFFECTS OF INEQUALITY ALL THE TIME I.E. IN THE FORM OF CHOWDERHEADS YELLING OUT OF THEIR WEINER MOBILES ABOUT WHAT THEY WANT TO PUT IN HER TITS WHERAS I SUFFER THE EFFECTS THROUGH HER SUFFERING THE EFFECTS RATHER THAN COPPING THEM MYSELF AND THIS WHOLE FUCKING CONVERSATION HAS DESCENDED INTO DISCUSSING WHY ROTHIDE PREFERS NOT TO SHIP CHARACTERS IN HOMOSEXUAL PAIRINGS I MEAN JESUS FUCKING CHRIST
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: