welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 312, 313, 314  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Fear is a stupid argument. Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Imagine every moment of your life was photographed from every angle.

Are you so ashamed of your body, so afraid of the reactions of others upon looking at these images that you greatly wish to control how they are used?

Are you so pained by getting struck that you wish to control whether or not people strike you? Surely if you recognized that pain is temporary and ephemeral, you would just let it happen instead of getting bothered by it?

Have you no sense of agency or human rights at all? Person A harms Person B, and you think it is correct to blame Person B rather than Person A?

No wonder you are such a asshole - you might as well behave however you like, since any annoyance or harm we feel is our own fault, anyway.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Person A lacks empathy Person B lacks the will to fight back Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
Imagine every moment of your life was photographed from every angle.

Are you so ashamed of your body, so afraid of the reactions of others upon looking at these images that you greatly wish to control how they are used?

Are you so pained by getting struck that you wish to control whether or not people strike you? Surely if you recognized that pain is temporary and ephemeral, you would just let it happen instead of getting bothered by it?

Have you no sense of agency or human rights at all? Person A harms Person B, and you think it is correct to blame Person B rather than Person A?

No wonder you are such a asshole - you might as well behave however you like, since any annoyance or harm we feel is our own fault, anyway.

You just compared taking a picture to being struck. Get over yourself please.

you are actually trying to create victims out of people who are in a public space knowing that they will be recorded.

Last time I checked, no one asks permission to take wide angle shots

I'm the asshole?

It just sounds like you're getting overly defensive about something that doesn't even apply to you. How pretentious.
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Person A is at fault. Person B is not at fault. Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
You just compared taking a picture to being struck. Get over yourself please.
I certainly did. I am correct to do so.

Thy Brilliance wrote:
you are actually trying to create victims out of people who are in a public space knowing that they will be recorded.
I am recognizing that sexual harassment creates victims. You are blaming the victims of harm instead of the perpetrators.

Thy Brilliance wrote:
Last time I checked, no one asks permission to take wide angle shots
Completely irrelevant.

Thy Brilliance wrote:
I'm the asshole?
Yes.

Thy Brilliance wrote:
It just sounds like you're getting overly defensive about something that doesn't even apply to you. How pretentious.
It applies to me in the sense that I am part of a society that encourages or discourages this awful behaviour. I would rather we discouraged it.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who need a laugh, a need to throw up some facepalms and maybe a small spark of hope for humanity, here's:

this

which turned into this

and followed by this

and this

It's all facepalmingly shadenfreude hilarious.
Tekii

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/JessBrohard/status/320378954152300544

Most of the conversation here. Everyone, he's an atheist that makes video game videos so he totally knows what its like to be a woman in the gaming industry Sad That poor, poor soul. He knows so well he's telling this Jess person all of her experiences are invalid because he says so okay! While also calling her out for apparently invalidating his life experiences when she stated he didn't work in the game industry and is not a woman.

And I haven't even watched the video yet.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, he definitely makes me rethink my stance on never going anywhere near atheist get togethers or forums, despite my wish to communicate with other atheists. totally.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His video is downright ridiculous. He says about 4 minutes in that you just can't change culture... even though he argues culture has changed from when women were oppressed to now, when they clearly aren't because no one is telling women to sit down and shut up... except this guy, who is telling a woman that he knows better than her...

Yeah, he's all kinds of mixed up.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Oh, he definitely makes me rethink my stance on never going anywhere near atheist get togethers or forums, despite my wish to communicate with other atheists. totally.

I'm an atheist, communicate with me! Very Happy Sadly I have not studied atheism at all and probably won't bring anything new to the table. XP
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

I'm an atheist, communicate with me! Very Happy Sadly I have not studied atheism at all and probably won't bring anything new to the table. XP

I'd make the same offer but I'm actually a pretty horrible atheist. I think I'm probably more 'agnostic' but I avoid throwing the word around because it's just the equivalent of stamping "CONVERT ME" on my forehead, when in reality I'd prefer to just not know and get on with my life.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from the First Church of The Deep Dish. Have you accepted Cheesus Crust as your lord and savor?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, don't you mean lard and savour?
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then Laura Hudson wrote this and basically explained why I won't stop calling myself a feminist and also why my eyes nearly roll out of my head when people act like it's a bad word.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Yinello wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

I'd make the same offer but I'm actually a pretty horrible atheist. I think I'm probably more 'agnostic' but I avoid throwing the word around because it's just the equivalent of stamping "CONVERT ME" on my forehead, when in reality I'd prefer to just not know and get on with my life.

Very Happy Yeah, there are atheists all around the net, so thankfully I can just stay here,

I'd prefer to go, "Hey, look at this cool thing! Science is awesome!" And when I feel bad, I go look up awesome things I didn't know could be done - like how we can now 3d print raw meat. (My first reaction was: Why not print cooked meat?.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I'm from the First Church of The Deep Dish. Have you accepted Cheesus Crust as your lord and savor?

I haven't but tell me more. The mention of cheesy crust compels me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

I haven't but tell me more. The mention of cheesy crust compels me.

Auuuggh I haven't had cheesy crust in forever and really, really want some now.

But I really, REALLY don't want to eat Pizza Hut. FFFFFFF
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 194 of 314

Jump to: