welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rationally speaking... 4/2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gibson22

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are unknown variables here, many of which would not be concerning. A lot of stuff is important to work out before getting married, but if a couple doesn't and the stuff comes up later, it is important to work it all out fairly. One issue in marriage is queerness. Many older trans people and gay people come out late in life. The situations are hard on both parties, and it can be really tragic. What I've heard from women who were married to gay men is that they feel so foolish and upset, because they thought this other person was attracted to them all these years - and though they still love the other person, they have trouble dealing with their feelings. (I'm not diminishing the other side. I've been there, and oh how bad that is.)
I don't know that this furthers the discussion any, but it makes me sad and I want other people to be sad with me. Sad

I think it does further the conversation. I don't mean any harm. I really don't. And I do know that my opinions would be better received if I showed the courtesy of researching how you feel. If you have anything that you would like me to read, please make a recommendation. I haven't mentioned this to Mouse, but I have a two-day off weekend this week, and I feel like reading. Not just any reading either, but some real-honest-to-goodness thought provoking stuff.

I honestly come on here to just debate or have theological discussions at times, but sometimes in doing so I might offend or say something hurtful by accident. I feel that if I show some incentive or some honest desire to understand the point of view of someone else on here, that would go lengths to relate to them. Also, I don't like the idea of bullying at all, and I don't want to be a bully.

You aren't just strangers on the internet. You are people, and I should be more considerate. So, sorry for being sappy. But honestly, give me something good to read over so I can report back to you guys! Very Happy

Note: Edited so Stripes' comment wouldn't be taken out of context.

...and to also mention that the new metaphor is a darn good and well fitting metaphor.
Yrvani

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Caitlin Moran - How To Be A Woman. It's new stuff, funny stuff and should also be thought provoking enough. Smile
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant my example about women who unknowingly marry gay men. I don't know if that illustrated anything related to the conversation.

One book I revently read ws 'Cinderella Ate My Daughter.' I didn't like everything about it, such as when the author said the internet was worse than other media for girls because there is less room for originality. To that I say she probably wasn't looking at te right websites.

Anyway, the book is about a feminist raising a daughter, and about the rise of pink, princess, and super gender coded everything. It explains a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
mouse wrote:
yeah, with some people i should know better than to try. if they can't even take the risk of responding to a post, why would i think they would take the risk of actually thinking? and learning?

Well, you will be surprised to hear (from me, anyway) that you were right. I rechecked my sources to find anything. The only thing I could come up with is that some of those colleges MIGHT have extensive nursing programs and that goes towards the graduate total, but I couldn't get a good enough look at their programs to find out.

So, yep, you were right. Except for pay, the medical field is starting to become more equal in representation.

Sorry to those who were expecting a show.

that's ok - sometimes finding out people actually paid attention to what you said is enough.

as for recommended reading - i'm not real organized on this, but you might check out gail collins' when everything changed, which is about the modern (1960+) women's rights movement (but she does give you some historical perspective about, among other things, the whole men-as-breadwinner thing).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: