welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/7/2013 - day in the life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
khan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
wobster109 wrote:
I hope she stops smoking! Smoking is not healthy!

DEVIL PEOPLE ARE NOT BOUND TO YOUR FOOLISH MORTAL CONCEPTS OF HEALTH

THEY DO BREATHE BRIMESTONE, YOU KNOW, WHEN THEY ARE IN HELL.

BUT THAT CIGARETTE? YEP, GONNA BE THE DEATH OF HER.

WHY AM I YELLING?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
The point is that all these nice, law abiding, civil people take part in the life they call seedy and immoral when no one is looking.

I wouldn't call it " seeds of immorality" it gives of such a religious vibe.

That's not what I said at all. I said 'seedy and immoral,' which are words commonly tossed together. Seedy refers to grungy divey places, and the criminals commonly associated with such places. It is also a way of calling someone untrustworthy - a con man with an angle. Immoral refersto that which is against social norms.

'Seeds of immorality' would e different, and if it were relevant, I would use such a phrase whether it were religious or not.

crayven wrote:

I'd think it's more the fact that whatever they claim they are merely human and cannot deny it indefinitely.

But they do claim they are nice, gentle moral people in the daytime, while participating in things they say they abhor. That point is driven home by Seymour preaching, then engaging in activity he has been preaching against.

They are hypocrites. And that is bad. The bad part comes from lying, and telling other people to behave a certain way while failing to behave that way themselves.

Please see: Any 'family values' politician caught in a sex scandal, gay or otherwise.

crayven wrote:

Also Tat has an alter-ego too?

For years, actually. Did you just start reading?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
This isn't a Day in the Live strip per se, since we didn't see her wake up and get out of bed (also it lasted until the following day). If you hit PREVIOUS and then NEXT, it shows the title as "Stripping."

What did Slick get the second cookie for? Or did he receive the cookie (as we saw him do), run around with it all day, stash it away while he (or at least Devil Slick in his body) went to the strip club, go to bed, get up the next morning, eat breakfast, grab the cookie and go outside to run around with it some more? That seems kind of odd even for Slick.

This strip needs some sort of "We Interrupt This Program" Sunday strip where a character stops the storyline (such as it is) in its track and explains...stuff to the readership (if I even understood exactly how much stuff there is to be explained, that'd be nearly half the battle right there), with charts and graphs and that kind of thing. Maybe it could be Mint the Ronin Devil Girl, since she's apparently the one who started this whole "Devil Slick" nonsense in the first place.

I think its more of a metaphor.

By day Slick is the attempted ally of feminism thus cookie.

By night, well Sleaze in the club.

XD

That said, I guess this strip could be summed up with "Everyone's got a dark side, She just happens to see it more often."
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is, it's from her perspective. Does it matter to women like Sapphire what people are like when they're at their best, when all she sees is the worst? Which side of the men is their "real" one? I'm sure all the fellas there would put their club time in the "exception" category, and want to see themselves and be seen as their daytime selves.

But, again, does that matter to Sapphire? Her reality is shaped by their vices. Their vice sides -are- her reality.

I think this strip is supposed to make people think. Is it enough to have a decent daytime face? Enough for whom? Who is your dark side real for?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are books, films, musicals, comics, etc, that feature prostitutes who see the lie inherent in the fantasy world their customers engage in. It might not matter to them if they weren't demonized by everyone, including the customers who they have to pretend to love.

The first ones that come to mind:

Jekyll and Hyde
Les Miserables
Miss Saigon
Best Little Whorehouse in Texas

The Handmaid's Tale

These stories each have some part that takes place in either a brothel or in a place where prostitutes frequently do business. The prostitutes lack economic or political power, and they know it. They put on their show, however, and make believe that yes, everything is just as their customers imagine it. Yes, of course they love every client that comes in. And they get to deal not only with run of the mill Joes, but also 'upstanding citizens' who, in the daytime, will go on about what a problem people like prostitutes are.

Here's an excerpt from "Lovely Ladies" -

"Old men, rich men, leaders of the land,
See them with their trousers off, they're never quite as grand!"

I'll also mention Nerdrotica, a tech support company in the webcomic Something Positive, which offers nerds and geeks tech support and phone sex all in the same package. While the employees there occasionally care about a regular, it is just a job at the end of the day.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
The point is, it's from her perspective. Does it matter to women like Sapphire what people are like when they're at their best, when all she sees is the worst? Which side of the men is their "real" one? I'm sure all the fellas there would put their club time in the "exception" category, and want to see themselves and be seen as their daytime selves.

But, again, does that matter to Sapphire? Her reality is shaped by their vices. Their vice sides -are- her reality.

I think this strip is supposed to make people think. Is it enough to have a decent daytime face? Enough for whom? Who is your dark side real for?

Its kinda interesting that at night, when shes working, she has their undivided attention... but by day, shes a stranger. Kinda disturbing. I dunno, but i might acknowledge someone i only know from doing business with them, yet if like uncle sam, if you are with your lady, would you say "hey! I saw her boobs! She strips!", or would you ignore her? I cant say, i have no gf, and i dont attent strip clubs. But i suspect you might keep it to your self.

But what makes this job not just a job?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khan wrote:
Rune wrote:

Its kinda interesting that at night, when shes working, she has their undivided attention... but by day, shes a stranger. Kinda disturbing. I dunno, but i might acknowledge someone i only know from doing business with them, yet if like uncle sam, if you are with your lady, would you say "hey! I saw her boobs! She strips!", or would you ignore her? I cant say, i have no gf, and i dont attent strip clubs. But i suspect you might keep it to your self.

The fact that it devalues you as a human being in the eyes of society?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
khan wrote:
Rune wrote:

The fact that it devalues you as a human being in the eyes of society?

Thanks Captain!

Edit: just was reminded of something. In class the teacher asked an easyish question, and one student answered it in a condescending manner, and the prof goes 'thanks captain obvious... but yeah, youre right.' This was likened to saying "what are you, a retard!? But yeah, youre correct".

But yeah, its pretty fucked up how people define others.
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khan wrote:
Rune wrote:

Her perspective. Repeat after me. Her. Perspective.
khan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune, did you know that you can see more than one thing from a perspective?

If I was Saph, i would be made uncomfortable by people pretending i am a stranger, and especially uncomfortable with contrast you are mentioning as well. We are talking inthink about two different aspects of the same thing. Im trying to explore her feelings, not just observe them.
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was answering your question about what makes her job not just a job. It's the fact that it flips her life to a completely different perspective than that of those around her. Anyone else's perspective in relation to that is irrelevant. Passively-aggressively implying that anyone else's perspective is just as important as hers in that regard is a bum move.

You say "explore" vs. "observe," I hear "filter through my own perspective" vs. "actually try to see hers."
khan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
I was answering your question about what makes her job not just a job. It's the fact that it flips her life to a completely different perspective than that of those around her. Anyone else's perspective in relation to that is irrelevant. Passively-aggressively implying that anyone else's perspective is just as important as hers in that regard is a bum move.

You say "explore" vs. "observe," I hear "filter through my own perspective" vs. "actually try to see hers."

I only have 2 eyes, the ones i was born with, and only my own experiences to ultimately draw upon to understand someone. I was asking what i thought was a rhetorical question,but i guess you have pointed out another view. Not only does it warp how we view her, and i was thinking how i would feel in such a situation, but it is also true her interactions with men will be coloured by how she regularly interacts. Complicated stuff.
lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one even acknowledged Sapphire during the day.

Everyone was captivated by her at night, when there was a full moon.

The metaphor is obvious: Sapphire is a werewolf.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to Seymour, I wonder how much of his actions are motivated by the love poisoned arrow he touched way back then? I can't remember if he had these slash fic dreams before that point or not.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puberty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: