welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1091, 1092, 1093 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-I learned today that my cat, whom my mom had been taking care of since I left for college, passed away yesterday.
+She lived for 18 years, so she had a long, happy life.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about that, tiab.

oddly enough, i just heard the same about i cat i used to have - except she (the cat) was living with neighbors, she moved out when i adopted another cat. she was also 18, and lived a long life on her own terms.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
Michael wrote:
Hey Dogen, I'm just getting round to reading your posts

Dogen wrote:
We've survived for years without mods... they're really overrated. Back "in the day" (see, now we'll get to talk about Keen like we used to talk about "when the forums were yellow") we just beat trolls soundly about the face and head and then ignored them.

We don't really need rating systems (we know who the idiots are) and karma (in this sense) is entirely subjective and thus open to as much abuse as "moderatorship". Having mod'd for talkcity.com "professionally" in the past, I'll just say that less oversight is better than more, IMHO, and there's a reason I'm not there but have stayed here. The forum will sink or float based on the quality of our combined contributions, not the ability of a few individuals to keep the extremes at bay. That just guarantees us mediocrity.

My $.02 Wink

Could you elaborate on this a little? I'd like to know a little more about your background / interests before I consider your $.02 cents in more detail.

We have a rating system afaik: it's the giddy thread. & karma too, it's called the Sinnies ... awwww damn ... I knew I'd forgotten to do something ...

And Tat can kick out anyone that the regulars can't handle, right? Seems like the forum handles itself well enough, since it's still alive after so long (And not in the 'One post every couple months where one or two posters reminisce about the good old days when the forum was way alive, and an occasional other jumps in to say the forum is still going strong.')

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at my mom's over New Years for about a week and got to spend some quality time with the kitty. It was nice, but I had a strong suspicion that it would be the last time I saw her. I don't much care for the fact that I was right. I'll miss her, but in spite of that and my failed marriage, I'm honestly feeling pretty good about my life right now. How messed up is that?
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very messed up - it means you recognize mistakes in the past, have come to terms with them, and have started moving on. Sadness for things you cannot control is useful self indulgence but something that must be put aside when life moves on.

- Broken dryer.
+ Can totally fix it: the padding that keeps it centered and balanced is worn.
+/- It is much easier to take apart a dryer than we initially thought... so we took it apart much more than we had to which was a pain.
- Decided to fix it more thoroughly so I can't do a load of laundry tonight.
+ These appliances have lasted since 2008 in my care and they were secondhand then. Awesomesauce (even though I kinda want the energy efficient ones but yay not spending the money on it!).

Finnegan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother and his partner gave birth to the first grandchild in either family. So I suppose I'm a first time uncle, which while everyone else seems sooo excited about, it sort of terrifies me on multiple levels. And maybe it's just because I am somewhat socially awkward, but whenever any one hears about it, they congratulate me. I already have trouble with praise and compliments that I may have legitimately earned, so how am I supposed to react when someone congratulates me for the completely null-role I played in helping my bother knock-up his partner and the ensuing pregnancy and birth? say, thank you?
I don't see that I have anything to be congratulated for nor is it my place to accept 'congratulations' on their behalf.
The only appropriate responses I will be accepting from now on when I share this news are: awesome!, cool/sweet news, bro!, nice!,
oh, yeah! your brother must've knocked that bitch up HARD!, and if we have to be crass about it: a brodude fistbumb.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the GRE, might have been fun if not for the cost involved. Won't get the written back for two weeks, but 168 verbal, 159 quantitative (foiled by fucking basic geometry).

Side note: weirdest damn scoring system I've ever encountered.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ~98th and ~82nd percentiles, respectively. I don't know what kind of grad school you're looking into, but those scores should certainly help your chances.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Mr Gary wrote:
Michael wrote:
Hey Dogen, I'm just getting round to reading your posts

Dogen wrote:
We've survived for years without mods... they're really overrated. Back "in the day" (see, now we'll get to talk about Keen like we used to talk about "when the forums were yellow") we just beat trolls soundly about the face and head and then ignored them.

We don't really need rating systems (we know who the idiots are) and karma (in this sense) is entirely subjective and thus open to as much abuse as "moderatorship". Having mod'd for talkcity.com "professionally" in the past, I'll just say that less oversight is better than more, IMHO, and there's a reason I'm not there but have stayed here. The forum will sink or float based on the quality of our combined contributions, not the ability of a few individuals to keep the extremes at bay. That just guarantees us mediocrity.

My $.02 Wink

Could you elaborate on this a little? I'd like to know a little more about your background / interests before I consider your $.02 cents in more detail.

We have a rating system afaik: it's the giddy thread. & karma too, it's called the Sinnies ... awwww damn ... I knew I'd forgotten to do something ...

And Tat can kick out anyone that the regulars can't handle, right? Seems like the forum handles itself well enough, since it's still alive after so long (And not in the 'One post every couple months where one or two posters reminisce about the good old days when the forum was way alive, and an occasional other jumps in to say the forum is still going strong.')

Especially since the post Michael quoted (in response to me complaining about slow response times) was from 2006. Wink
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
That's ~98th and ~82nd percentiles, respectively. I don't know what kind of grad school you're looking into, but those scores should certainly help your chances.

Hm. Good to know. Trying to assess a 130-170 scale with no reference is just a bit... weird. I'm just looking at returning to OSU, hopefully this will help my odds since my GPA is technically under the requirement.

Still a bit disappointed by the math score though.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+Spring is finally here!
-(Sort of! It's more like we skipped to summer!)
+Things are finally blooming!
+This includes Bradford Pears, a popular, pretty, white-flowered decorative tree
-For a certain % of the population, these trees smell like... I'm not sure how to describe it. Rotting crab meat? It's a weird, sickly-sweet smell.
-I am a part of that percentage
-OH GOD THEY'RE EVERYWHERE.

Arc Tempest wrote:
Took the GRE, might have been fun if not for the cost involved. Won't get the written back for two weeks, but 168 verbal, 159 quantitative (foiled by fucking basic geometry).

Side note: weirdest damn scoring system I've ever encountered.

Oh wow they've COMPLETELY changed how the scores are reported, I think. (Since Dogen said that was 98th and 82nd percentile!). Er, rather, how they're tallied, if 180 is the top. Crap, I hope my advice wasn't counter-productive.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, in the town I grew up in (and a few where I am now, but way less) these white flowering trees are super popular but they smell totally awful. I don't think its the same tree because ours just smell kinda like garbage but me and my parents nicknamed them "stink trees". I have no idea what they're actually called.

Feel free to use the name, it's a great name.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Heh, in the town I grew up in (and a few where I am now, but way less) these white flowering trees are super popular but they smell totally awful. I don't think its the same tree because ours just smell kinda like garbage but me and my parents nicknamed them "stink trees". I have no idea what they're actually called.

Feel free to use the name, it's a great name.

Smelling like grabage is another way to describe it, I think.

Did they look like this?

"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
it's still alive after so long (And not in the 'One post every couple months where one or two posters reminisce about the good old days when the forum was way alive

remember back when the forum was obsessed with nostalgia? I miss those times.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, yeah they look just like that... ours are a bit smaller but they could just be younger.

Well, waddaya know. I had no idea they only smelt horrible to certain people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1091, 1092, 1093 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next
Page 1092 of 1133

Jump to: