welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-04-10: Djustice Unchained
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Die Hard offensive to everyone who's ever died at the hands of terrorists and every cop who's ever died on duty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Captain America offensive to every single soldier who's ever fought and died in a war.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Me, Myself, and Irene offensive to all people with dissociative identity disorder.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Harry Potter offensive to practicing Wiccans.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Heathers offensive to every teen who's committed (or attempted) suicide.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Poltergeist offensive to Native Americans.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Aladdin offensive to Arabs, and Middle Easterners in general.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus Christ Darq, who shit on your cereal this morning. People have written whole paragraphs of the most extreme bigotry on this forum and you flip out over one vague sentence.

FYI, Alladin, like most Disney movies, has some very problematic themes.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh combo's been broken.

Yrvani wrote:
Darqcyde wrote:

FUCKING CHRIST--YOU'VE PISSED ME OFF SO MUCH WITH YOUR DUMBSHIT IGNORANT SHEEPLE MENTALITY, I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF I'M BEING COHERENT. YOU'RE MAKING ME LOVE JAMES CAMERON, DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT? FUCK YOU AND YOUR CHERRY PICKING OVERLY IDEALISTIC PSEUDO-CENSORSHIP, FUCK YOU, ALL OF YOU, WITH IT UNTIL THE PIXELS MELT OFF YOUR SCREENS AND SHORT OUT YOUR KEYBOARDS!

For some reason that made me think of this: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/04/20134882350631913.html

Here's some wonderful conversations (paraphrased) I've had:

Non-white person: That' just how white folks are, you know?
Me: You mean like my mom?
Nwp: Huh?
Me: She's got blonde hair and blues eyes.

Racists person: Man, so and so is such a dumb nigger.
Me: Um, I don't think he's black. . .
Rp: Nigger, sand nigger, whatever. (they pause and look at me) No offense there.
Me: Um, I'm not middle eastern . . .

Conservative person: Look at that freaky son of a bitch, with the make-up and eye liner and tattoos. What the fuck does he think this is Halloween?
Me: You mean Tim?
Cp: You KNOW him?
Me: I go to church with him. My mom is on the church council with his dad. I did my confirmation with him--he's actually one of the most religious people I know.

Latino person: I mean, I like Charle and all, but you know how they get some times.
Me: Who?
Lp: You know, black people.
Me: My dad was way darker than she is. . .
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-c-c-c-combo breaker!
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Jesus Christ Darq, who shit on your cereal this morning. People have written whole paragraphs of the most extreme bigotry on this forum and you flip out over one vague sentence.

FYI, Alladin, like most Disney movies, has some very problematic themes.

There's been a few comments about Django here and there, and I've been pretty much trying to bite my tongue. I think what set me off is the flippant attitude of "I find this highly offensive, but I'm only going to vaguely allude to it." That and the only sacred cow I have when it comes to works of fiction is that there are no sacred cows. When it comes to censorship I take it all very personal, even if it's not inflicted upon me. I find trite little quips like what the two of them left to be worse than any wall of text or 3,000 word rant.

Mind you, this doesn't mean I don't respect other people's opinions. Who knows, they might even change my mind. But you can't imply that something is horrific and then step back when it comes to actually explaining anything. If you do, you're just being hypocritical to yourself and diminishing the value of the issue you're trying to address. In other words, if it truly is offending you, the LAST thing you should do is backdown from a fight you've started yourself.

And Aladdin was a curve ball --- it's WAY MORE offensive than your link indicates, Disney is the last reason anyone should be offended, if they're going to be offended. Aladdin wasn't part of the original Arabian Nights, it was written by some French guy in the 1800's, along with Alibaba and Sinbad. While all three are legitimate middle eastern stories, something doesn't quite seem right that three of the most commonly portrayed tales in western culture are based upon a westerner's version of Middle Eastern folklore.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally get your point Darq, but man, for a moment I thought you were Dennis. Wink

Last edited by Yinello on Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, darqcyde, it's so great you could come back and instantly remind us how much of a fucking cartoon you are.
Cactuar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, OK, man.

Obviously you're not interested in an actual conversation (or in even understanding what I meant before creating a bunch of caricatures), but just to clarify for anyone who is interested in knowing/hearing more on the subject of what about Django unchained is problematic (and hint: it has nothing to do with it being "OMG too soon" or whatever other strawman you want to dream up), I'll just leave this here, as it covers most (but alas, not all) of my feelings on the subject, and I can't find the article I'm actually looking for.

And FTR, I didn't even say I disliked either the movie or the strip. (Movie is OK, strip is OMG SO PRETTY) Because you can like problematic things. And that's OK! (as long as your recognize the problematic bits.)

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go remove baked treats from my oven.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, the 'too soon' was probably my favourite bit as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: